Dumping North Sea fish 'immoral'

UK_Ozzie

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the video was an attempt to curry sympathy from joe public,clearly i was watching a different video then.

Welcome Longshore drifter, found yer 'r' yet? Shore or boat? :) Hopefully the public will see it as it should be a video that appeared to be staged, compared with another prawn skipper who was independantly validated with less than 5% bycatch. Haven't heard from the nffo crying yet.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Apparently the video was an attempt to curry sympathy from joe public,clearly i was watching a different video then.

The whole slant of the video was the skipper did not want to:

a} Net the by-catch in the first place.

b} Felt it was morally wrong having to throw it back.

c} And a total waste of his time.

From where I am sat that looks a big cry for sympathy from anyone who happened to watch it.

Plain and simple propaganda stunt, quite clever as well as they managed to get it on national TV, but then the Beeb is very gullible at times.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Welcome Longshore drifter, found yer 'r' yet? Shore or boat? :) Hopefully the public will see it as it should be a video that appeared to be staged, compared with another prawn skipper who was independantly validated with less than 5% bycatch. Haven't heard from the nffo crying yet.

Hi Barry,still searching for my “r”

Perhaps a mod can lend me one ? :rolleyes:

The video did the commercial sector no favours and only reinforces the beliefs of many a conservation and politics forum poster that the commercials are on a mindless course to sieve the seas destroying all that lay before them.

Do the NFFO have the credibility to be speaking about anything given the events that took place earlier this year involving certain members ?

Hi Barry,still searching for my “r”

Perhaps a mod can lend me one ? :rolleyes:

Do the NFFO have the credibility to be speaking about anything given the events that took place earlier this year involving certain members ?

Ouch, :headhurt: did you have to dig up that again. :clap2: Defra will speak to anyone except us ordinaries, i have written evidence of that.

Just read the south western news and the commercial guys down there have now jumped on the band waggon and are asking for more quota. They are saying that 880,000 tonnes are disgarded in the north sea and the problem is that different fish types swim together. Uhhh. Can't they just change the destructive fishing practices instead of discarding the future breeding stock. Again what about this skipper James West, or is he a myth.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

The whole slant of the video was the skipper did not want to:

a} Net the by-catch in the first place.

b} Felt it was morally wrong having to throw it back.

c} And a total waste of his time.

From where I am sat that looks a big cry for sympathy from anyone who happened to watch it.

Plain and simple propaganda stunt, quite clever as well as they managed to get it on national TV, but then the Beeb is very gullible at times.

I thought that there was logic in everything the Skipper said, I didn't get any impression that he was telling a sob story.

The facts of the matter were there for all to see, nothing was contrived or falsified.

I am no great friend of commercial fishermen, but lets be fair.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I thought that there was logic in everything the Skipper said, I didn't get any impression that he was telling a sob story.

The facts of the matter were there for all to see, nothing was contrived or falsified.

I am no great friend of commercial fishermen, but lets be fair.

Indeed Cranfield, the net i have to question, in particular within Leons article it clearly states the prawners use a fine mesh net with escape panels to allow the white fish to escape, what went wrong in this instance i ask. 25 years ago it was developed.

Was there something wrong with his pin point accurate electronics to put him in the wrong place.

Why did they not throw back the fish that were obviously very much alive instead of shuffling them around.

Again why has another skipper demonstrated that it is possible to trawl for prawn with a 5% or less discard.

Why do they need to make a big play on discard at this time of the year, is it just luck that the next round of pleading is just around the corner.

If prawn trawling is so destructive as they are trying to make out, in the name of conservation, why don't they go back to the creel, they can't do as worse as this trawl did yesterday can it? All that effort and waste for a third of a bucket of prawns, something is seriously wrong here and they were not questioning the lack of prawn that they were 'targeting' why was that.

Edited by barry luxton

The worst aspect of the whole farce is that the fisheries minister has swallowed the whole setup and believes that there should now be an increase in cod quota :angry::rolleyes:

My prefered way forward would be scrap individual boat quotas.Implement a series of zones and TAC's, when the TAC in a zone is taken it closes to all catch and kill fishing. And absolutely no discards allowed. Also stop prawn trawling - use creels. Stop any dredge fishery.

And no commercials with 1 mile of shore. No 10m or larger vessels within 10miles.

That way there is a vague chance there may be a future for our seas.

"The whole setup" ? I take it you view it as some kind of conspiracy then?

Can "we" scrap individual boat quotas? Im not trying to be clever here cause i have no idea. Can it be done?

I have a lot of sympathy with the no discard idea and am very much drawn towards it. Land all you catch just seems like common sense and yet we are a long way from that happening. It might be a very good idea but i'd like to know why it hasn't happened to date and what the implications are. Would'nt you?

You tag onto the end of that, almost an an automatic reaction IMHO,

Also stop prawn trawling - use creels. Stop any dredge fishery.

Why?

To stop all Prawn trawling and turn to creeling might be a good idea for the West Coast? After all you have both trawlers and creelers over there. On the east its all trawl. Is there good reason for that?

I used to be a Scallop diver; apparently the "coolest and most eco friendly form of fishing known to man ;) (I dunno but certainly the best fun i ever had:D ). I gave up because the legal implications of what i was doing, esp employing others, were somewhat problematic in terms of the ever increasing legislation the HSE were directing at diving. Legislation that was intially , and rightly aimed at the high death rate among North Sea Oil divers. Thing is, that once you make a body responsible for something, its amazing just how many people they feel they then need to take responsibility for, and money from :)

HSE aside, its a fine way of fishing certain waters; ie those under 30m depth, in an area where you can get the shelter to dive enough. I suggest to you that eg most the East coast is not suitable for this, so what you are really saying is ban scallop fishing in most areas of the country?

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

This is a topic that belongs in the conservation section so I'm moving it there now.

Theres no conservation goin on here. :wallbash:

"Our estimate of the adult stock size is around 35,000 tonnes; and if you go back to the 1970s, it was above 250,000 tonnes."

An unusually large number of fish born in 2005 are still in the North Sea, he said.

"Fishermen are seeing lots of cod that are not mature yet, and interpreting that as proof that there's been a large increase. But we need the adult stock to be at a safe level."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7104120.stm

Just some well paid adults behaving like pre schoolers over a bag of boilies. :wallbash:

You can have 5% of the original population left, trawl half of it and fool the public thats theres enough for another spawn only to see a Cod crash. :wallbash:

We could drop that to 20000 tonnes but I dont think thats goin to help the Cod. :wallbash:

Edited by UK_Ozzie

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better!