Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

To be honest Cory I was just being petulant.

The mad cat woman with 17 cats is often the madwoman who writes to the papers complaining about someone shooting in the countryside but when her brood of killers bring home the corpses night after night she just thinks that it's "cute"

This BTW is based on personal experience, and the mad cat woman exists :D

There are plenty of mad cat women. I suspect that she may actually be suffering from toxoplasmosis. Toxoplasmosis gondii is as I am sure that you are aware is a parasitic protozoa of cats but it will infect others species of animals too, but Toxoplasmosis gondii can only complete it's life cycle in a feline host. If a rat becomes infected by Toxoplasmosis gondii the rat will lose it's fear of cats and will actually seek out cats and try to 'play' with them, usually ending up as a cats dinner and the Toxoplasmosis gondii gets to complete its life cycle.

There is a correlation between 'cat ladies' and 'cat men' and Toxoplasmosis gondii infection. I'm sure you also know that correlation does not necessarily mean causation, they may have toxoplasmosis because they keep cats, but there are some parasitologists who think that they make actually become 'cat people' because of their Toxoplasmosis gondii infection.

Most of the research 'evidence' that I have on this is speculative and is in the format of the spoken word in mp3 files rather than textual, but I will post links if you wish.

Isn't science wonderful :)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO any angler that supports an animal right organization is deluded.

Better withhold rod licence money then Lutra, that goes to look after all the little creatures. I like cats, and I support the Cats Protection League. I used to belong to the RSPB because I love birds and enjoyed bird watching (I really should take that up again). I support the ACA because I value clean waterways. People are complex, eh?

Glad I amuse you Tigger old chap :) I'll allow you the last word.

I think it's time I had a break from AN too, it's getting silly.

Pip pip, see you at Timsbury :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Better withhold rod licence money then Lutra, that goes to look after all the little creatures. I like cats, and I support the Cats Protection League. I used to belong to the RSPB because I love birds and enjoyed bird watching (I really should take that up again). I support the ACA because I value clean waterways. People are complex, eh?

People are complexed, that's the problem. Some of these organizations and their members IMO have other objectives (like banning angling).

Nothing wrong with loving birds and wildlife, but personally id sooner put up a few nest boxes, dig a pond, make a wood pile and feed the birds myself than give my money to some of these extremist organizations. Maybe its just me.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Nothing wrong with loving birds and wildlife, but personally id sooner put up a few nest boxes, dig a pond, make a wood pile and feed the birds myself than give my money to some of these extremist organizations. Maybe its just me.

Yeap that would be more pro active. It's a pity a few others can't do the same rather than just giving money to organisations and then not knowing exactly how it's spent.

Glad I amuse you Tigger old chap :) I'll allow you the last word.

Trouble with you Anderoo is that sometimes I find your posts sensible and knowledgable but I've also noticed an uncalled for underlying sarcasm towards me so what you reap is what you sow.

People are complexed, that's the problem. Some of these organizations and their members IMO have other objectives (like banning angling).

I agree, but I'd hardly label the RSPB or even the Cats Protection League 'extremist'

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I've been involved in shooting and fishing ever since I was old enough to walk. Rules, responsibility and respect were drilled into me from that young age and have served me well throughout both disciplines.

I have no issues with people taking "one for the pot" or culling, where necessary, so long as it's done responsibly, humanely and within the law. That applies to both shooting and fishing.

I start to have issues when people break the law and have no clue about legal quarry or suitable calibre. Sadly there are a few of you on this forum that fall into this category. And by my way of thinking, if you don't follow the rules whilst out shooting, what rules do you follow whilst out fishing?

Please just stop, think and grow up! All you're doing is fuelling the antis, who in turn tar us all with the same brush.

Cats do much more harm to the wildlife than Mink. Mink even though they are a pest they don't hunt for pleasure like cats but only for food. When they've eaten they won't hunt again until their hungry unlike cats.

It's funny how the expensive varieties of cats are kept under control as they are worth money , yet the moggies which people claim to love are allowed to roam at will.

....yet the moggies which people claim to love are allowed to roam at will.
The thing that is funny to me Tigger is that you claim to be a country person, not a pavement pounder, but you seem to be ignorant of why this is so.

The CPL is the kind of animal welfare charity I'm happy to give money to, along with the PDSA. They're at the opposite end of the spectrum to groups like PETA, which are political campaigns for animal rights. The RSPCA used to be over towards the "welfare" end, they have over time moved towards the "rights" end and have become increasingly politicised. The RSPB does not seem to have become politicised in the same way, though in my opinion they are guilty of masquerading as an environmental protection group when they are really better thought of as the National Union of Twitchers. Nothing wrong with being that, of course, and to a small extent the same accusation could be levelled at the ACA; it exists for the good of anglers, not for the good of rivers.

Personally, I like cats. I didn't used to, but my wife wanted them and they've grown on me. Perhaps I have toxoplasmosis ;) To my knowledge, this year they have killed a slow worm, a blackbird, two rats, a couple of shrews and some voles. I'd rather they hadn't killed the blackbird or the slow worm, but the others I'll not lose too much sleep about. I dare say they killed a few other things and discretely ate them, but they're well fed and have bells on their collars, which minimises the casualties. We could just keep them indoors and never let them out, I suppose, but in my opinion that's as wrong as having a dog and never walking it or keeping birds in cages.

Irrespective of my own feelings, I do know that when we had a kitten which died, my wife was inconsolable, and that I would take it extremely badly if someone deliberately upset her that much by hurting one of her animals.