What is it they say about boats??

Davy Holt

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

I've had it on good authority (well Norrie told me   :P  )

that the chances are, the engine is gubbed, tis annoying as it was the better of the two. I'll put a new belt on it next weekend in the off chance that the valves are ok.. it was only doing 2000 rpm when the belt went.

:cool: Hi Davy, I had the cam belt go on a OHC Cortina, fortunately I was in neutral and no damage was done as the engine stopped immediately. Had I been in gear and driving, the engine would have been wrecked as the wheels would have carried on turning the pistons but not the cam, hence, mush. I think you will find that once you've fitted the belt and timed the engine you may be OK. Good luck. :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norm, it was a OHC Cortina that I had go too, and the same, out of gear, fitted a new belt and it was fine.

Last one was a Mondeo.

Davy, where do you keep the boat?

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Hiya,

That's what I'm hoping on Norm... :)

btw finally got to test the rod in anger.. well at least with a bait on it

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

That's what I'm hoping on Norm...   :)  

btw finally got to test the rod in anger.. well at least with a bait on it    

:cool: I'm waiting for a report and picture of a 100+ flattie with the rod in the picture. Don't tell me I've got to get Paul to drive me up there to do it myself. :D

I hope you got it shut down quickly, I think I was ripped off, they said I had bent all of the valves

Its been a while but if you need a hand let me know

[ 06. March 2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: David.W ]

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Norm .. I did try on Saturday.. but with the pair of Jonah's I had out with me .. what chance did have I

The plan was for a proper go today but that went out the window when the belt went :(

Thanks david.. I'll keep you in mind

Davy

Davy Holt:

Norm .. I did try on Saturday.. but with the pair of Jonah's I had out with me .. what chance did have I    

:cool:  Without mentioning names, I know what you mean.  :D  

The plan was for a proper go today but that went out the window when the belt went   :(

Thanks david.. I'll keep you in mind    

If the timing belt went, with the engine going, then the engine will need rebuilt. I asked a couple of knowlegeable fitters tonight. I don't think there is any other solution to this problem, other than a new engine. It shows the importance of timing engine hours, I think it works out 10 minutes idling equals one mile travelled, thus 48,000 miles (normal time belt change interval) equals 800 hours, if my arithmetic is right, that would equate roughly to 80 trips (bearing in mind that working the boat is not idling and adds extra wear on the engine); that probably means a timing belt change every three years given your level of activity and assuming the engine is sweet when you install it.

I think you need a new engine and a carefully worked out service schedule.

Best of luck, I hope you get afloat soon.

Rockling.

Hiya,

The belts were brand new when the engines were fitted around a year and a half ago. Having done the maths when the engines were fitted I was working on plan of belt changing every 2 years. So either my maths was well out or it was a faulty belt :(

I'm now going to err on the side of caution and do a yearly belt change.. just in case. :)

Davy