Is anybody there?

Kappa

Nice fishing. I really must get out as I haven't been since July, fly fishing. Mind you it was the River Wylye - one of the more beautiful waters in the UK and I got some good trout to 3lb on dry fly. Family commitments - kids, overworked wife and elderly parents 3 hours drive away mean that I just don't have the time. The next best thing is seeing what everyone else is doing. Might get out in the New Year. Small stream chub beckon for me....

• Like 1

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Family commitments - kids, overworked wife and elderly parents .................. mean that I just don't have the time.

Hmmmm. Been through that stage. Now I qualify as one of the "elderly parents" The time pressure seems the same as ever it was.

Too many medical appointments, angiograms, angioplasty, CTC scans, X-ray on twisted knee, checks on blood chemistry, urine chemistry, foot reflexes, eye checks,(3 - glaucoma, cataracts, retinopathies) Hearing checks etc etc etc. I suppose it is all good value for my life-time income tax money but all these activities are just measurements of progress from cradle to grave.

No NHS action follows all these measurements. As I could tell them (although they think it their job to tell me) , my hearing is almost non-existent, my eyesight is fine for distance, OK for reading with specs, and my 81-year-old ticker is steadily approaching its sell-by date.

Specs and hearing aids I purchased for myself, My GP prescribes nitroglycerine, and I've used enough in the last 15 years to blow up the Houses of Parliament (I know there are those that think that would have been the better option)

The twisted knee is slowly improving without any treatment whatsoever apart from internal lubrication with Highland Park malt.

The maxim that occurs to me whilst sitting in yet another waiting room is "You can't fatten a pig by weighing it"

My medical advisers tell me they are "worried". I refuse to worry, 'cos I'm just a grumpy old sod who wants to go fishing.

Got out for an enervating blank last week in between all these appointments.

• Like 3

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Good attitude. :clap3:

I am in a similar situation but seem to arrived at it earlier.

maybe my misspent youth was more misspent than your misspent youth

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

maybe my misspent youth was more misspent than your misspent youth

Somehow I doubt it.

Someone on the Non-fishing forum dug out an insurance self-assessment. Obviously intended to scare people into large premiums.

I went through it, but instead of answering with my present scenario, filled it in with the facts of my lifestyle when I was in my mid-twenties.

The answer generated suggested I have been dead for forty years !

RNLI Governor

I was asked by a younger club member at our Xmas Do, why I don't go match fishing any more, as I can still catch plenty of fish in my blogs. My answer was that, if the matches were only 3 hours, fished next to my car, while my younger competitors had electrodes in their hands to make them shake and they all wore welding goggles to reduce their eyesight, I might consider a comeback.

Just keep taking the pills chaps.

Thanks for cheering me up and making me laugh on my morning commute through a dark rainy morning and a packed train to London.

Thanks for cheering me up and making me laugh on my morning commute through a dark rainy morning and a packed train to London.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Oh dammit, it seems to have uploaded three times again..

Oh dammit, it seems to have uploaded three times again..

You should apply that method to the drinking of malt whiskey.

The secret of a happy life is to know when you have had enough............

......and then have a couple more.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

Not had a chance to fish much in the last month or so after enjoying some very good Perch fishing during the Autumne. I did manage to get out 2 weeks ago and winkled out a Zed of around 5 lb. Saying that I did manage a few days out fishing while on holiday in Costa Rica at the end of November and managed a nice brace of Sails on a day offshore and some Roosters, Cuda and Jacks inshore.

Not likely to do much now until late January, when hopefully I will get a chance to do some Piking.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek