Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

Me neither! That's what I said :rolleyes:

Huge difference there Sportsman - the taking of life.

Sorry Anderoo, but that's what we do.

Some of us do it directly, by killing an animal or a fish and eating it.

Others do it indirectly by ordering our chicken tikka marsarla at the weekend.

Some anglers use dead or even live fish as bait to catch other fish.

It all involves the taking of life

people who don't want to do it for themselves, but are happy to encourage others to do it on their behalf are just as guilty and possibly less honest :rolleyes:

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to know that you don't let a complete lack of knowledge or understanding get in the way of airing an opinion :lol:

I understand all right, it's just a case of you need to catch up. :D

Instead of desperately trying to distance those who pleasure angle with those who kill for the table, why not celebrate the undeniable common ground we enjoy? I would like to think, and indeed my experience shows, that responsible anglers and responsible hunters all have one unifying belief: that the countryside is both fragile and beautiful and should be treated with care and that some animals are amazing and worthy of our respect ( I say some animals, as I don’t think many respect Tape Worms, or Head Lice, for instance :blink: ). Responsible anglers do their utmost to preserve nature and minimise suffering to animals, so do responsible hunters. :hug:

Geoff

Sorry Anderoo, but that's what we do.

Some of us do it directly, by killing an animal or a fish and eating it.

Others do it indirectly by ordering our chicken tikka marsarla at the weekend.

Some anglers use dead or even live fish as bait to catch other fish.

It all involves the taking of life

people who don't want to do it for themselves, but are happy to encourage others to do it on their behalf are just as guilty and possibly less honest :rolleyes:

See how he twists everything into a common we are all guilty charge, just to try and add a bit of credence to his sad and increasingly lonely stance.

What year do you actually live in?

Move on and accept that your ideas on hunting are outdated and will never return, because the public have too much intelligence to slip backwards, a bit like hanging, the stocks, witch burning, Scottish Football, consigned to history, and jolly good job too :clap2:

Huge difference there Sportsman - the taking of life.
I took a life once, it was the life of a fine 10 point Red Deer stag. He was not a sick animal, nor was he injured, he was just deemed to be 'surplus to requirement'. I dropped him from about 80 yds with an Lee Enfield .303 with a tele sight. I got a perfect clean shot (unusual for me, but at age 14 my eyes were much better than they are now) and I enjoyed every minute of it. I was chuffed to bits when it was slung over the back of a garron and brought in off the hill, with me leading the horse by the halter.

I'm sorry but I have little time for those who are willing to purchase some nice pork chops from the supermarket, in there little polystyrene packets, but would not have the stomach to hang a pig up by the back legs and cut its throat.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

See how he twists everything into a common we are all guilty charge, just to try and add a bit of credence to his sad and increasingly lonely stance.

Move on and accept that your ideas on hunting are outdated and will never return, because the public have too much intelligence to slip backwards, a bit like hanging, the stocks, witch burning, Scottish Football, consigned to history, and jolly good job too :clap2:

So tell me this Rabbit, are you a vegan? Do you eat meat? If you eat meat, but would not be willing to kill your own your just a hypocrite in my book.

Do you really think that foxes have benefited due to this ban? If so please post some EVIDENCE to support your claim, because I remain to be convinced.

I don't see what football has to do with it, but since you bring the subject up, your English football would not be what it was without all the foreign players that your clubs have.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I am anything but sad about whatever I do and as for lonely?? I fear we move in different circles.

I see that once again you are the self appointed spokesman for 'the people" and that you know, better than anyone else what "the people" want.

You have demonstrated by your posts that you have no knowledge or understanding of the countryside or what goes on there.

I am aware that you did at one time work in a slaughter house and so you are no stranger to the concept of killing things, so maybe it is OK if you do it for money.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The point I was trying (and obviously failing) to make was that there was more to a day out in the field than the final score.

There are commercial pheasant shoots that I would not contemplate, just as there are commercial carp puddles that I would not fish.

The driven pheasant shooting that I enjoy consists of a small syndicate of farmers, keepers and ghillies where we walk one drive as beaters and stand one drive as guns.

The way that the birds are fed and released means that they have minimum contact with humans and certainly would not come running up to you. All of the birds shot are taken by the guns to either eat or to give to others (often local pensioners) to enjoy.

Do I enjoy the day? of course. It is a good day out with likeminded people. Does that make me a tosser? If you think so.

Can I live with that thought? most certainly.

We seem to share a similar outlook on this. The last shoot which I had a gun on sounds very similar to yours. It was 'self help' we didnt employ a full time keeper, we built our own release pens, bred our own birds, cut the beater paths and conducted our own vermin control. Beaters were willing family members, and on some drives the guns would take turn about on the beater line or as flanking walking guns. our members were policemen, water bailiffs, animal feed salesmen, builders, farm labourers a stalker and the regions fisheries inspector. Definitely not 'posh' we all managed to club in £100 each for the upkeep. We also pointedly avoided making the birds too familar with humans. We resisted draining the wet areas to encourage woodcock. All we shot was taken to be eaten, the bag which was often very modest being 'divvied out' at the end of the day. Each was an enthusiastic angler, and the land over which we shot had lovely beats of salmon river too.

I enjoyed those days too, did I enjoy the satisfaction of swnging through a bird rocketing over the treetops seeing the head snap back 'dead in the air', yes! I did, so there you are, I enjoy the killing in that context, and like Sportsman I can live with whatever anyone might think of me, but would add that unless you are a strict vegan then you have not a moral leg to stand on in condeming me.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I took a life once, it was the life of a fine 10 point Red Deer stag. He was not a sick animal, nor was he injured, he was just deemed to be 'surplus to requirement'. I dropped him from about 80 yds with an Lee Enfield .303 with a tele sight. I got a perfect clean shot (unusual for me, but at age 14 my eyes were much better than they are now) and I enjoyed every minute of it. I was chuffed to bits when it was slung over the back of a garron and brought in off the hill, with me leading the horse by the halter.

I'm sorry but I have little time for those who are willing to purchase some nice pork chops from the supermarket, in there little polystyrene packets, but would not have the stomach to hang a pig up by the back legs and cut its throat.

A bit of assumption there Cory - I have no problem at all with killing animals for food, as long as they've been treated ethically while they've been alive. Consequently I have no problem at all with shooting animals for food, and yes, I would have no issue with killing an animal to eat - perfect free-range food. I don't buy intensively farmed meat.

What I object to is lumping angling in with that. They share no common ground as far as I can see.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I enjoyed those days too, did I enjoy the satisfaction of swnging through a bird rocketing over the treetops seeing the head snap back 'dead in the air', yes! I did, so there you are, I enjoy the killing in that context, and like Sportsman I can live with whatever anyone might think of me, but would add that unless you are a strict vegan then you have not a moral leg to stand on in condeming me.

I think I have. If what you did there was for food, keep the birds in nice big pens and then humanely kill them when you want to eat them. Nothing wrong with that. Keeping them captive, feeding them up and then releasing them so you can shoot them and get a little thrill when the head snaps back - that's not right.

The roads are littered with pheasants at the moment. Not exactly the most cunning creatures are they?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music