Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

You can end up opening a real can of worms when it comes to issues of hunting. It's totally different because importantly, we don't fill the fish with bullet holes and when you put them back, they're generally alive.

Maybe if we shot fish as well anti's wouldn't keep trying to tell us fish can feel pain.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I'd never started this, and have asked Newt to close it :)

Thanks for everyone's input.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

unfortunately, I've found he tends open things when you want them closed, and closes things when you when you want them opened. I guess a moderaters job is never easy.

I shoot & fish. I haven't hunted fox on horseback, but I haven't got a problem with it either ... if that's what people want to do then that's just fine by me.

I've hunted deer with a high powered rifle. Sika deer in the US and red deer in Scotland. Everything was eaten so no probs I think.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Thanks for everyone's input.

Anderoo

I hate the following to be done to you twice in the space of a couple of days.

But clearly some sort of action is needed to bring this discussion to an end.

Mornington Crescent. :D

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Anderoo

I hate the following to be done to you twice in the space of a couple of days.

But clearly some sort of action is needed to bring this discussion to an end.

Mornington Crescent. :D

:lol:

It just won't die!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 2 years later...
Everything was eaten so no probs I think.

Yeah, shoot a deer and eat it - no probs

Catch a perch and eat it - and you are now (from 2010) breaking the EA "laws"

That will backfire on UK angling sooner or later - in the eyes of the chattering classes, catching and eating fish is OK, catching fish just to put them back is pointless.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yeah, shoot a deer and eat it - no probs

Catch a perch and eat it - and you are now (from 2010) breaking the EA "laws"

That will backfire on UK angling sooner or later - in the eyes of the chattering classes, catching and eating fish is OK, catching fish just to put them back is pointless.

Just a reflection on today's 'ban common-sense' society unfortunately...

With hours and hours a week (and millions of corporate pounds) of media advertising forcing the children and yoof of the country to cram 'Mc-Bucket' meals made from processed battery farmed animals down their throats, yet criminalising people who catch and humanely dispatch one meal-worth from a sustainable wild source :schmoll:

Look on the bright side though Dave, it's still perfectly legal to go and catch a shoal of undersize fish to take home...not quite as sustainable, more waste but totally legitimate so it must be right! :rolleyes:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I like to eat perch and will continue to do so, that said most that I catch are returned.

I can't imagine getting 'caught' our EA water bailiffs are of the same opinion.

If some unpholder of the law (who?) wated to search my gear/boat and found a dead perch I would say, 'badly hooke, knocked it on the head'. They may not believe it but would I be taken to court and prosicuted? can you imagine the CPS giving it a high priority and significntly being sure to obtain a conviction? A trail would be a bit of a day out actually, I would conduct my own defense and base it around the daftness and 'ungreen' of throwning dead fish into a watercourse.

Laws? 'Don't panic and carry on as normal'.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

This thread prompted me to ask a couple of non-fishing, non-shooting female friends their opinion on the comparative cruelty of field sports, as they saw it.

They both disliked hunting with hounds but couldn't really say why.

They both agreed that shooting something was fine as long as you are going to eat it.

They both thought that catching fish was fine, as long as they are going to be eaten.

They both thought that catching fish just for amusement with no intention of eating it was unnecessary and cruel, on a par with hunting with hounds.

They were astonished to hear that in UK catch and release is a legal requirement.

The comment from one was "what ar5ehole thought that one up"

Doesn't prove anything either way but these are level headed un-biased members of the public. I wonder how many more would feel the same way if asked.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/