night fishing for pike

Guest stubbo

I think Anderoo's right. I've sat up all night, only once or twice and found all my runs where during daylight hours and dusk and then at dawn. I wouldn't bother m8.

might give it a miss tigger . Read an article in mag about night fishing for pike got me thinking..... stubbo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

might give it a miss tigger . Read an article in mag about night fishing for pike got me thinking..... stubbo

Don't blame you m8. Probably better stickin to day time Pikin.

I used to night fish the thames a lot for eels a few years ago with a two rod set up[ one rod lob worms one rod half a roach both with wire traces] and i never caught a pike at night.

Dawn and dusk would often see pike but never in the proper hours of dark, This is not to say that its not worth a go but i would sit right next to the rods both on buzzers and hit the slightest twitch as eels swallow baits even quicker than pike or perch.

In short as has already been mentioned if your not prepared to stay awake then fish for something else at night , By the time you have crawled out of a bivvy half asleep to a run the chances are the damage has already been done .

Good luck if you give it a go steve.

taken on board everybodys views i probably would fish to midnight for pike then fish for something else e.g carp eels bream

Lure fishing at night would probably be OK as long as you stayed with reaction lures where you would be sure of feeling any take. Spinners, plugs, and the like might just wink out a biggun or two on occasion.

Some real fun would be getting action on a buzz bait (buy one and paint it black for better contrast against the sky). Weird Americanish lure that no self respecting fish should pay the slightest bit of attention to but ......

bait09.jpg

Or for warmer weather when frogs will normally be out and about

BuzznFrog.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Lure fishing at night would probably be OK as long as you stayed with reaction lures where you would be sure of feeling any take. Spinners, plugs, and the like might just wink out a biggun or two on occasion.

Some real fun would be getting action on a buzz bait (buy one and paint it black for better contrast against the sky). Weird Americanish lure that no self respecting fish should pay the slightest bit of attention to but ......

bait09.jpg

Or for warmer weather when frogs will normally be out and about

hi now thats got me thinking lure fishing at night........

thanks for your reply having problems with pc just got message . Just thought maybe fishing till midnight then calling it a draw or throwing a carp or eel rod out.Read somewhere a guy fishing a canal with good results..... stubbo

Pike and predators using topwaters or just subsurface baits like top docs superfreaks znd suckers

Stubbo - you won't often catch on a lure on a winter's night but when you do, it is really exciting.

Our black bass (largemouth where I live) are warm water fish and really inactive in water below about 10ºC. Really slow fishing for them under good conditions.

I have taken an occasional bass on a buzzbait with the water temps approaching freezing and while they have been few, those few have been huge.

Not trying to push stuff I sell but if you click on my ebay store link, I have a 6" rubber pike lure listed that gives enough vibration to be easily located in the dark and I don't think any are for sale in the UK so I can't point you to a local shop for them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil

An interesting thread this.

Thinking back to where I have caught pike at night, and also knowing of the places others have caught, it seems to me that rivers are more productive than still waters at night. Just my own observations though.

There is a lake near me which seems to struggle a bit in the day but has lots of pike in it, so I might just have a go for a couple of evenings. Its 60 acres and should have some real nice specimens but I never hear of 20's coming out.........wonder if they might come out of a night? Gotta be worth a go I reckon.