Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

I have shot rabbits and other animals before when with a friend (i do not have my own rifle/shotgun) and, obviously i fish, but i am not sure where i stand on the whole hunting issue.

I live in South Somerset so as you can guess a big hunting community (it was). My nan always says, at least with the foxes half a dozen of them rip the animals throat out and it is over in an instant, whereas with a gun it can only injure the animal where it can limp off and slowly die of starvation, or gangrene. And i hate the fact that people who do not understand rural ways automatically ban it without the foggiest of ideas of what goes on. I like the tradition of it, but i do think it is quite barbaric, and worst, unnecessary. Lets face it, any farmer with a bit of common sense can rig up a safe place for his chickens, so foxes aren't really a pest nowadays, so why the need to kill them? If people didn't one day stand up to these things we would still have bears dancing in the street, dog fights and chicken fights.

So, however hypocritical it may be, i fish (when sea fishing it's for the table, ie mackerel), i shoot occasionally (also, nearly always for the table) but i don't quite know where i stand with hunting, i see both arguments.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just re-read all 46 pages of this and it has to be one of the best threads ever on AN

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I have just re-read all 46 pages of this and it has to be one of the best threads ever on AN

I read it all earlier Dave, and I've got to agree with you. A bit of everything in there. :thumbs:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

sportsman, gozzer,

I too, just finished reading this enormous thread. - WoW It was indeed interesting.

Rarely am I speachless. The cultural differences are so profound it's hard for me to comment. In America we argue, "are 10 year olds to young to get a big game license?" They already own a gun. Private ownership of guns in the US is in excess of two hundred million.

IMO we anglers do have to "suck it up" and simply admit C&R fishing is not only and always because we have high moral excellence; goodness and righteousness. It's a real pain in the arce to carry home and clean fish - especially a "proper bag" of dace and two tench. NO - I don't want to hear BS about protecting fish stocks etc etc. If the culture was catch and eat - stocks would be replenished.

C&R angling is a blood sport, no question.

Phone

...a couple of non-fishing, non-shooting female friends their opinion on the comparative cruelty of field sports.......

They both agreed that shooting something was fine as long as you are going to eat it.

They both thought that catching fish was fine, as long as they are going to be eaten.

They both thought that catching fish just for amusement with no intention of eating it was unnecessary and cruel, on a par with hunting with hounds.

They were astonished to hear that in UK catch and release is a legal requirement.

The comment from one was "what ar5ehole thought that one up"

Doesn't prove anything either way but these are level headed un-biased members of the public. I wonder how many more would feel the same way if asked.

That attitude is typical of the non-fieldsport population - as I have repeatedly said (and will go on repeating until I am too old to type) on this forum.

When eventually catch and release is banned (as it is in Germany), British anglers, having banned catching fish to eat, will have nowhere to go - except abroad. Having rellies in both Australia and Texas, I will be "alright Jack" and I certainly will be saying "I told you so"

You better build an annexe near your lake Sportie, and expect an influx of AN refugees.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

In America we argue, "are 10 year olds to young to get a big game license?" They already own a gun.

Back in 1944 I was ten years old and allowed to shoot (with a 12-bore) on my uncle's farm. More, I was allowed to go out and shoot on my own. By the time I was eleven I had shot rabbit, hare, wood-pigeon, partridge, pheasant and mallard.

Tell that to the average British citizen of today and you are met with disbelief.

A ten-year-old in charge of a shot-gun in Britain these days would provoke the sending out of an armed response team, and a positive army of social workers.

Many kids here in the UK now take twenty years to grow up.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Many kids here in the UK now take twenty years to grow up.

And the rest Vagabond!

I no longer shoot as I don't have access to anywhere local for it to be worth my time to kill my own food for the table, however I have done in the past. I feel it is a useful skill to have.

Never saw the point to fox hunting, it always seemed somewhat unnecessary imo.

I eat sea fish when I go and would eat river fish if I had the 'requirement' to do so.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

• 4 months later...

looks very good and i will enjoy reading all of it when i have the time to spare

i have fished and hunted but like to fish the most and my best fish to go for are pike and perch

do not hunt now but not becasue i dont like hunting but nothing to hunt in my area at the moment.

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Not answered this one.

I hunt with Birds of prey from falcons to Eagles

I hunt with Gun .

I hunt with dogs until recently

I fish.

Most quarry is eaten by birds, dogs, or me...Very rarely ever wasted!

Not much more to say really

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon