impressed with vista

barry luxton

The bottom line is, if someone is happy with Vista, let them be happy with it Corydoras, I know you love to have the last word and aspire to be AN's resident know-it-all, but for millions of users, Vista fits the bill. Why is 'fastest' such an important thing in the world of computing anyway? Xp for me is no faster than Vista in the apps I use, not in real terms anyway.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vista does need more resources to run and for a geek, the safety features can be annoying.

That said, for most users it is a huge improvement and almost certainly more stable.

I'm running Vista on my laptop at home - it came pre-installed - and have no intentions of removing it in favour of XP-pro even though I own several legal copies. I just have to live with being able to compute more and do less housekeeping. It is probably a bit slower with heavy duty programs but I'm not running any at home so it is doing fine.

Chesters - a 64 bit system should run almost all (maybe all, all) of your 32 bit stuff. I'm not sure it emulates 16 bit as well as XP can though. That would need trying with the specific ancient apps you have.

Vista does need more resources to run and for a geek, the safety features can be annoying.

That said, for most users it is a huge improvement and almost certainly more stable.

I'm running Vista on my laptop at home - it came pre-installed - and have no intentions of removing it in favour of XP-pro even though I own several legal copies. I just have to live with being able to compute more and do less housekeeping. It is probably a bit slower with heavy duty programs but I'm not running any at home so it is doing fine.

Chesters - a 64 bit system should run almost all (maybe all, all) of your 32 bit stuff. I'm not sure it emulates 16 bit as well as XP can though. That would need trying with the specific ancient apps you have.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You get more bang for your buck running XP, with Vista you are losing up to a gig of ram, just for the 'pleasure' of running Vista.

That's just twaddle barry, sorry. What do you mean by more 'intricate'? I run the same software as I always have and it all works better under XP. My laptop is as 'upgraded' as it can be, the only way that I could get any more oomph out of it was to install XP. I've got a couple of my clients and friends to downgrade to XP. None are itching to go back to Vista, especially those who run Photoshop and or Premiere.

Are you saying that you can't add anymore ram to make your machine go even faster, what size is it, your machine i mean. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I myself run XP and Vista and wouldn't think twice of getting another machine with XP on it.

Plain and simply , IMO , Vista is head and shoulders above XP in every department (once you get used to it). And not to be too contradictory , Vista IMO is also quicker than XP too, that might be to do with the fact that i'm running Vista on a quad core machine but , hey , give it a year or too and a quad core will be the norm or maybe even out-dated. The fact is technology is moving forward at a ridiculous pace and we , pc users , like it or not are going to HAVE to move forward with it.

Vista is fantastic. :)

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

I myself run XP and Vista and wouldn't think twice of getting another machine with XP on it.

Plain and simply , IMO , Vista is head and shoulders above XP in every department (once you get used to it). And not to be too contradictory , Vista IMO is also quicker than XP too, that might be to do with the fact that i'm running Vista on a quad core machine but , hey , give it a year or too and a quad core will be the norm or maybe even out-dated. The fact is technology is moving forward at a ridiculous pace and we , pc users , like it or not are going to HAVE to move forward with it.

Vista is fantastic. :)

Try a wee experiment then. Try installing XP on your nice new quad core machine and see how fast it really can go. Try it, suck and see and then tell me I'm not right.

Are you saying that you can't add anymore ram to make your machine go even faster, what size is it, your machine i mean. :)
It a dual core laptop. came with 1GB ram, has been upgraded to two.

With Vista loaded, I have about 1GB of ram free, with XP I have about 1.5. That makes a huge difference when I'm rendering video.

Its not UAT that bugs me, that can easily be switched off, it's the amount of RAM Vista swallows up, even when it's doing nothing.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Try a wee experiment then. Try installing XP on your nice new quad core machine and see how fast it really can go. Try it, suck and see and then tell me I'm not right.

I could tell lies and say that i already have but , i won't. But why would i want to do that anyway? It would be taking a step back ....if you want to stick with xp then by all means please do , enjoy it. As far as i know , MS aren't supporting xp after the sp3 anyhoo , so the bullet has already been fired on the system just waiting for it's last breath.

I won't doubt that xp is / was a very good and easy system to use , only after you had got your head round it. Much the same as Vista. I really don't know why people pull it to pieces , it really is easy to use.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

I could tell lies and say that i already have but , i won't. But why would i want to do that anyway? It would be taking a step back ....if you want to stick with xp then by all means please do , enjoy it. As far as i know , MS aren't supporting xp after the sp3 anyhoo , so the bullet has already been fired on the system just waiting for it's last breath.

I won't doubt that xp is / was a very good and easy system to use , only after you had got your head round it. Much the same as Vista. I really don't know why people pull it to pieces , it really is easy to use.

As of April 2008, Microsoft is extending availability of Windows XP Home Edition for OEMs to install on Ultra Low-Cost PCs. The new OEM end date will be the later of either June 30, 2010, or one year after the general availability of the next version of Windows.

People pull it to pieces because it's a resource hog, the fact that it an easier to use resource hog don't lighten the load.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

As of April 2008, Microsoft is extending availability of Windows XP Home Edition for OEMs to install on Ultra Low-Cost PCs. The new OEM end date will be the later of either June 30, 2010, or one year after the general availability of the next version of Windows.

People pull it to pieces because it's a resource hog, the fact that it an easier to use resource hog don't lighten the load.

Well chuck , if you have an issue with MS and Vista , so be it. I'm happy with it :P

Compared to 2000, XP was a major hog but it had features that made it worth the overhead for many users.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Compared to 2000, XP was a major hog but it had features that made it worth the overhead for many users.
True, and I for one wouldn't want to or advocate that anyone go back that far, mind you having said that, our 'house' server has W2K server running on it. It's been down in the cellar for years with minimal intervention, but that's another story.