Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

Hawk,

What do/did you hunt with dogs. We don't use that term much. Quail hunters have "pointers"; duck guys "retrievers"; pheasent guys "setters"; coon guys have "trackers"; etc (you see what I mean?). But no one says we hunt with dogs. Do/did they kill the prey?

Do you raise your own piegons or prey birds for the falcons? I don't believe in the US you can use eagles(?).

Archery is growing very rapidly - both for fishing and hunting. C&R angling is rapidly replacing old style fishing for the pot.

GUNS - long and short - - - we got!! Haven't hunted in years. In fact, I no longer own any firearms. Down from probably 20 at one time. I guess the last time was probably 10 yrs or so ago. Did a little goose hunting. Boy was that stupid for an old man. Freeze your arce off! Took all the next day to give them away and then, only if I cleaned them first.

Never had birds or hunted with anyone who did. I've no clue. I guess I'd have to replace birds with traps. Trapped a lot when younger.

Phone

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawk,

What do/did you hunt with dogs. We don't use that term much. Quail hunters have "pointers"; duck guys "retrievers"; pheasent guys "setters"; coon guys have "trackers"; etc (you see what I mean?). But no one says we hunt with dogs. Do/did they kill the prey?

Do you raise your own piegons or prey birds for the falcons? I don't believe in the US you can use eagles(?).

Archery is growing very rapidly - both for fishing and hunting. C&R angling is rapidly replacing old style fishing for the pot.

GUNS - long and short - - - we got!! Haven't hunted in years. In fact, I no longer own any firearms. Down from probably 20 at one time. I guess the last time was probably 10 yrs or so ago. Did a little goose hunting. Boy was that stupid for an old man. Freeze your arce off! Took all the next day to give them away and then, only if I cleaned them first.

Never had birds or hunted with anyone who did. I've no clue. I guess I'd have to replace birds with traps. Trapped a lot when younger.

Phone

British field sports

Hunting = the persuit of primarily fox, but also deer and formerly otters with hounds

coursing = Greyhounds/longdogs (sighthounds) in pairs competing against each other under rules on a hare

Shooting = driven or walked up shooting of game birds with shotgunds, pheasants partridge grouse. (dogs and nbeaters used to flush and retrieve birds)

Rough shooting = walking up game birds and wildfowl. often engaging opportunity vermin species like corvids, squirrels, pigeons and rabbits too.

Wildfowling (or simply 'fowlling) shooting ducks and geese with shotguns (dogs used to retrieve and sometimes flush)

Stalking = Shooting deer with a rifle

Hawk will tell you about the use of birds of prey in thr sporting field, my experience is limited to flushing rabbits with ferrets for a falkoner.

Ferreting, = Bolting rabbits from their burows by purring ferrets down, bolted rabbits may be shot with shotguns, trapped in purse nets, chased by dogs or birds of prey. Dogs are used to 'mark' occupied rabbit burrows

Lurcher work. Lurchers are the most versitile of dogs, they are used to flush and catch ground game and vermin (rabbits and foxes) they retrieve shot birds, and mark occupied rabbit workings. Are used at night to catch rabbits and foxes running illuminated my powerful lights, 'lamping'.

We understand that on your side of the atlantic the English language and it's attendent terminology is used very differently, for example 'duck hunting' sounds like flying dogs chasing mallard across the sky, and deer hunting with a rifle?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

if it contains meat its edible ,if its contains plants its food for meat ,beef is recycled grass and one or more of your recommended intake of veg .

dont recommend fox until the beefs gone a week before and your starving

that noticable smell you get on certain spots out in the country (or edge of towns) is either fox or a certain phallus shaped fungus ,fox tastes like the former ;)

its strange apart from deer and cattle all forms of wild" meat have declined ,not so long ago everything that flew was "food" as was everything that swam and walked now its not a basic food source there's fewer and fewer ,it cannot be the fish are now all eaten by otters (when fish were in numbers humans far outnumbered otters and otters few) ,we cant blame eating songbirds nor trapping for the pot any more so the human involvement must harm nature in other ways.

when things get scarce we blame something if its a threat to what we believe is "natural" we tend to act unnaturally

