Digital TV

kleinboet

Guest sandpipper

"happy to see the VCR go in the bin"

Colin funny you should say that ive got a brand new vcr, new i mean its a couple of years old but never been used so ive linked it up with my tv card on my pc and have been loading our old video`s on to my hard drive then into dvd`s, so im getting some use out of it now.

Tony

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also been informed, that if you purchase a top set box or freeview to pickup these Digital channels, you need to replace your analogue aerial to digital aerial, when the switch over happens.

I can see the installation companies putting there prices up, if this is the case.

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

I have also been informed, that if you purchase a top set box or freeview to pickup these Digital channels, you need to replace your analogue aerial to digital aerial, when the switch over happens.

I can see the installation companies putting there prices up, if this is the case.

some will need upgrading but only for extreme fringe areas or really old aerials that were narrowband

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Great!

Thats me then.

Will i have to change my aerial splitter?

I have the roof Aerial connected to a four way splitter connected to 4 TV`s

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

no but usually a good clean doesent hurt the connections get corroded and dirty etc ,most aerials are fine so get a box and then decide if ofcourse your where it can be picked up unlike analogue digitals signals dont like obstructions and cant bounce of clouds ,somepeople may never get a good signal even a 100 yards away from some one with a great one purely because their located where the signal cant get to

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

no but usually a good clean doesent hurt the connections get corroded and dirty etc ,most aerials are fine so get a box and then decide if ofcourse your where it can be picked up unlike analogue digitals signals dont like obstructions and cant bounce of clouds ,somepeople may never get a good signal even a 100 yards away from some one with a great one purely because their located where the signal cant get to

The easiest way to understand radiowaves / signals is pretty much the same way as LIGHT. They travel at the same speed and to an extent act the same.

Imagine you are on holiday and laid in the sun getting all of the rays , someone is sat 20 yards away from you next to a wall / parasol ...whatever and are partially in the shade and not receiving the full power of the sun. The 'shade' is known as reasonable to poor reception. Now imagine the same scenario and another less fortunate person who slept in has to put up with sitting behind a parasol and a brick wall (not much chance of a tan) this is poor to fringe area reception.

OK a poor example (but i've been plyed with drink all night)

One of the main reasons for a 'digital' or wideband aerial is even though the companies that be have already laid out their design of the tuning spectrum for transmission of digital broadcasts , some hiccups may and inevitably will occur during this process and some multiplexes will be subject to change and being altered or moved around the tuning band. In short , a wideband aerial will receive the full tuning band 21-68 , whereas a designated 'grouped' aerial is manufactured to receive just on particular part of the band. ie GROUP A is cut to receive broadcasts form 21-37 GROUP B is cut to receive 35-53. No grouped aerial will receive the entire spectrum of the tuning band. So if you have a group A aerial in your loft (20 years or more) and the powers that be decide to alter the digital muxs to say 40 to 56 the group A aerial in your loft will not be able to receive the transmissions.

So the cut and thrust of it is , the powers that be don't know exactly what is going where (different mux locations for different area locations also don't forget) and are basically covering their own ar5es by advising the general public to install a wideband / digital aerial. Nothing more , nothing less. I really shouldn't be telling you this you know.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

The easiest way to understand radiowaves / signals is pretty much the same way as LIGHT. They travel at the same speed and to an extent act the same.

Imagine you are on holiday and laid in the sun getting all of the rays , someone is sat 20 yards away from you next to a wall / parasol ...whatever and are partially in the shade and not receiving the full power of the sun. The 'shade' is known as reasonable to poor reception. Now imagine the same scenario and another less fortunate person who slept in has to put up with sitting behind a parasol and a brick wall (not much chance of a tan) this is poor to fringe area reception.

OK a poor example (but i've been plyed with drink all night)

One of the main reasons for a 'digital' or wideband aerial is even though the companies that be have already laid out their design of the tuning spectrum for transmission of digital broadcasts , some hiccups may and inevitably will occur during this process and some multiplexes will be subject to change and being altered or moved around the tuning band. In short , a wideband aerial will receive the full tuning band 21-68 , whereas a designated 'grouped' aerial is manufactured to receive just on particular part of the band. ie GROUP A is cut to receive broadcasts form 21-37 GROUP B is cut to receive 35-53. No grouped aerial will receive the entire spectrum of the tuning band. So if you have a group A aerial in your loft (20 years or more) and the powers that be decide to alter the digital muxs to say 40 to 56 the group A aerial in your loft will not be able to receive the transmissions.

So the cut and thrust of it is , the powers that be don't know exactly what is going where (different mux locations for different area locations also don't forget) and are basically covering their own ar5es by advising the general public to install a wideband / digital aerial. Nothing more , nothing less. I really shouldn't be telling you this you know.

but we already know ;)

we had a huge aerial on our last house on a rotator to but we left it :cry: our new house has two but need sorting out before the day trouble is were now in a valley so unless we fit a 100ft mast to peek over the top were stuffed the hills shelter us from the main transmitters even turning up the power in the transmitters wont help we need a transmitter closer.

you can always tell a good reception area short masts and all the aerials facing the same way ,our village has long masts all pointing in different directions :wallbash:

Edited by chesters1