crabs for bait

Klaus

Hello all

Are the crabs that you catch on a line with bits bacon in pools etc peeler crabs ? If so I know peeler crabs can be use for bait, but how do yo prepare and attach to the hook ? all suggestions welcome

They are the same shore crabs, but peelers refer to the fact that they are about to shed their shell and have a soft body you can put on a hook. You can use hard shell crabs for some species but they are nothing like a juicy peeler! you just thread them on a hook and wrap in elastic to hold it there

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

They are the same shore crabs, but peelers refer to the fact that they are about to shed their shell and have a soft body you can put on a hook. You can use hard shell crabs for some species but they are nothing like a juicy peeler! you just thread them on a hook and wrap in elastic to hold it there

Is there a specific time of year when they become ready to shed shell, or is it pot luck on the ones you catch

Is there a specific time of year when they become ready to shed shell, or is it pot luck on the ones you catch

Have a look here:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/diary/p...peelercrab.html

Don't be afraid to ask basic questions though Klaus. Somebody will usually take the time time to answer rather than sneer at your obvious inexperience. Wouldn't hurt to do a Google first though. ;)

Have a look here:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/diary/p...peelercrab.html

Don't be afraid to ask basic questions though Klaus. Somebody will usually take the time time to answer rather than sneer at your obvious inexperience. Wouldn't hurt to do a Google first though. ;)

Well just looked into the dissection of the peeler for use on a hook, Hannibal lecter could probably do it one handed. And after having drunk the whole bottle of chianti, to me on the other hand i think a full frontal labotamy or even a full bottle in front of me would be easier. I think i'll stick to Rag or fish 4 bait

Peeler crab is probably the best bait in the country. Obviously other things work but most fish will take a peeler if delivered in the right way at the right time.

Wrasse will happily take hard backed crabs, most other species wont :)

Edited by glennk

hi all have any of you used hermit crab for cod ect or any tips with using the bait

what people dont know dont hurt em

life is like a pube on a toilet seat some times you just get **** off

I'm just dishonest. You can always trust an honest man to be dishonest.Honestly, it's the honest man you need to look out for, because you never know when he's going to do something incredibly stupid." - Jack Sparrow