"hunting" causes no harm ,eating" causes no harm so it must be the anti hunting or plant eating lot thats causing the trouble

i have in the past worked with hunts ,shot things with many forms of weapon not all suitable used one animal to bolt/kill another and in many cases ate whatever it was (most birds taste fine but you may need a few) trapped animals using many forms of traps and caught fish some not by the recommended practices and tried most either for hunger or a dare.

now i don't need to but if circumstances should go back to when i did i would surely have no qualms doing it again ,i was born in deptford i would guess if i was still there half of lifes more interesting aspects would never have been found

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest redfin2
Hawk,

Phone

Phone

I think that anyone who says they hunt with dogs are probably talking of 'coarsing' perhaps? Just a method of using a lurcher greyhound whippet to run down Hare or Rabbit. Saw a piece of TV last week where Gypsies use Lurchers to kill Deer, actually they were not worthy to be called Gypsies as one male showed utter disrespect to the kill by 'frightening' the women with the entrails.

I have two 'gun' dogs a Spaniel (Springer) who loves nothing more than 'putting up' game birds, by crashing through undergrowth, that really what he lives for,and was bred for.

The other is a Labrador a young bitch that as you know is a 'Retriever', I am so impressed how easy it is to train these dogs, it is no surprise that they are the ultimate 'working' dog and are put to many tasks to help man.

Oh! I don't shoot, but love the company of Dogs :)

we ofcourse hunt nothing with dogS any more ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

A 303 for Elephants, It would be useless. Have you never seen an elephant gun ? :rolleyes:

A 303 isn't at all overkill for UK deer, have you ever shot a Stag ? People use 243's /30 06's etc for foxes.

Barrett 50cal/ GPMG 7,62 with a belt of 200 would be my choice (my guns are bigger than your lol)

• 1 month later...
Barrett 50cal/ GPMG 7,62 with a belt of 200 would be my choice (my guns are bigger than your lol)

you wouldn't get much left for dinner

a chap i shot with used a shotgun for deer ,a 10 bore with a slug in it

Edited by chesters1

• 10 months later...

Fish and shoot; would bow hunt if it was legal in the UK.

Went beating yesterday in fact and its our cock day next week. Brother runs small shoot for 10 or so guns, so we raise birds (pheasant and partridge) and keep the land. He's also a registered game dealer and all game shot goes through him into the food chain.

That's about all I've got to say, most of its been thrashed about in the thread already

Putting in my tuppence worth :- Collectively called hunting -- Well I have a problem with that !

There are many corners to that in my mind. I do not class freshwater angling with the other forms of hunting. In my humble opinion angling is not fishing, to do that you use a net not a rod and line. What we catch is returned to a water that without us being there would be filled in with all types of junk in no time, the fish is not killed but returned alive to fight another day. As said in another topic we also look out for other forms of waterside creatures. Also many boat owners would find their vessels broken into if an angler had not been sitting close by. I could go on but in my view angling is not like hunting its a sport. Catch and release fly fishing is the same, but catch and killing is hunting.

To kill an animal for vermin control as work is in my mind not sport hunting, its work.

To kill an animal yourself for food is not sport hunting but is real hunting.

To kill an animal for numbers control is in my mind not sport hunting if its used then for food.

BUT

To pay for the right to shoot an animal, vermin or not, as long as the not is used for food is sport hunting.

So broadly there's vermin control, hunting, numbers control and profit with a possible death at the end.

THEN there's angling where we leave the country side with a profit from our sport.

This is where I duck and head for --I'm not telling.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot and fish, which in my view are classed as hunting, either stalking a trout in the river, or crawling within range to shoot a rabbit. I have a Firearms Licence, which allows me to shoot fox. On most of my permissions, I am there to shoot vermin as required by the landowner, usually rabbits, rats and feral pigeons, but if required will shoot fox. In one such case, the farmer's wife bred show chickens, helped by her young children. Despite a German Shepherd loose in the yard, a fox got in and killed the lot. They restocked and he kept coming back at a certain time on his travels, so I shot it. If I am out in the field after rabbits and I see a fox, I'll let it be, unless we have unfinished business on that land. I have a website http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/ and have a lot of response from the US, where they have not lost the connection between fishing and shooting to put food on the table.

I did not support the ban on hunting with dogs.