Australian Carp Fishing

carp_et

Hi, we live in "aussie"

We have "read-up" on all the different types of carp rigs, and have tried them, but have never yet even had a "bite".

We have fished in waters here in "aussie" that are supposedly "crawling" with Carp, but alas, we have never received the tinyiest "bite".

What are we doing wrong ?

Is carp fishing in "aussie" different ?.. different rigs?... different bait?

Can anyone help us please

Keen "wannabe" (tryhard) carp fisherman

carp_et@yahoo.com

OZ carping is much like US carping in that our fish are not pressured and don't need the refined rigs or baits that heavily fished UK lakes might.

On the other hand, our carp have also not been educated to recognize boilies as food so without a period of baiting up an area (weeks usually) they may ignore prepared carp baits.

Sweet corn on a #6 hook and a sliding weight is most likely your best option to try first. You can also soak maize for a few days until it swells and softens then fish with it.

If you start getting bites but no fish, try hair rigging the same baits and see if things improve.

Note that when the carp are most active in the shallows they are busy spawning and almost impossible to catch.

Beyond those basics, if you describe the sorts of places you fish we can give some more specific advice.

I have found that while some people will tell you they are easy to catch and may even speak of days when they easily caught dozens, they may not be speaking the absolute truth. I fish some large rivers & lakes that contain a good carp population and have days when my results are zero bites.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi, we live in "aussie"

We have "read-up" on all the different types of carp rigs, and have tried them, but have never yet even had a "bite".

We have fished in waters here in "aussie" that are supposedly "crawling" with Carp, but alas, we have never received the tinyiest "bite".

carp_et@yahoo.com

.......... so what will you do if you do land a decent carp then???? it'll have to be killed or you'll face a hefty fine I'm led to believe. Isn't it illegal to return any carp caught or is that just some parts of Oz? my (now ex) fishing buddy emigrated to Oz last June an lives near Perth, he's ithing to wet a carp line but refuses to do so because of the antiquated law that says he MUST kill every carp he catches. He's given up carp fishing and doesn't get on with the more popular lure-chucking Ozzie fishing too well.

Please advise if there are places he can fish where returning carp is acceptable, it'll be the best Christmas pressie I can send him if it's close to perth.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Hi, we live in "aussie"

carp_et@yahoo.com

Where about you based matey?

Fished for Carp in Adelaide and Perth

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

.......... so what will you do if you do land a decent carp then???? it'll have to be killed or you'll face a hefty fine I'm led to believe. Isn't it illegal to return any carp caught or is that just some parts of Oz? my (now ex) fishing buddy emigrated to Oz last June an lives near Perth, he's ithing to wet a carp line but refuses to do so because of the antiquated law that says he MUST kill every carp he catches. He's given up carp fishing and doesn't get on with the more popular lure-chucking Ozzie fishing too well.

Please advise if there are places he can fish where returning carp is acceptable, it'll be the best Christmas pressie I can send him if it's close to perth.

I doubt if you will get much good news for him in the Perth area for Christmas. For one thing there are very few carp in the area and where there may be some it is illegal to fish for them. Most you will see are koi carp which have been put into drainage pools for insect control.

The law regarding the killing of carp in open waters is not an antiquated law, the law of that nature was the one that allowed the introduction of carp into this country initially. They have ruined a number of waters and put indigenous fish at risk. The people to blame for the fact that carp are now killed are the people who brought them here - not the people who are trying to rectify a stupid irresponsible mistake.

It would be better if English anglers refrained from making remarks of that nature when talking of a country about which they know nothing. I have no doubt that many - perhaps Polly as well - would be up in arms if Aussies started telling UK anglers what fish they should have in their waters, or even that, like us, they should kill carp.

As far as carp-et's question is concerned the carp I have encountered on the eastern side of the country have been pretty easily fooled. I have just used a light link ledger with a size 4 hook and a piece of crust as bait fished in the margins. They will also take sweet corn as Newt suggests but being as most of the waters I have fished for them have ducks which are fed bread by visitors I have tended to fish in the feeding areas with a bait with which they are most familiar.

Here is one of the local carp - an illegally caught fish. Well, I hope that it will show.

post-5-1195460724_thumb.jpg

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

That is one strange looking critter in that photo Chevin.

Nice looking fish though.

:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Murray river is full of carp and as has already been mentioned you are supposed to kill them.

Spent a week on a hired houseboat on the murray about five years ago now and caught lots fishing off the back of houseboat in the mournings and at night using live freshwater shrimp/prawns not surewhich but a drop net baited with liver did the trick then its just a case of hooking them through the tail, They are about the same length as our native cray but a not as wide in the body and the carp love them.

They are thought to of been the reason for poor fishing for murray cod in the river[ they grow to nile perch size] due to colouring up the river but the way they take water from said river is prob as much to blame one minute low flow the next almost flood conditions.

As has been said sweetcorn etc will catch you lots of fish but they have to be in feeding mood and be in the said river lake in fair numbers .

I am not a carp angler at all [pike and perch] but even with my lack of idea found it fun but as i said lots in the murray , It is the border bitween victoria and nsw but obviously its a bloody big place so ask the locals if carp are in the waters your fishing.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: