Marlin fishing Madiera/Portugal

DaveG

Glad to say you are wrong.

Was speaking to Peter today, he is alive and well on holiday in England at present. You really had me worried, Peter is a wonderful person and a great skipper. :D www.fishmadeira.com

woops, i was sure i read it on here a few months ago. never mind one of those senior moments creeping up on me.

when i was there his boat wasn't the most modern looking in comparison to some of the fleet but he did have the big reputation. pity he was away on holiday when i went as i may have caught something instead of watching the waves behind the boat for 3 days.

woops, i was sure i read it on here a few months ago. never mind one of those senior moments creeping up on me.

when i was there his boat wasn't the most modern looking in comparison to some of the fleet but he did have the big reputation. pity he was away on holiday when i went as i may have caught something instead of watching the waves behind the boat for 3 days.

Not to worry Dale. There was an Englishman working a Mitchell 31 (I think) from Funchal who had a great reputation there who sadly departed this year. It may have been his demise you read about. Agree about Peter's boat a Nelson 42 I believe,which continues to raise some good fish.

Safety habits last a lifetime.

:clap2: It was Ron Cowling of Our Mary, I fished with him a few times, here in UK then in Madeira a couple of times. In fact our club bought his boat when he moved abroad and we sold it this year, due to lack of use. :clap2:

It was Ron Cowling of Our Mary, I fished with him a few times,

Yep. so did Norma and I. Great skipper. The way he handled his boat to ensure the tagging of Norma's 900lb plus marlin was masterly.

...but its quite true about the catch rate - one marlin per week (but they are usually BIG...)

Reporting from Melbourne airport - been barra fishing - now for Tasmania its a fabulous trip so far

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Went out to tasmania a few years ago and its a stunning place,The coastline in places rivals anything you will see elsewhere in the world including the great ocean road.

The cliffs down the bottom around the hobart area are stunning{one part called devils kitchen well worth a look].

The old prison at Hobart is a humbling visit,Some of the convicts were sent there for the crime of stealing a loaf of bread!, There is a beach on the east coast by bichino/ scamander [spelling ?] that is about nine miles long or so and you can often walk the length without seeing anyone elses footprints wicked!.

Fished off a jetty wall at St Hellens for loads of small fish in amongst the local rednecks fishing for there tea,Also fished off the large rocks acting as breakwater by the ferry in devonport where i caught Barracuda Trevally and Australian Rock Salmon using pippis for bait [spelling?].

Also in some of the sea lagoons on the east coast i caught Australian Rock Salmon {looks like a cross bitween a mackerel and a trout] using whitebait as bait on the bottom in the shallow lagoon, The takes are well rapid [fishing with a small spinning rod and reel in free spool].

There is a wildlife park down the bottom end somewhere[sorry cant remember exact places] that has a snake farm where they harvest the venom for medical research and you can watch the guide get in the snake pen with all these snakes that kill you in like minutes to grab hold of one to milk its venom[Nutters what is it about the ausies that they are not happy unless they are trying to kill themselves lol].

The trout fishing is a bit tasty to i believe but we were there only for a week so couldnt fit it all in.

You will have a ball mate i am dead jealous looking out of the window here its about minus elentynine degrees and i now have to go outside to work Doh1.

Hope you catch a monster let us all know how you get on steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

June is a bit early for marlin on the Algarve coast. White marlin tend to come in around mid august and stay into mid/end september. The blues might be on the offshore marks in june, but I would say that september is prime time.

Day licenses for boat fishing in Portugal should be available on all legal boats for 3 euros a day.

Off to the airport in a min, to enjoy xmas in the cold and wet UK....back in the sun in early january.

Happy christmas to all :)

Bob

June is a bit early for marlin on the Algarve coast. White marlin tend to come in around mid august and stay into mid/end september. The blues might be on the offshore marks in june, but I would say that september is prime time.

Day licenses for boat fishing in Portugal should be available on all legal boats for 3 euros a day.

Off to the airport in a min, to enjoy xmas in the cold and wet UK....back in the sun in early january.

Happy christmas to all :)

Bob

:D Why on earth do you want to come here for Christmas, we were thinking of going to Portugal. :D