Wingham Fish-In 2008

Steve Burke

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about Richard, I'm keeping an eye on him.

Wouldn't it be a pity if all his tackle was stolen the day before the fish-in? [said with a creepy Italian-American accent]

:D

Mine may as well have been stolen last year, I didn't need it :lol:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Steve, if you're around, it might be a good idea to start a new thread with last-minute information about the weekend. You could also post a list of who you think is going, and which species they are after. My participation is still likely but it might depend on my being able to bring my non-fishing partner. She would see it as a good weekend camping, if the weather is OK, but she probably wouldn't be keen if its raining.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

If you cant land a carp on 8lb line and 1 3/4 rods give up mate i dont use tow ropes. lol :P

Trouble is, if you are (un)lucky enough to hook one of the few carp, they tear off and dive straight over one of the razor-sharp flint and gravel bars, and - *ping*!

I'd say 1 3/4lb tc rods are pretty much ideal.

EDIT: Pangolin, Steve's busy with moving house at the mo, he usually starts a new topic taking bookings and giving out details just a couple of weeks or so before the big day.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If you cant land a carp on 8lb line and 1 3/4 rods give up mate i dont use tow ropes. lol :P

It's not always as east as that terry t shirt. Stick a few gravel bars and weedbeds in and things get very interesting.

Last year for instance I had real trouble floater fishing on a tiny little local gravel pit stopping Carp of a similar weight to my line bs from sucking in the floater from the very edge of the lillys and then burying themselves back into the stalks. I think I managed to stop 1 out of 4 before I gave it up as a bad job.

That Anderoo is quick off the mark today..

Edited by dant

Trouble is, if you are (un)lucky enough to one one of the few carp, they tear off and dive straight over one of the razor-sharp flint and gravel bars, and - *ping*!

I'd say 1 3/4lb tc rods are pretty much ideal.

EDIT: Pangolin, Steve's busy with moving house at the mo, he usually starts a new topic taking bookings and giving out details just a couple of weeks or so before the big day.

As I recall, there was a lot of pinging and "Oh s**t, etc, etc" last year and the year before mainly due to those flint and gravel bars. I think you're on the right lines though, tow ropes and scaffolding poles might be enough to stop them !

For everything else though, those rods are ideal (that's what I'll be taking too).

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

That Anderoo is quick off the mark today..

If you think that's quick, you should have seen me at last year's fish-in - get to the fabled gates early, no time to chat, straight round to my swim, set up, marker rod out and spots found, bait up for ages with cunningly concocted sloppy groundbait, get everything ready, mark up my lines, cast out, bivvy up, and then - sit around for three days as the bobbins swung idly in the breeze, occasionally taking time to wander over to Richard's swim to take yet another photo of a giant tench or bream :rolleyes::lol:

I'm more use to catching chub and barbel out of the ouse on float tackle, If you have the confidence to hold on its suprising how much strain you can give before it all lets go, and that was with 4lb line.

Btw i'll have heavier stuff with me just incase . Scaffold = beachcasters , got those , tow rope 30lb line got that (did i mention i was going down to folkestone the day before?

BTW i need pointing to the swims i havnt fished there yet . Steve where are those bream?

Edited by terry t shirt

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.