Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

Rabbit, I salute you sir! If only all your posts were as good as this one. It is true (google for it) that psychopathic murderers are often unusually cruel to animals when children.

Can you explain one thing to me though, why do you think that a fox that has been gassed or trapped or badly shot has a more dignified, humane or noble end than one that is killed by a pack of hounds. Where is your evidence? I am open minded me, evidence works wonders

You keep asking me for evidence, I cannot give any, but I suspect you knew that. However I find your 'noble' comment baffling......for who the fox, or the asses on horses?

Sorry to hear you do not find all my posts 'good' as this one, however I must stress that I always attempt to post quality, given that I do not have unlimited time to spend on here I think I do rather a good job , and that I am still posting despite some on here still not willing to common sense at times <_<

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 years on the doors definately proved the "violence without concequence" thing to me. As TV,PC games,pop culture etc promote and indeed glamourise violence and indeed introduce the idea of "violence without consequence" I can only assume thats where it comes from.

I take on your points about French youth and have indeed noticed simlar mysef whilst living there.Mind you I might have got a somewhat missleading view as I lived in small rural comunities (do your family?) My French mates woud assure me that in towns/cities/bult up areas there was no difference re vioence and crime to the UK!

Or maybe its something else that makes our youth so subceptabe to popular US culture? I dont know. Maybe just the simple fact we speak a simlar language?

Or shall I risk the wrath of the PC brigade by saying it may be down to the vast numbers of young black kids we now have in our buit up areas who looking for a "new" identity are looking towards the black community in the US for a lead and the white or any other non negro kids just copying out of either fear or simpe lack of imagination?

And NO Dave I dont for one minute think that the "Hedgehog kickers" go hunting either.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The youths that would kick a hedgehog to death are not the same youths that would go out into the countryside hunting or shooting.
You are spot on there Sportsman. If I had done that as a kid, not that I would have dreamt of such an atrocity, but had I, I would not have sat down for a fortnight. I remember I once shot a cock sparrow with a brand new air rifle that I had been given by my grandparents as a birthday present. I was zeroing the sights, I didn't really think that I would hit the wee thing, but I did, first shot. Unbeknown to me, the whole episode was witnessed by my granddad. When he came in at night he took my gun, stuck it in the vice and bent the barrel in half. He tossed it at my feet and said 'You know why I did that'. I never got another air rifle, and I didn't get to go shooting or fishing for about six months. My mate the gamekeeper wouldn't even look the road I was walking on for about six weeks. A valuable lesson was learned though, I never pointed a gun at anything living that I did not intend to kill and eat ever again.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

You are spot on there Sportsman. If I had done that as a kid, not that I would have dreamt of such an atrocity, but had I, I would not have sat down for a fortnight. I remember I once shot a cock sparrow with a brand new air rifle that I had been given by my grandparents as a birthday present. I was zeroing the sights, I didn't really think that I would hit the wee thing, but I did, first shot. Unbeknown to me, the whole episode was witnessed by my granddad. When he came in at night he took my gun, stuck it in the vice and bent the barrel in half. He tossed it at my feet and said 'You know why I did that'. I never got another air rifle, and I didn't get to go shooting or fishing for about six months. My mate the gamekeeper wouldn't even look the road I was walking on for about six weeks. A valuable lesson was learned though, I never pointed a gun at anything living that I did not intend to kill and eat ever again.

When I was young teenager, I borrowed a friend's .177 air rifle when he went on holiday. I was overcome with the hunting instinct and shot a hedge sparrow in my garden. Immediately afterwards, its mate flew down and hopped around the dead body and I had never felt so horror struck in my life. I felt disgusted with myself and the memory has stayed with me all these years. I also shot a bluetit when it was inches away from the barrel; I can't now reconcile the action with anything that I believe to be the person that I am now and it haunts me. I would love to see air rifles banned, as I honestly can't see any justification for them being allowed. I only wish that they had been illegal and that I never had the chance to get hold of one.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Its quite feasable that giving someone the ability to kill and them having done so actualy makes them more respectfull of life and certainly understand its fragility. Seeing the consequences of their actions? Maybe thats where we have one wrong with our kids? Using Corys example,we have simply stopped (well tried to) our kids having pocket knifes rather than teaching them how to have them responsibley?

Teaching responsibiity for ones own actions and there concequences were just part and parcel of life in older days.For those who have read Vagabonds excellent book remember the broke shot gun story.

