Fly advice please

scotsgun

Folks,

I'm of fly fishing on a scottish loch tommorrow for brown and rainbow trout (stocked). It's been some years since i've fly fished lochs so was hoping for some advice ...namely which flies to use.

The weather promises to be cold (5oc) and wet so i figure sink lines. The area is devoid of trees with mostly heather and scrub - bloody windy to!

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Marc

Folks,

I'm of fly fishing on a scottish loch tommorrow for brown and rainbow trout (stocked). It's been some years since i've fly fished lochs so was hoping for some advice ...namely which flies to use.

The weather promises to be cold (5oc) and wet so i figure sink lines. The area is devoid of trees with mostly heather and scrub - bloody windy to!

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Marc

At Bewl or Hanningfeild I would go for

Ptns & Hares ears Use a gold head on the tip, Ive never fished a loch in my life Mores the Pity :( But thats what Id be doing on a resevouir with a floating line and as long a tippet as I could handle or a sink tip with a shorter tippet in the wind.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I might be tempted with something like a Diawl Bach, Bloody Butcher or similar traditional wets for the Brownies.

Rainbows I would go for a Gold Head Olive Damsel, G.H. Hares Ear or even a G.H. Daddy.

Good luck.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning