Digital TV

kleinboet

I have a question.

This country is moving over to digital TV and we were told how easy it would be and how cheap it would be and how better the picture would be - FINE!

It didn't concern me as I have had Sky for the last 20 years!

Can someone please tell me WHEN they told us that your Video or DVD player won't work with your new digital TV?

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will, as long as they're connected via a SCART cable or similar rather than via the RF (ariel) socket.

The problem you might have is that your VCR probably has an analogue tuner in it and you won't be able to use it to record following switchover.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I have a question.

This country is moving over to digital TV and we were told how easy it would be and how cheap it would be and how better the picture would be - FINE!

Can someone please tell me WHEN they told us that your Video or DVD player won't work with your new digital TV?

Im a bit out of my depth here mate but what type of conection do you have coaxil or scart ? I think if you have scart connections you should be all Rite it may just be a retuning issue.

Good luck

Looks like ken beat me with an awnser!!!

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I have a question.

As far as i know and are telling my customers.............you will still be able to use your existing video / dvd recorder for playback only.

Unfortunately , as you know , you will need an integrated freeview-dvd recorder to record as you do now. Or there is the alternative of a PVR (personal video recorder) which basically uses a similar functionality to SKY+. The reason that most dvd / videos won't work when the switchover happens is simple..........they don't have digital tuners in them.

Although i must add, the coverage (as a whole) of the switchover has been rather successful but in this computer age we live in , i think that the ads have simply got the ball rolling so to speak and let the general public do their own research on the subject.

Your type of scenario is seen several times a week by myself and work partner , the real bug bear we're seeing is trying to explain to the 'older-end' of the generation , an old couple in their eighties who have religiously recorded programmes at the simple touch of a button (a routine which they can do blind-folded) are going to HAVE to move with the times and re-learn another procedure aswell as purchasing new equipment.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

You will only be able to record a programme that you are watching :

Unless your systems are much different than ours, that is not the case.

Using a DVR we can record several at the same time on a scheduled basis regardless of the TV being on or not. In addition, there are quite a few 'smart' options we did not have pre-digital that I would hate to be without today.

- automatically record ALL occurrences of this show regardless of the channel that carries it (good for series)

- automatically record only first run occurrences of this show (good if they are being rebroadcast on different channels)

- show me all shows matching the letters I will key in so that if, for instance, I key in 'Mon' it will display Monster Truck and Monday Nite Football but when I key in 'Mons' it will only show all occurrences of Monster Truck events for the next week.

- and quite a few other similar goodies

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Unless your systems are much different than ours, that is not the case.

Using a DVR we can record several at the same time on a scheduled basis regardless of the TV being on or not. In addition, there are quite a few 'smart' options we did not have pre-digital that I would hate to be without today.

- automatically record ALL occurrences of this show regardless of the channel that carries it (good for series)

- automatically record only first run occurrences of this show (good if they are being rebroadcast on different channels)

- show me all shows matching the letters I will key in so that if, for instance, I key in 'Mon' it will display Monster Truck and Monday Nite Football but when I key in 'Mons' it will only show all occurrences of Monster Truck events for the next week.

- and quite a few other similar goodies

This option is available to some extent from Sky(satellite broadcast) , but the Digital Switchover which is already in progress which Kleinboet is referring to is Terrestrial (land based transmitters / relays). England has been running primarily terrestrial ANALOGUE broadcasts since the golden age of the TV set , but money and technology drives the way for this bandwidth to be used to its full potential , ANALOGUE takes up too much of the band , where as DIGITAL can be sent compressed a whole lot easier with a hell of a lot more information . And theres also the drive by the government to let go part of our UHF band to the mobile phone companies for a whopping amount of cash.

SKY do have some of the systems that you run Newt , but , terrestrial (for now) don't . In the next 18 months and with the major introduction into terrestrial digital , the technology will become more easily available than satellite , plain and simply because of the power ratio (compared to satellite digital).

Who knows.........in 10-15 years time the life of the TV Aerial will be a thing of the past with the powers that be installing mobile terrestrial masts , something along the same lines as mobile phone masts.

The good old TV , where would we be without it?

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

I don't have a good enough grasp of the technology to really understand it but I do remember being amazed at all the TV antennas I saw when we visited. They are about as common as teeth in a chicken over here although it hasn't been that long since we had them on just about every house.

Cable & Satellite have pretty well taken over.

I do remember someone explaining your system and thinking at the time that you have gotten much more high tech use of a standard antenna than we ever did.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Our analog (pre-digital) TV service still exists but the cable and satellite providers are doing nothing to add channels to that service. If we want digital, HD-quality signals and new channels (even if not HD) we must upgrade. Now, to complicate things even more: we can upgrade to using digital but not have the HD quality. That costs extra per month. We added the DVR at the same time and wouldn't be without it. Amazing how we sometimes list what is recorded to the DVR and we have a TV show that was picked up thanks to the record programming variations available to us. The other feature that comes in real handy is I am recording a Duke college basketball game right now that won't be finished when Newt gets home. But we can start watching it from the beginning while it continues to record. Something we never could do pre-DVR. It also allows us to pause/rewind anything that we are watching.

I understand where Kleinboet is coming from, though. To be forced to upgrade your existing equipment, sometimes at an expense you can ill afford, can be very frustrating.

Last night - we must have seen the same advert :(

Seems you now have to buy a special digital TV recorder, as most current ones will not work.

Fortunately, there's not been anything worth watching on TV, let alone worth recording, since around 1984.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE