Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

I think you should only kill what you or someone else are going to eat. And all forms of hunting/shooting should be done in a method in which the target animal dies within seconds(not chasing a fox across the country, when you could just as easy shoot it). Also with fishing if you catch and kill it should be the same.

Everyone has a right to kill for the plate, (and in some cases population control) i just dont think taking a life should be done for the sole purpose of 'fun'.

But on game shootings, it all depends on the keeper, i've met some really nice ones who do everything in the proper way andthere can't be a bad word said. But on the other hand especially up in sandringham, they have no regard for laws,the public or anyone else. I'm sure there's always some sort of charges against them and nothing gets done.(not to mention prince harry shooting 2 hen harriers).

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should only kill what you or someone else are going to eat. And all forms of hunting/shooting should be done in a method in which the target animal dies within seconds(not chasing a fox across the country, when you could just as easy shoot it). Also with fishing if you catch and kill it should be the same.

Everyone has a right to kill for the plate, (and in some cases population control) i just dont think taking a life should be done for the sole purpose of 'fun'.

But on game shootings, it all depends on the keeper, i've met some really nice ones who do everything in the proper way andthere can't be a bad word said. But on the other hand especially up in sandringham, they have no regard for laws,the public or anyone else. I'm sure there's always some sort of charges against them and nothing gets done.(not to mention prince harry shooting 2 hen harriers).

I would be a bit careful about accusations on a public forum, unless of course you have some proof and not just hearsay.

Re. your remark about just as easy shoot foxes it is obvious that you have not read or possibly understood any of the preceding posts

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

the pro hunting lobby earned nothing but scorn from me because of the claim that it was 'efficient', 20 dogs, as many horses, maybe more and god knows how many hangers on and followers does not seem very efficient of to me.

Ergonomically, that is not "efficient" so you are right in that sense, but it was efficient in the sense the fox either got clean away or was killed for sure. Farmers with a fox problem and no hunt to call on tend to try to solve it with a twelve bore - result - lots of wounded foxes facing a slow death.

Yes, I know all you deadshot gun-toters out there in the forum are capable of killing 11 out of 10 foxes with anything from a four-bore to a second-hand airgun, but the reality is a bit different.

A combination of gun and dogs is also pretty efficient I grant you, but as tigger said, foxhunting combined the killing of a fox with a social occasion and a day out involving the local "gentry", local farmers, local farm labourers, local people in general "and god knows how many hangers on and followers" - so what was wrong with that?

A local fete designed to raise funds for a village hall, or a new hospital wing, or a playing field, or even a church roof is not the most "efficient" way of raising money compared with (say) raising the council tax, but it gets widespread support because it is also a social event.

Banning foxhunting was all about the politics of envy, and nothing whatsoever to do with fox welfare.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Not quite fair Dave, I know many people (some of my family) who did think it was cruel. They are just as entitled to that belief as I am to my belief that the element of cruelty in fishing is not harmful to the fish.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Ergonomically, that is not "efficient" so you are right in that sense, but it was efficient in the sense the fox either got clean away or was killed for sure. Farmers with a fox problem and no hunt to call on tend to try to solve it with a twelve bore - result - lots of wounded foxes facing a slow death.

Yes, I know all you deadshot gun-toters out there in the forum are capable of killing 11 out of 10 foxes with anything from a four-bore to a second-hand airgun, but the reality is a bit different.

A combination of gun and dogs is also pretty efficient I grant you, but as tigger said, foxhunting combined the killing of a fox with a social occasion and a day out involving the local "gentry", local farmers, local farm labourers, local people in general "and god knows how many hangers on and followers" - so what was wrong with that?

A local fete designed to raise funds for a village hall, or a new hospital wing, or a playing field, or even a church roof is not the most "efficient" way of raising money compared with (say) raising the council tax, but it gets widespread support because it is also a social event.

Banning foxhunting was all about the politics of envy, and nothing whatsoever to do with fox welfare.

I saw a couple of 'hunters' on a the tv last night using huge light to 'blind' the fox and then shoot the poor sods. They congratulated themselves in that those foxes were a mere half a mile fron their house!!! What was that all about? So they can sllep easy in the knowledge that the big bad fox will not carry away their childeren, pathetic morons.

Politics of envy ?? What a joke, it was a huge public movement to ban this cruel 'sport' and we as a nation are better off without that charade that stained our character as a nation that honestly believed in the welfare of our wildlife.

Yes you get the odd idiot on here boasting how they can shoot our wild life all even set their dogs on them, but thank goodness they are in the minority now, and we have as a nation a more enlightened view to animal welfare and wild life conservation.

Politics of Envy indeed.

I saw a couple of 'hunters' on a the tv last night using huge light to 'blind' the fox and then shoot the poor sods. They congratulated themselves in that those foxes were a mere half a mile fron their house!!! What was that all about? So they can sllep easy in the knowledge that the big bad fox will not carry away their childeren, pathetic morons.

Reads like the sort of thing i would expect form someone who is anti hunting and is sort of things to bad mouth it about.

Politics of envy ?? What a joke, it was a huge public movement to ban this cruel 'sport' and we as a nation are better off without that charade that stained our character as a nation that honestly believed in the welfare of our wildlife.

Yes you get the odd idiot on here boasting how they can shoot our wild life all even set their dogs on them, but thank goodness they are in the minority now, and we have as a nation a more enlightened view to animal welfare and wild life conservation.

Politics of Envy indeed.

Ive always wondered why its still legal to hunt rabbits with a dog and not foxes. Maybe its because most rabbiter's don't go round the country side dress in red, blowing horns and shouting tally hoe, certainly cant see much other difference.

Politics of Envy? sounds about right to me.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I agree, I said as much to the one or two anti-hunting friends when the legislation was passed. Whilst they were celebrating their victory I told them that the fox had not won anything, that just as many foxes would be killed, if not more and many more would suffer slow deaths.

Absolutely right, but now the self satisfied can sit back, in disregard of reality and say 'look how much more humane a society we have become'. It must make then feel better about themselves, which appears to be more important (to them) than the welfare of any animal.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

we have as a nation a more enlightened view to animal welfare and wild life conservation.

I knew a chap who used to spout that, very against foxhunting he was. I got him to admit he had never seen a live fox, although he had lived in a village all his life.

Den, you are missing the point - foxes "controlled" by shotguns have a much higher risk of suffering than ever the fox hunted by hounds did.

..and of course you are "entitled" to hold views - but the vote against foxhunting was made by Labour politicians, voting against the wicked Tories, and not voting in Brer Fox's interest at all.

anyway, no time for more, I'm going tigerfish hunting. <_<

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Politics of Envy indeed.

Nice to know that you don't let a complete lack of knowledge or understanding get in the way of airing an opinion :lol:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I hope i am wrong about prince harry and his friend but at the end of the day he wash shooting exactly where they were shot (no one else was), and the police made an enquiry but never investigated. I'm sorry i just feel strongly about killing birds of prey.

And with foxes if shooting isn't a solution then i dont know what is. If they can make guns that bring down antelope and deer in one go, i'm sure there's one that can take care of a fox without just wounding it.

I have NOTHING against hunting at all, that's not what i'm trying to get across here, just killing for fun.