my fishing budget

Darren T

I have been perusing various sites and mags to get an idea of the cost of tackle (everything seems so much cheaper than 10 years ago!). Now as for the particular tackle i may well follow whatever my uncle says would be good to get and will hopefully visit a real shop with real people to get it all. however i am a complete newbie, i tend to pick things up fast and will probably spend a hideous amount of time on forums like this and in books when not fishing to learn as much as i can from that perspective. so what kind of budget should i be looking at having to start off with?

I have a nice big Stanley toolbox which is designed to be used as a seat that i can start loading my gear into so thats a start but what about everything else?

i'd rather not blow a load on expensive reels and rods as i wouldnt be able to tell the difference at first but the thought of spending say £100 on just a rod and a reel sounds fine. and with so much choice it doesnt look like it'll be to hard to get something useful even for that kind of price. how much should i try and set aside for other essentials like floats and a landing net and so on? do i really need a keep net? (my thoughts are no as i dont tihnk many places allow them and having a 2.5m net for 3 sticklebacks and a lump of weed seems ott lol) I am fortunate enough that if i wanted to i could blow a tidy chunk on the latest whizzy gear if i really wanted to but since i am getting married in 18 months i have to start justifying the spending a little more!

so really would £150 be a good starting point? or £200 or what? lil help for newbie :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings Darren :D

You are about to prove what I've claimed all along - that you can get geared up for fishing on less than £100!

First, don't buy a full licence, it will only last until the end of March so unless you're planning on a few fishing trips, buy a day licence instead.

Now to the rod and reel - Angling Times are running an offer this week, power waggler kit (rod and reel + 3 spare spools) for £29.99 & £5.95 p&p. I've bought stuff from these offers before and honestly cannot complain about them, they might not be the best on the market but at that price, who's bothered?

Line (4lb mainline, 3lb hooklength), a few floats, disgorgers, hooks, shot etc - say £30 the lot (don't go crazy like I do when I walk into a tackle shop). You will need a landing net and handle (approx £10 complete) but not a keepnet. A couple of bank sticks and an unhooking mat (or a large piece of foam inside a plastic bag) and you're away :)

Tight lines, John

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

check out dragoncarp as they have some great deals ,just check postage/delivery costs as these things are never cheap.

It's the same company as the one offering the power waggler kit in AT, Used Tackle.... :)

Darren, just because it's called 'Used Tackle' doesn't mean you'll be buying second-hand stuff, the kit you buy will be brand new.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Darren Im just up the road from you at Mitcham.Ive been making my "fishing money" this year by buying and selling tackle at bootfairs.There is a lot of rubbish at them but if you keep your eye out you can get some good bargains.

I buy a lot of stuff at fairs that I take home,clean up,service,repair etc that initially looks like rubbish.After a bit of effort and attention it looks and is the buisness and I make a few bob by reselling it.

If you are short on the budget and dont find what you are after let me know as you might want to look at what Ive got left over now the winter is here.

I could certainly do a good seat box,carbon float rod,carbon feeder rod,fixed spool reel,landing net,and a selection of line,floats,hooks,feeders for £100 ish.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Darren - I've seen some of Budgie's work including an abu 7000 of mine he dug into for a repair job.

If he can outfit you, you should seriously consider it given that in addition to standard things like seat box, rod, reel, he also knows the best bits and can show you the best way to use them while you are there.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yup. I think we got Andrew pretty converted over to lure fishing so all the nasty still fishing bits will need to be sold to support his new section of the sport.

I do have to say that I can't remember ever seeing an angler who had done basically zero lure fishing from a boat adapt to it as quickly as he did.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President