Just seen Petes post and that seems to confirm this.

Edited by BUDGIE

Its quite feasable that giving someone the ability to kill and them having done so actualy makes them more respectfull of life and certainly understand its fragility. Seeing the consequences of their actions? Maybe thats where we have one wrong with our kids? Using Corys example,we have simply stopped (well tried to) our kids having pocket knifes rather than teaching them how to have them responsibley?

Teaching responsibiity for ones own actions and there concequences were just part and parcel of life in older days.For those who have read Vagabonds excellent book remember the broke shot gun story.

Just seen Petes post and that seems to confirm this.

I wish I hadn't been reminded it of it quite honestly. I feel really disgusted about it. Just putting a gun in your hands when you are a teenager seems to bring out the worst in you. I even remember throwing bread down on the lawn and shooting starlings from my bedroom window when they came down for it. I honestly can't think why I would have wanted to do that and I even to this day, I find it really quite disturbing. If I hadn't been given the gun I'm sure it would never have occurred to me. I will probably have a sleepless night now just thinking about it. It is something that had been locked in my memory for years and I can't believe what an evil bastard I must have been. Ban air guns immediately.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I take on your points about French youth and have indeed noticed simlar mysef whilst living there.Mind you I might have got a somewhat missleading view as I lived in small rural comunities (do your family?) My French mates woud assure me that in towns/cities/bult up areas there was no difference re vioence and crime to the UK!
My kids live in Douvres-la-Deliverande Budgie, my place is just 6 clicks further north in Luc-Sur-Mer, so yes they are pretty rural. But Budgie Luc is one of these funny wee French seaside resorts that has a population explosion in the summertime. There are about 5,000 or so of us residents, but in the summertime this can go up to 30,000. Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday during July and August we have live bands for the tourists. Everyone goes out listens to the music, drinks beer and has fun. In the six years that I have been around Luc I have only ever seen one punch up, and the culprits were not youths, they were middle aged local men who should have bloody well known better. We have ONE Police de Ville in Luc (a Police de Ville is like a traffic warden with a gun). We also have a Gendarmerie, but that only opens in the summer months, and even then there are only two of them.

Yes if you go into Caen at the weekend you need to keep your wits about you, just as you do in any big town, but you don't have to treat every teenager as a potential enemy. I would rather walk around Caen at night than Southampton or Portsmouth, that's for sure.

No this is a UK problem, you don't see this knife and gun crime in amongst young people in the rest of Europe, not to the extent that we have here. What our hoodlums need is a taste of the Gendarmes and the CRS. These guys don't eff about.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I would love to see air rifles banned, as I honestly can't see any justification for them being allowed.

I have to agree with that. As there's no lisensing any plank can have one and pop away at anything that moves.

When I was young teenager, I borrowed a friend's .177 air rifle when he went on holiday. I was overcome with the hunting instinct and shot a hedge sparrow in my garden. Immediately afterwards, its mate flew down and hopped around the dead body and I had never felt so horror struck in my life. I felt disgusted with myself and the memory has stayed with me all these years. I also shot a bluetit when it was inches away from the barrel; I can't now reconcile the action with anything that I believe to be the person that I am now and it haunts me. I would love to see air rifles banned, as I honestly can't see any justification for them being allowed. I only wish that they had been illegal and that I never had the chance to get hold of one.
You shouldn't feel so bad about it Peter. I remember the feeling of shock when that poor wee sparrow bit the dust too. You made a mistake, and you learned from it. You can't ban everything that you could hurt someone with. I could use an HB pencil to stab someone in the heart just as easily as a knife.

I wish I hadn't been reminded it of it quite honestly. I feel really disgusted about it. Just putting a gun in your hands when you are a teenager seems to bring out the worst in you. I even remember throwing bread down on the lawn and shooting starlings from my bedroom window when they came down for it. I honestly can't think why I would have wanted to do that and I even to this day, I find it really quite disturbing. If I hadn't been given the gun I'm sure it would never have occurred to me. I will probably have a sleepless night now just thinking about it. It is something that had been locked in my memory for years and I can't believe what an evil bastard I must have been. Ban air guns immediately.

But because you did do it you saw the concequences and that has obviously had some influence on the person youve become if you see what Im getting at? Without having experienced it you (if reading of some one else being chastised for shooting birds) think whats the harm they are only birds?