Pike exam

Anderoo

Even better, why not a compulsory physical and mental assessment, followed by a 5 day practical test? You would then (and only then) be issued with a license to fish for the type of fish you caught during those 5 days. Paid for out of your own pocket ( a plumbing test costs about £2000 )

Any further types of fishing will require you to pass even more tests.

And of course the over 65s would be required to take annual testing.

DON'T EVEN DISCUSS IT, OR YOU COULD END UP REGRETTING IT.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello poledark,

Did I detect a hint of Cinicisum (sp?) :lol:

Is it realy that bad an Idea though mate, I cant be the only one who has had to Piont, not always young anglers in the right direction surely?

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Then if you failed any or all of these, you would only be licenced to fish commercial 'puddles'.

Naughty boy! :clap:

Then we could introduce medicals, to see if you are in a fit state, mentally and physically to fish for your preferred species.

How many of us would pass those criteria? I'd hazard a guess that many of us would be disqualified on a technicality....

To be serious for a moment though, does anyone know exactly how the system of licensing/exams is enforced in Germany? Does it in fact work? Do they have better, more knowledgeable and responsible anglers, or do they suffer much the same as we do with licence evaders, numpties etc?

Google isn't very helpful on this point....

Janet

PM Hoppy4 Janet and ask him to respond to this topic. He spent some years in Germany and fished so he should be familiar with the way things really work over there.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Having just returned to Pike fishing after a few years, it seems to me that nothing much has changed, ie. the more experienced anglers amongst us seem to sit in judgement of those who are new or the less experienced, surely the most obvious course of action is to volunteer assistance to any fellow angler who may appear to need it, give practical advice,and demonstrate correct unhooking and handling methods. We all have to start somewhere and experience is gained on the bank, lets face it you are unlikely to be "pestered" by that novice on your favourite secret lake, but its another story on the day ticket water well known for its pike. Tollerance and guidance seems a far better solution than exams and test.

The way i see it is our sport has come on leaps and bounds in the way we handle & look after the fish we catch in resent years. Yes you still come across an inexperienced angler or an young prat at times, but i don't see how a exam is going to help that given that there is no better way of learning than practical experience and no way of policing against young prats.

Given that pike and other predatory fish wound and kill there own kind and others all the time, what do a few inexperenced anglers or young prats matter?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I would dearly love to see such a thing as a "basic competency" test be required before fishing for various species............but seriously doubt I ever will.

There has though been a definate rise in various angling clubs/anglers realisation of the need to protect the pike in their waters.Much of this we have the PAC to thank for.

FAS isnt the only club/syndicate/water to have brought in the "Pike stamp" though and its a great shame they dont publicise this fact more I know of 6 other bodies who require competence in handling and unhooking to be proven before they are issued a "pike permit".On top of this there are several others who all not making attendance mandatory ask me back each year for a "teach in" for their members.

Doesnt cost the clubs I have dealings with (or their members) any extra cash.Only a little more effort.

My only dissapointment with the PAC's handling of this whole issue (for those who dont know the general feeling of most PAC members/commitee is that bringing in any pike "licencing" would be detrimental to bringing newcomers into the sport) is that they dont even have a set level of competence for their own members.I have always found it a bit peeving that the people who are at the front of preaching pike preservation have some first class numpties (well they pay their dues and wear the badge) in our own club!!! I also wish they would do as many teach ins as I do/did especially now my health is slowing me up a bit.

Be great if it was brought in but hard to do so it wont!

I think Pike are a slightly special case here due to their vuneralbility.This comes about due to their physiology and the methods required to catch them.As well as a sporting fish they also play an important part in the natural balance of a water.This can be easily upset if too many are killed through bad angling.So much so that several of the most informed and sucsessfull fishery managers dont allow piking.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The way i see it is our sport has come on leaps and bounds in the way we handle & look after the fish we catch in resent years. Yes you still come across an inexperienced angler or an young prat at times, but i don't see how a exam is going to help that given that there is no better way of learning than practical experience and no way of policing against young prats.

Given that pike and other predatory fish wound and kill there own kind and others all the time, what do a few inexperenced anglers or young prats matter?

A couple of points I would like to take up from this post please Lutra.

Things have in general improved amongst pike anglers but the big threat to pike these days are the hundreds more anglers who now turn to pikefishing in the winter.These are not just "inexperenced anglers or young prats" the bulk of these are experienced anglers who have caught several big fish....and as such "know all about it and can handle big fish" they are Im afraid disalusioned "instant" winter carpers!! Sorry but true.

"there is no better way of learning than practical experience" Yes thats the way myself and most of my generation had to learn.....and also why we killed and maimed so many in the process! These teach ins and indeed the sugested "licensing" of pikers would entail practical instruction before any testing.Ive never found any anglers on my days/weekends who didnt think that learning how to BOTH catch more pike AND handle them better wasnt agood idea! Ive certainly never stood in the way of some one wanting to learn and become a better angler so it shouldnt be a problem to anyone.....other than the guys who just dont want to learn and it would be better for all if these simply werent able to fish! Easy isnt it?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Easy isnt it?

No I don't think it is.

Firstly can i say I'm not a pike man, just not a side of our sport that has ever taken my fancy. I have caught a few over the years and some quite nice ones (big teens even one about 15lb on a pole) but always by accident fishing for other things.

I think I could quite easily fit the category of angler you talk about (got most of the stuff id need to go and do a spot of pike fishing) I think (just need to buy some long forceps). So maybe you can tell me why not.

so its a cold frosty day, think i will try my hand at piking today. Off i go with my carp gear and some extra bits for piking ( Barbless trebles, wire trace, big float, glove, dead baits and my new long forceps). I set up the way i read in a basic fishing book last night and sit back in my carp chair to watch this big float. O a bit of beginner's luck the float gos on a run i hit it and its fish on. Done a bit of carpin so i think this shouldn't be to hard. Play the fish out and land it in my big carp net and pop it on my carp mat. Now lets see put my glove on this things got teeth. Turn it on its back and slip a couple of fingers in under its chin and open its mouth and gently take the hooks out with my forceps just like the book said. Then just like a carp i pop it back making sure it swims off nice and strong.

So put me in my place and tell me what Ive done wrong. I won't bite just got a quest to learn.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep