Wingham Fish-In 2008

Steve Burke

Guest tigger
Tigger, it's an old gravel working and is absolutely littered with huge gravel bars. The ones you can see in the picture are the shallowest ones (some are 30-40ft wide!), but there are other deeper ones which don't show up. The two 'main' trenches are (I think) old roads where the machinery used to drive.

That's one of the things that makes it so interesting. Maybe you think the fish might feed on top of a bar - but which one! Perhaps you reckon they might be patrolling along the bottom of a bar, but again, which do you go for? And which side of it? The reason the margins are a good place to fish is that (besides the fact that the fish come in very close) you can feed and cast accurately. It's a windy place, and if you get a cast wrong by a few feet you could be on the top of a 2ft deep bar instead of at the bottom of it in 10ft of water :rolleyes:

Of course, looking at it in real life you can't see any of the stuff in the picture, it's just a sheet of water. That's why it's a good idea to listen to Steve and the baliffs who know the place really well.

The other thing - maybe the main thing - about Wingham is the sense of wildness and the incredible amounts of wildlife, some of it pretty rare (like Cetti Warblers and Black Kites). The amount of birdsong is amazing. It really is a timeless kind of place.

And you might catch a record fish :D

As you say it's a tricky one too fish with all those channels etc. The way you describe it Anderoo it sounds like my kind of place..peacefull, birdsong etc.

Anderoo is the bottom open gravel or has it got a lot of wead ?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you say it's a tricky one too fish with all those channels etc. The way you describe it Anderoo it sounds like my kind of place..peacefull, birdsong etc.

Anderoo is the bottom open gravel or has it got a lot of wead ?

I think it's been treated this year, so there won't be much. There was a lot last summer, but only a little at the last Fish-in in May.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger
I think it's been treated this year, so there won't be much. There was a lot last summer, but only a little at the last Fish-in in May.

That sounds great then, spot on for feeder work

Thank's for the info Anderoo :thumbs:

You forgot the fantastic BBQ :D

Ah not forgotton Darren but intentionally omitted! If I had been the first to mention it then I would have had to take the flack that Eltons getting re food!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest tigger
You intending to feeder fish "match" style Tigger?

Budgie I don't know what match style is, what is it ? To me feeder fishing is just fishing on the bottom with a feeder full of grub each cast to tempt the fish to the general area where my bait is.

If I can fish cloes enough in then I just ball in the groundbait and ledger over it.

By "match"style I meant regular casting to same place with small hooks and baits.As opposed to "specimen" style with heavier tackle,buzzers/bobbins and bigger feeders with less regular casting.

Guest tigger
By "match"style I meant regular casting to same place with small hooks and baits.As opposed to "specimen" style with heavier tackle,buzzers/bobbins and bigger feeders with less regular casting.

I think I'll be more specimine style or maybe a bit in between the two . How do you fish it Budgie ?

Uptillnow out and out specimen bream style with running link ledger rigs.buzzers and bobbins.I some times have a rod out with a big maggot feeder on it as well eels allowing.

The reason I asked if you (or anyone else for that matter) would be fishing it "match" style is that one water I caught a lot of my doubles from only produced (to the heavier "Specimen" style) during the late evenings.Wingham (up to now has also tended not to give up its big bream to regularly in daylight.The first water I mentioned though you could sometimes still catch the big bream during the day using lighter float or "match" style feeder fishing.

I would have been interested in seeing how this worked at Wingham.