Pike exam

Anderoo

Those over 65 should be banned, not even given the option of a test!

Gee, thanks... What about a ban on Tractor Boys ? :lol::lol::lol:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naughty boy! :clap:

How many of us would pass those criteria? I'd hazard a guess that many of us would be disqualified on a technicality....

To be serious for a moment though, does anyone know exactly how the system of licensing/exams is enforced in Germany? Does it in fact work? Do they have better, more knowledgeable and responsible anglers, or do they suffer much the same as we do with licence evaders, numpties etc?

Google isn't very helpful on this point....

Janet

Janet...I live in Denmark and during German holidays we have a lot of German anglers fishing our waters. I see no evidence of superior ethics or ability. One has to have a rod licence for fishing Danish coastal waters, and every single year, the serried ranks of Teutonic piscators get hammered fishing off harbour walls and breakwaters for herring, macky, flatties etc, and I've experienced at first hand some German chappie having shelled out over a hundred quid for a wrecking trip, trying to convince the bailiffs waiting for the charters to land, that he had "forgotten" to buy his rod licence.

I've also seen the minimum size guidelines totally flouted by the same nationals. I'm no xenophobe, and I have to say that Danes are also caught during this annual "netting" exercise, but in smaller numbers than our visitors(!)

its not just about the angler ,the FAS teach ins include bringing some of your your tackle to make sure you have the adequate tackle for unhooking them!

pointless trying to land a pike in a match scoop type landing net and having only a plastic disgorger in your tackle box to try and unhook it.

they also run junior carp and barbel teach ins but these are optional

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I would have no problem with clubs running teachins for mrmbers...actually that is a damned good idea!

But, please no compulsory state run testing...just imagine the distorted statistics and how they could (would) be used..........

"the majority of new anglers had no adequate skills in fish handling" so "for the fish's sake don't pass them", and this? " best stop fishing altogether to protect the fish" (RSPB ? )

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I would have no problem with clubs running teachins for mrmbers...actually that is a damned good idea!

But, please no compulsory state run testing...just imagine the distorted statistics and how they could (would) be used..........

"the majority of new anglers had no adequate skills in fish handling" so "for the fish's sake don't pass them", and this? " best stop fishing altogether to protect the fish" (RSPB ? )

Den

I'm with you on this one Den. :thumbs:

Clubs to introduce their own if they want, but a National one would be just another stick to beat angling with.

It's in our own hands to teach and advise other anglers, as and when it's needed.

But to do this it means all anglers pulling together, be they pike, or carp specific, match or 'all round' anglers.

But over the years I have despaired of ever seeing anglers 'drinking from the same cup', there's to much of 'us and them' amongst all disciplines.

Oh, and I'm glad at least Janet saw the sarcasm in my earlier post. ;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

So put me in my place and tell me what Ive done wrong. I won't bite just got a quest to learn.

And what makes you think that I think I have the right to put you in your place? Ive just given you my own opinion based on many years of being involved at all levels with pike fishing.Im not the "pike police" as if you take all my post in to context you will see.

No matter what youve wrote Im in no position to judge you untill I have actually seen you handle a fish am I? Dont worry though if I thought you were doing something wrong I wouldnt hesitate to try and change this.I would like to think though that this would be done in a nice friendly,non judgemental not looking down on you way.

As youve got it so sussed out then why would you object to actually demonstrating this before you were given permission to fish for pike (intentionally)? Mind you the referal to "long forceps" is a bit of a give away.

Plenty of people catch pike by accident whilst targeting other species and all though they enjoy the experience have no desire to do it intentionally.Never going to be able to (and wouldnt want to!) legislate against that.But those captures arnt the problem.As long as the captors of these fish have an understanding of the basics ie no need to kill pike for the sake of it (which thanks to the PAC's work over the years and better coverage by the media is much more the norm) we are all happy.

Its people targetting them intentionally that Im talking about....................after all not many pole anglers use trebles.

No sorry Lutra despite the fact that Ive always adopted the "slowly,slowly" way of spreading the word I think if an angler wants to put all that effort into targeting pike then it aint asking too much to expect them to learn how to do it safely,safely for the pike that is.Jeeze surely its in their own interest?And as for the people who dont intentionally fish for them then why worry about any need for learning or a test etc any way?Simply doesnt concern them does it? Bit like a die hard piker worrying if bloodworm gets banned in his local clubs matchs!

Maybe Im missing your point? if so please try again to help me see it

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Maybe Im missing your point? if so please try again to help me see it

Sorry if i was not to the point enough.

What makes pike a special case to need exams to fish for them over other species?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The point is, Lutra, that pike are susceptible to bad handling, perhaps more than any other species. The simple fact is that there are now too many would be pikers and pike stocks are being depleted. We need to protect what we have.

Vagabond said: 'What about a ban on Tractor Boys ?' Couldn't agree more! On the ball City!

The point is, Lutra, that pike are susceptible to bad handling, perhaps more than any other species. The simple fact is that there are now too many would be pikers and pike stocks are being depleted. We need to protect what we have.

Vagabond said: 'What about a ban on Tractor Boys ?' Couldn't agree more! On the ball City!

I can see your point but it doesn't stop with pike fishing, on my local river the barbel suffer from the carp boys having a go for something different and when i see and hear of barbel going belly up in the height of summer i get pretty p. off. Other waters with quality bream and tench suffer as well. I caught a tench last year that's face was in such a bad way it brought a lump to my throat.

I don't know what the answer is but i don't think it is an exam for pike fishing as other sides of our sport would want the same and it would just get silly ( the end of the allround angler).

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

On the ball City!

Well SOMEONE needs to get on the ball at Carrow Rd - not only bottom of Division 2 but points adrift. (It is still Division 2 BTW whatever fancy names the FA dream up )

As Delia said "Let's be avven yer!"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...