QUIVER TIP FEMALE THREAD

saskcarp

Sascarp,

One of the advantages that was originally marketted about the spring tip is that once the sring has cracked open the pull required to keep it bending is just about the same through the entire travel of the tip, as opposed to a quiver tip where it gradually gets harder to put it round.

Fine in principal but they proved to be a nightmare when casting but would be ideal for ice fishing.

One thing you would have to watch for is the coils of the spring icing up and effectively sticking the spring together. A dribble of glycerin would solve this problem.

springtipsmall.jpg

Thats one complete with screw in tip. The actual tip has been removed or broken sometime in the past.

PM an address and consider it in the post.

Its a circa 1980 model so some refurb may be required.

The small spring pushes inside the large one to increase or decrease the tension. The rubbers have hardened and may need replacing but at least its a start.

If its no good at least you will have a screw in tip.

Cheers

Dave

At last!

Thanks Dave, I was beginning to think only Budgie and me remembered them! :unsure:

First time I've seen one with two springs though.

John.

P.S. Did someone forget to put the clock back on their camera? :D

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol,

I was around and fishing when they came out. We fished roundhay park a lot which in winter was a great tip water.

That has been sat in a cupboard in the garage since the early eighties. The tip was a soft paralell one that got broke sometime in the distant past. Probably about 10 inches long with two rings.

The twin spring is the deluxe model. The idea is if you push the tip into the small spring the larger heavier spring is ideal on slowmoving rivers, but when pulled out to the end of the small spring it is very sensitive on lakes. great idea but you lived in fear of the line catching in the spring and cracking off.

It needs the four rubbers replacing with new HD shrink tube and a new tip sliding in. Should be as good as new.

Will hunt further in the garage because if saskcarp sends me an address I can probably dig out some screw in quivers to go with. We used to try anything back in those days and ended up settling on swing tips about 2' 6" long with solder wound round the end to suit the lake drift on different days.

Going through that cupboard has been a real trip down memory lane. Anyone wanna buy 3 spiltshot dispensers...complete with LEAD shot...remember that stuff :D

A Leeds Match Arial...in bits...may be worth putting back together.

A Abu 505...complete with totally useless star drag :)

2 x abu 506's...bit worse for wear.

And an abu 507...hmmm...now that was a decent reel.

Trip to ebay coming up :)

Over the last few years I have moved onto sea fishing but I still get out now and again.

Cheers

Dave.

PS the camera is set perfectly for next summers cod bonanza ;)

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Roundhay Park??

You from Leeds then?

We must have fished it around the same time, spent a lot of my youth chasing the roach and perch there. I've not been for about 6-7 years, but I've heard the bream and pike are showing more now.

I preferred it before they put the new dam in, when the waterfall to the baths was there. We had some good roach catches from the swim under the big tree on the wall, near the bridge.

Small world ain't it?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Roundhay Park??

You from Leeds then?

We must have fished it around the same time, spent a lot of my youth chasing the roach and perch there. I've not been for about 6-7 years, but I've heard the bream and pike are showing more now.

I preferred it before they put the new dam in, when the waterfall to the baths was there. We had some good roach catches from the swim under the big tree on the wall, near the bridge.

Small world ain't it?

John.

Gozzer,

Had a walk round it a few weeks ago. Not fished it for 3 years...80lb of bream then.

Apparently its fishing cr*p. Leeds have dropped it as a club water, the bream dont show, and its hard work.

Pike and comorants on the increase.

What a waste of a fishery that has produced 52 2lb plus roach for me in my youth. It had the potential to be the uk's best roach/bream venue...but then they decided to fix the dam.

It was a short cycle ride from home and I went every day. I was there the day they put 500 small bream in ...boy did they grow and multiply...I was there when the first trials of the locslide float were being done...Dave ( ex world champ )forgot his surname who is credited with designing it was doing trials and gave us one to have a go with.

Sadly I now live up north.

Cheers

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Dave Thomas is the one your on about Dave, fished a few matches with him and his wife Avis. (she was a damn good angler).

You did a lot better than me, I never had a 2lber, 1 3/4lb best I ever did, but plenty up to that weight.

Perch to 2lb + as well, especially near the old 'scout boat'.

Shame it's gone down hill, it was a handy place for those without transport.

It was always a 'dodgy' place to fish at dusk though, and then there was the joggers, dog walkers, boats and the kids who tried to distract you while their mates pinched some of your gear!

Blimey! Thinking back no wonder we preferred to fish it in winter. ;)

John.

Edited by gozzer

Dave Thomas is the one your on about Dave, fished a few matches with him and his wife Avis. (she was a damn good angler).

You did a lot better than me, I never had a 2lber, 1 3/4lb best I ever did, but plenty up to that weight.

Perch to 2lb + as well, especially near the old 'scout boat'.

Shame it's gone down hill, it was a handy place for those without transport.

It was always a 'dodgy' place to fish at dusk though, and then there was the joggers, dog walkers, boats and the kids who tried to distract you while their mates pinched some of your gear!

Blimey! Thinking back no wonder we preferred to fish it in winter. ;)

John.

Thats the guy.

If it sums up how well its fishing, on a walk round it about a month ago there were two people fishing it an neither had caught despite it being ideal conditions and free fishing.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Sascarp,

One of the advantages that was originally marketted about the spring tip is that once the sring has cracked open the pull required to keep it bending is just about the same through the entire travel of the tip, as opposed to a quiver tip where it gradually gets harder to put it round.

Fine in principal but they proved to be a nightmare when casting but would be ideal for ice fishing.

One thing you would have to watch for is the coils of the spring icing up and effectively sticking the spring together. A dribble of glycerin would solve this problem.

springtipsmall.jpg

Thats one complete with screw in tip. The actual tip has been removed or broken sometime in the past.

PM an address and consider it in the post.

Its a circa 1980 model so some refurb may be required.

The small spring pushes inside the large one to increase or decrease the tension. The rubbers have hardened and may need replacing but at least its a start.

If its no good at least you will have a screw in tip.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave, PM sent. :thumbs: :thumbs:

The Gas

pirate.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Dave, received package in the post yesterday. You are a top bloke in my books. As soon as I make my quiver tip ice rod I will post up a pick of it and hopefully with some walleye ,yellow perch,Burbot etc.. Once again, thanks you made my day Mate! B):thumbs:B)

The Gas

pirate.gif