Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

Just interested to see how many anglers also shoot and hunt. I personally hate that angling is thought of in the same category as the other two, but maybe I'm in the minority?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just interested to see how many anglers also shoot and hunt. I personally hate that angling is thought of in the same category as the other two, but maybe I'm in the minority?

I like to hunt shoot and fish. I was brought up on a farm and upon leaving school got a job as an underkeeper so have always been in that circle. Fishing is without doubt a form of hunting, what you do with your quarry is up to you. Unless I want something specific to eat I always treat my catch with care and release it.

I just fish and am not really comfortable with the geezas behind my house that shoot the birds for fun. .

Report them to the Police and/or the RSPCA/RSPB. Although it is legal to suit many British birds with suitable weapons (e.g. you may shoot a wood pigeon with a legal limit air rifle, but not a pheasant), only those who posses authority and have reasonable cause to do so may.

Geoff

I fish (all varieties) and shoot. By hunt I assume that you mean fox hunting on horseback with a pack of hounds as that is what hunt means to me.

I have never hunted on horseback (I don't ride) but have always supported ALL fieldsports including hunting because I feel it is hypocritical in the extreme for me to take part in my chosen fieldsports but wish to deny others the right tp take part in theirs.

For this reason I went on both Countryside Alliance marches on London against the anti hunting bill.

Anyone who is anti fieldsports should be anti all fieldsports. I don't think that you can be selective. Either for or against.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Report them to the Police and/or the RSPCA/RSPB. Although it is legal to suit many British birds with suitable weapons (e.g. you may shoot a wood pigeon with a legal limit air rifle, but not a pheasant), only those who posses authority and have reasonable cause to do so may.

I think that he was referring to organised pheasant shooting.

BTW who said that it was illegal to shoot a pheasant with an air rifle, assuming that you have permission to shoot the pheasant in the first place.

Edit

OK just looked it up and answered my own question.

It is the Wildlife and countryside act 1981 that states that only "vermin" can be shot with a air rifle.

I don't shoot one myself so wasn't aware.

Don't think that I can agree with shooting an animal the size of a mink with a 12 ft/lb air weapon. If I shoot something I expect to be able to kill it <_<

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

'Hunting' so far as the meaning of that word goes in British country sports is sadly currently illegal in the UK. so I put down 'shootin' an fishin'. However I agree with Tigger, in the loose usage of the word, it's ALL a form of hunting.

MC, I admire your position, of course it's perfectly fine to not want to shoot of hunt things. What becomes irritating are those who condemn those of us who do, without first looking honestly about how thier lives impact upon other creatures.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

'Hunting' so far as the meaning of that word goes in British country sports is sadly currently illegal in the UK. so I put down 'shootin' an fishin'. However I agree with Tigger, in the loose usage of the word, it's ALL a form of hunting.

I clicked all three as i put rabbiting (no gun) under hunting.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I think that he was referring to organised pheasant shooting.

BTW who said that it was illegal to shoot a pheasant with an air rifle, assuming that you have permission to shoot the pheasant in the first place.

Edit

OK just looked it up and answered my own question.

It is the Wildlife and countryside act 1981 that states that only "vermin" can be shot with a air rifle.

I don't shoot one myself so wasn't aware.

Don't think that I can agree with shooting an animal the size of a mink with a 12 ft/lb air weapon. If I shoot something I expect to be able to kill it <_<

I've shot many Pheasants with a decent slug gun. If you shoot them in the head/neck there dead instantly, If you shoot it in the chest/lungs it won't last long or you should get chance to pop another in to it and go pick it up. The good thing about shooting Pheasnats Rabits etc with the slug gun is their not bruised or smashed like often happens with shotguns and far better if you want them for the table. If you shoot a mink in the head it will also be dead instantly.

I fish (all varieties) and shoot. By hunt I assume that you mean fox hunting on horseback with a pack of hounds as that is what hunt means to me.

I have never hunted on horseback (I don't ride) but have always supported ALL fieldsports including hunting because I feel it is hypocritical in the extreme for me to take part in my chosen fieldsports but wish to deny others the right tp take part in theirs.

For this reason I went on both Countryside Alliance marches on London against the anti hunting bill.

Anyone who is anti fieldsports should be anti all fieldsports. I don't think that you can be selective. Either for or against.

I agree with that, just a point to note though, not all hunts are mounted, our local ones are foot/fell packs, horses wouldn't get up to some of the places.

The united field sports lobby was the way to go, despite it's failure to prevent our masters in Westminster getting their way. There was a potential for shooting and hunting to seperate themselves. There is sometimes conflicts of interests between the two sports, inevitable in a small counrty with limited resources of space. For example the keepers rage when a years work might be wasted when the full field of hounds, huntsmen and followers go charging through a covert the day before a shoot. However when the chips were down many realised that the whole of country sports were/are under threat and acted unitedly.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I've shot many Pheasants with a decent slug gun. If you shoot them in the head/neck there dead instantly, If you shoot it in the chest/lungs it won't last long or you should get chance to pop another in to it and go pick it up. The good thing about shooting Pheasnats Rabits etc with the slug gun is their not bruised or smashed like often happens with shotguns and far better if you want them for the table. If you shoot a mink in the head it will also be dead instantly.

Not doubting it effectiveness, but i didn't think it was legal to shoot game with an air gun.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep