Wingham Fish-In 2008

Steve Burke

Paul - The Fish-In now always finishes the Monday before the end of May Bank Holiday. The dates are set to fit in with the spawning of the fish. The perch will normally have spawned a couple of weeks earlier, whilst the bream, roach and rudd usually spawn early June, and the tench early July. This is later than other local waters but Wingham warms up more slowly being deep and near the sea, that is cold in the spring. I'd add that I close the water for a fortnight or so after the bream spawn as they're easily stressed then.

Is it possible for you to swap duties with a colleague?

Barry - The Fish-In is open to anyone who's a registered Forum member when I take bookings (normally from around May 1st). In the unlikely event of being over-subscribed I've always said priority would be given to those who haven't already been.

Perhaps this uncertainty about getting a place has been one of the problems with low numbers?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wingham is probably the one place that would cause me to break my 'close season', (and my unhooking mat ;) ) rule Steve.

Distance is one factor, about 600 mile round trip, (nearer 800 with my sense of direction :unsure: ), then cost, and health also come into it.

So although it's very unlikely I'll ever make it, I'll never say never. :)

Just a thought, the daunting prospect of meeting some of you lot in the flesh, might be too much for some members. :P

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Paul - The Fish-In now always finishes the Monday before the end of May Bank Holiday. The dates are set to fit in with the spawning of the fish. The perch will normally have spawned a couple of weeks earlier, whilst the bream, roach and rudd usually spawn early June, and the tench early July. This is later than other local waters but Wingham warms up more slowly being deep and near the sea, that is cold in the spring. I'd add that I close the water for a fortnight or so after the bream spawn as they're easily stressed then.

Is it possible for you to swap duties with a colleague?

OK Steve. I see your point. I'll see nearer the time about a swap when we all know what we're doing.

Gozzer - Car share? If I could/can go I'd be happy to.

Paul

Gozzer - Car share? If I could/can go I'd be happy to.

Good idea Paul,

I'll have to see nearer the date, as I say health issues come into it as well, so I don't want to make a commitment, then have to pull out.

If it's just me that's disappointed, that's one thing, but I'd hate it to spoil someone else's trip.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hopefully this will help people decide to grab this unique opportunity :)

Worried you might blank? Well, you might! Wingham isn't an easy water. But if you do catch something, it's likely to be something very special. Have a look through old catch reports...

Worried about meeting people from the forum? Don't be. Wierdly, AN is only rarely a topic of conversation, it's just a group of people fishing. In fact, it's all too easy to go through the weekend having only spoken to a couple of people! It also adds another dimension to the forum, having met some of the people behind the avatars!

Worried you're 'not good enough'? None of us are Chris Yates! Besides which, Steve and the baliffs are superb and spend time with everyone pointing out the features and hotspots in your swim, and are always around to answer questions. Also, clever rigs and up-to-the-minute trickery really isn't necessary. The fish aren't pressured and a simple approach is best

Worried you don't have the right gear? Most of the swims can be fished in the margins, gear can be lent out for the weekend, and there's the clubhouse to sleep in if you don't want to bivvy up.

Worried about the distance? Come on, you only live once! Make it a once in a lifetime treat.

Worried aboput the expense? As above! Plus, how many chances are you going to have to fish one of the country's top specimen waters for free?

It might seem a bit odd that I'm so keen for you all to go (especially as it will probably mean I don't get a spot!) but it's such an incredible place, and such a great weekend (don't forget the daily BBQs :rolleyes: ) that I just think you'd be crazy not to!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

gozzer and Paul_D - if I do manage to make the (seriously!) long trip from up here I will very likely be travelling in an 8 seat minibus with serious amounts of tackle space too.

It's as easy for me to travel either A1/M1 or M6, so could easily collect you guys on the way through Yorkshire. Like I say I'm not 100% guaranteed to be going yet, but if I do, and if you want a lift down and back the company would be good.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

gozzer and Paul_D - if I do manage to make the (seriously!) long trip from up here I will very likely be travelling in an 8 seat minibus with serious amounts of tackle space too.

It's as easy for me to travel either A1/M1 or M6, so could easily collect you guys on the way through Yorkshire. Like I say I'm not 100% guaranteed to be going yet, but if I do, and if you want a lift down and back the company would be good.

That's a great idea nick, thanks.

A couple more and you could be the owner of the official AN bus. :lol:

We'll have to talk nearer the day, but sounds good to me.

John.

I can never understand why the Fish-In is always undersubscribed either.

Is it the distance?

Are members put off because it's not as easy as the waters they're used to?

Any ideas? :g:

I've twice tried to come and not made it, both times due to work getting in the way. But as I'm now a house husband, nothing should stop me next year!

Mat

Mat

Sounds like a plan Nick....

Paul