Wingham Fish-In 2008

Steve Burke

Ive found a swing tip pointed straight out and with the tip as low as possible reduces line bites ok. Long as your not fishing to far out.

Phill Smith reckons you should always fish at ideally 40-60m for Bream to avoid bankside disturbance.And in all fairness on most waters Ive found this to be sound advice, but at Wingham several big bream have come out close in at the bottom of the marginal shelf.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By "match"style I meant regular casting to same place with small hooks and baits.As opposed to "specimen" style with heavier tackle,buzzers/bobbins and bigger feeders with less regular casting.

Hi Bud(gie) and terry

I have been to each of the Wingham fish-ins and have yet to catch a fish, I wouldn't miss it for the world!! and hopefully will be one of the lucky attendees again this year.

I will be feeder fishing match style during the day so lets see how it goes.

Really looking forward to this now I've read through the threads!!

COlin

Colin
My Website

My Blog (mostly Match Fishing)

I tend to fish 'match style' in the day and 'specimen style' at night - that is, in the daytime I float fish if possible, or fish light, running feeders, and at night swap to heavy semi-fixed legers.

To be honest though, if there aren't any fish in your swim (and there often aren't!) you aren't going to catch much, but if some of the fabulous Wingham tench, perch, and (dare i say it) bream arrive, as long as you're not doing anything REALLY wrong (chucking in rocks, not attaching a hook, not wearing realtree :rolleyes: ) you'll catch a few. The fish are largely left in peace and so aren't particularly cute when it comes to lines, hooks, rigs, etc. and if they're there and feeding, they're not that hard to catch. However, as they're not often disturbed by people, staying quiet is essential.

The thing to get right is staying quiet and getting your bait and rig to the hot areas of your swim where the fish naturally feed (which is where the advice of Steve and the baliffs is worth its weight in gold). If you're fishing the wrong spots, the fish are unlikely to go out of their way to find your bait because the lake is crawling with natural food.

Luck and whether any fish are present are the things to wish for!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Steve

Would you mind Sue and I popping along for a day if she is up to it.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Not knowing if i'm looking at the correct lake but can i reserve the peg on the point in the middle of the lake? (Square corner) is it any good btw from the view it looks like it has every feature imaginable.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Terry,

Steve normally asks you what sort of species you're after, whether you've been/caught before, etc and then assigns swim based on that. So on that basis Richard should get a swim with no features and where no fish have ever been caught ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Hi Bud(gie) and terryI have been to each of the Wingham fish-ins and have yet to catch a fish, I wouldn't miss it for the world!! and hopefully will be one of the lucky attendees again this year. I will be feeder fishing match style during the day so lets see how it goes.Really looking forward to this now I've read through the threads!!COlin
I'm glad I'm not the only one :lol: lyn
SteveWould you mind Sue and I popping along for a day if she is up to it.Tony
Have I missed something, what is wrong with my mulled wine making mate???lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Not knowing if i'm looking at the correct lake but can i reserve the peg on the point in the middle of the lake? (Square corner) is it any good btw from the view it looks like it has every feature imaginable.
As Jedibond said I send a detailed questionnaire out to those who've booked and allocate swims accordingly. That way those arriving first, and those who've fished the water before don't have an advantage.I've found this system works well, and I can accomodate the preferences of most guests.
SteveWould you mind Sue and I popping along for a day if she is up to it.Tony
You'd both be most welcome, Tony, for however long you want to come. You also have a PM. Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

hi guys,

im looking to attend the wingham fish-in this year if lucky enough to get a place, i have never fished it before but my dad (steve campbell) is a member at wingham and my late uncle alan (meatballs) had fished it and caught.

i'm just wondering what you think the best method is for catching the tench as if i got a place i would like to mirror meatballs acheivements.

cheers

Ian

www.prostate-cancer.org.uk Real Men Know About It