How Gill Nets Work.

samuel-cox

202:

your average inshore boat, does not do any great harm to the sea bed, light contact is required

Hiya,

What about the inshore Prawn trawlers up here, they target a species that lives most of the time in burrows in the sea bed.. How can you trawl them without damaging the sea bed ???

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

If we could get rid of the pair trawlers and bring back gill nets on the yorkshire coast I feel the situation would be a lot better. Them bloody pair trawlers are deadly. I watched 1 pair trawling boat land hundreds and hundreds of boxes at whitby last night at 11 pm. They would never catch all that with gill nets.

the scots realised the potential when they were pairing down the west country in the early seventies for mackeril, and the french had been doing it for some considerable time befor that Steve,as for the prawns, I grant you they live/like soft ground, but the construction of the ground rope on them nets is no more than a peice of coir/natural rope with lead rings attached, or small discs, but what does the catching is the sweeps either side of the net,

Samuel, I must apologise, I knew there was something bugging me about your post. And after reading it a dozen times i finaly clicked on(DOH) that you meant crabs that have been trawled rather than anglers trawling crabs as bait. I soppose your sentance could mean iether or but ill assume its the lesser of 2 evils.

But onto that. It certainly not anglers who are trawling the crabs up is it...

Tight Lines

Shaun

Guest jay_con

Did you not know they pair trawl for prawns davey? they Pair trawl for anything that moves and some things that have never moved.

I dont know much about pair trawling for prawns but I think they get extra days at sea if they fish prawns with a certain size net. This means they use up days at sea for cod then bang on a prawn net and hey presto they can stay at sea. Guess what accidently gets caught in the prawn net? Cod perhaps?.

I'm informed that pair trawling for prawns is even worse environmentally than for cod. Apparently nothing escapes because the mesh is that small. Tiny tiny baby fish are killed and discarded and never counted because they are so small they might not even be seen

Guest jay_con

No spur hound I dont think anglers trawl the crabs but they definately provide the market. A lot (not all) the peelers you see advertised in sea angler are trawled in the estuaries in the south of the country. Friend of mine bought some off a guy down south (plymouth if my memory serves me right) The guy said he can get up to 2000 crabs in an hours trawl, and to be honest they were crab crabs half were soft and turning back hard, some were peelers and a lot were just hard backs. Perhaps if anyone buys crabs in future they could enquire has to how they were acquired.

Hiya, I've been watching this GREAT thread since the beginning,but,I dont know ANYTHING at all about the subject,but can get the gist of it, mibbes Alan Taylor will see it, as he used to be a full time Wreck Netter,and Inshore Netter,of some 20 odd years experience,his input would be valuable I think.....even if its only to make it a bit clearer to me...... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/