Changing email address?

Pangolin

Another vote for Google here. Peggy's used Google for some time and I'll be opening an account when we've changed ISPs (hopefully today!). Peggy's used Hotmail and Yahoo but much prefers Google.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ever so much Ian and everyone. I must weigh this all up when my brain is in gear. Sounds like Googlemail is a great option, though Orange have come back and suggested I phone their tech support. It will be interesting to speak to a human from there.

I've almost abandoned the idea of changing ISP, though I'm interested to hear you're doing it Steve. How long did it result in you being off line?

john clarke

I've almost abandoned the idea of changing ISP, though I'm interested to hear you're doing it Steve. How long did it result in you being off line?

It was all very smooth. The MAC code arrived the day after we asked for it. BT arranged delivery of the equipment (that included an internet phone and a new router for wireless broadband as we have 2 computers here) for a named day a week later. Peggy's brother installed everything yesterday, and said it was very simple (although we could have paid BT £50 to set it up).

Total down time about 45 minutes. Had we just had the one computer it would have been even less.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Just another thought - I'm using Cloudmark anti-spam - costs about £15 a year, but it's filtered out 100% of spam for me. It's excellent in my book:

Cloudmark

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Update:

I have just upgraded to Vista on this computer, I still have XP on my laptop. By the way I found out the hard way that you cannot upgrade from XP Pro to Vista Home Premium, nice one Microsoft.

Vista has replaced Outlook Express with Windows Mail, Windows Mail does not support Webmail servers, not even Microsoft's own. So I have spent £15 on nothing, cheers Microsoft, nice one.

Microsoft Livemail is not bad but on reflection it seems from what others have said here, Googlemail may be the way to go.

Sounds impressive, but how much spam were you getting, Westie?

John

Hi John

Not masses - but between 20-30 per day. How it would cope with hundreds, I don't know, but it 'learned' what was not intended for me almost immediately, with no mistakes either. I may have just been lucky, though.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

I got myself a PAID anti-spam address from SPAMCOP. Costs me I think around £20 a year?? But I was REGULARLY getting around 300 to 500 spam messages a day!!! I now am down to around 1 to 20!!! ALL because of SPAMCOP! I use that address for 90% of my day to day postings. I also use GMAIL and have several addresses on there. I can get ALL mail delivered to ANYONE@gmail to one single mailbox, I also have my BUSINESS addresses.

But Spamcop is brilliant and I report ALL spam from Gmail (Which unfortunately does NOT allow reporting of spam) VIA Spamcop!

In my opinion the best FREE email provider has to be Gmail. But paid for is Spamcop. IF however you want to get your OWN domain and email I reckon 123 from Pipex is the cheapest. NOT the best!! The cheapest. If you want ANY help? And believe you me I have been there and done it!!! Please feel free to ask for a Gmail account!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

With Outlook Express being targeted so much by viruses, I think it is best to avoid using it to access your webmail.

I have a domain name but get thousands of returned emails supposedly sent using my domain name but with addresses that I have never used. I put it down to something having got into my Outlook Express address book when I had my domain name email address linked to it.

I have started getting a little SPAM at my Gmail account, but it is mostly all filtered out by Google.

If you don't want SPAM, don't enter any of those free raffles at shows, where you have to give your Email address!

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Well, I've taken Jim's advice and opened my Googlemail account. It looks good so far and I've managed to switch addresses for my important websites too.

One question to the Googlemail regulars: Where is the addressbook?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.