Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

Not doubting it effectiveness, but i didn't think it was legal to shoot game with an air gun.

I can't see it being illegal to use an airrifle to shoot game as in the airrifle mags i've seen years back it was promoted. If it is illegal it never stopped me Brian :D

At the end of the day it's illegal to spit on the pavement but a lot do it :o:)

Brian, I'll give you a bell later m8, I don't think things look to tropical for tomorrow bud.

Edited by tigger

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to look it up:

Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981.

All birds and animals are protected by law.

Certain species are classified as pests or vermin, and only these species can be legitimately shot. This can only be done by authorised persons. An authorised person is someone who has the proper permission from the land owner to control pests on that land.

Air Gun Prey.

The following pests are concidered suitable for controlling using an air weapon.The UK law is 12ftlb for a rifle and 6ftlb for a pistol.

Brown Rat.

Grey squirrel.

Rabbit.

Crow.

Rook.

Magpie.

Jay.

Wood pigeon.

Collared dove.

Feral pigeon.

House mouse.

Mink.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I don't think reporting them would go down well. It's a landed estate with a "shoot".

:-)

MC

Well that's hardly shooting birds just for fun in my opinion, it's ruddy difficult to cook and eat them whilst they're flying! :)

If hunting to eat, and enjoying it, is a moral crime in your book, where does that leave angling (where we hunt, injure, and return with no end product 'just for fun')? You see the dilemma I hope? ;)

The UK law is 12ftlb for a rifle and 6ftlb for a pistol.

I hate to be pedantic (OK, I lie!), but the Law states UNDER 12ft/lbs and 6ft/lbs. 12ft/lbs and over requires a Section 1 F.A.C.

Edited by Angly

Geoff

Anyone who is anti fieldsports should be anti all fieldsports. I don't think that you can be selective. Either for or against.
I disagree. When fox hunting was made illegal I was against the ban, mostly because I don't like people banning things. It was a close run thing though because I kept hearing from pro hunting types that hunting foxes with hounds was an 'efficient' means of fox control and I didn't accept that then and I still don't today. Hunting deer with dogs and hounds is totally wrong IMO.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I just actively fish but I have shot in the past and would have no problems in doing so again.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I clicked all three as i put rabbiting (no gun) under hunting.

Said John, "I am a splendid shot"

and Sandy said, "I've fished a lot"

While Pat said, "I'm a sporting man,

and I catch anything I can"

From "Sportsmen Three"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I disagree. When fox hunting was made illegal I was against the ban, mostly because I don't like people banning things. It was a close run thing though because I kept hearing from pro hunting types that hunting foxes with hounds was an 'efficient' means of fox control and I didn't accept that then and I still don't today. Hunting deer with dogs and hounds is totally wrong IMO.

Hunting with dogs is the finest sport in the world. It's a good selective way also as the fittest will usually be the ones to run another day.

Hunting with dogs is the finest sport in the world. It's a good selective way also as the fittest will usually be the ones to run another day.
It's not efficient in terms of man hours per fox. Where I was brought up the rule was, "thou shalt not suffer a fox to live", we didn't want any getting away "for another day" and we didn't have daft gamekeepers breeding the bloody things so that the hunt had enough to hunt.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

fox hunting isnt illegal :blink:hunting with two or more dogs is but "driving" foxes towards guns isnt ,so long as mr hound doesnt kill the fox you can use as many as you like

hunting is the word to remember.

its labours effort to punish the country dweller riding about in red coats ,pity ooop north horses are substituted by feet :D thatl confuse labour

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson