CP reels in still water

kleinboet

I used to until I bumped my rod off the rests and it landed on the ground on my Kingpin's spool rim cracking it. I had to buy a new one at nearly the original cost of the reel.

Paul

i see a few arials in use around the pond and a very strange setup with a tiny reel on a pole ,continental the chap said ! i left it at that

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I use mine for 'hit and hold' in the margins, because I find it easier and more responsive than a fixed spool. (Thanks to DavyR for putting me onto that a while ago!)

There's an elderly gentleman in his 80's regularly fishes Rainford Reservoir using any of 6 c/pin's from his wicker creel. When I'd finished drooling over his 4 different Young's, his 2 Lythe's, Free Spirit and Okuma, I asked him why a 'pin for pure waggler and maggot tactics under his rod tip, he said 'B....y fixed spools! Can't be doing with 'em, lad!'

You can't beat an open mind!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Budgie, what's with the "purist" lark? That was for Trout fishing. What do you think we used before fixed spool reels came on to the market! If you get into a BIG fish, a CP can give you so much feel and a greater chance of landing it than with a fixed spool!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

fixed spools toan extent have been round for 80 odd years ,just how old are you Kleinboet :o

like nostalgia then look at my £2 bait press ,obviously some people do

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:IT&ih=009

were not talking hardy here :o

ps i'm not complaining

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1 - I was using CP's in South Africa from the late 50's until thie middle 80's when I returned to the UK.

The fixed spool reels (and multipiers) that were offered were very unreliable and didn't seem to last very long!

In answer to your other question - I am 64

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

even intrepids :D

I use my CP for all my float fishing now. I started to use it when fishing with Liam on a samll match pond, more to get the feel of it before going on to the rivers. I just loved using it it so much my fixed spool is almost redundant.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I use my pins for just about all my float fishing now, 18lb Carp the best fish so far on pin and float tactics :)

Summer pond, float up against the lilly pads, tench bubbles all around, a day made for the centrepin. just wish I could afford a decent cane rod to go with mine :rolleyes:

I just enjoy using them more than I do a fixed spool, hitting a cast just right is a real buzz (at least for me!) and they are Much Much more fun when playing a decent fish than a fixed spool!

just about the only time I use fixed spools now is still water ledgering, I prefer to ledger with a pin on rivers too!

Mat

Mat

:D Just come across this thread and whilst I agree with the comment that it is all about individual choice but I do love fishing with the pin particularly early season for Tench and Carp in the margins. Some of the gravel pits and lakes that I fish have fairly deep margins and for the last three or four years I have had some axcellent sport using the pin in conjunction with a polaris float and either an open end or maggot feeder. This is a great method for tight swims where an underhand chuck is the order of the day and it is also very sensitive. No alarms or excess kit, just the buzz when you get a churner and direct contact. Great for stalking and freelining as well. I do most types of fishing throughout the year but there is something magical for me about using a pin especially with a red topped float although after carbon, I woulds never go back to cane.