XP to Vista

I am going to purchase a new eMachines E4264 + 20" LG widescreen tfr monitor which has MS Vista onboard, will I be able to take info from my current hard drives which run on XP?

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes :)

I've copied all my data from my XP machine onto my Vista laptop so that I can access it there as well.

Microsoft Office is usually backward compatable, so that files created on earlier versions can be read using later versions.

And there's the opportunity to write documents etc from the newer version so that they can be read by older versions (though if you don't use this facility, there may be problems in sharing documents with people using older versions).

Just a tip, if you are going to be running Vista, choose a machine with at least 2 gb of internal memory, or upgrade to 2 gb, otherwise performance might not be so great.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I've copied all my data from my XP machine onto my Vista laptop so that I can access it there as well.

Microsoft Office is usually backward compatable, so that files created on earlier versions can be read using later versions.

And there's the opportunity to write documents etc from the newer version so that they can be read by older versions (though if you don't use this facility, there may be problems in sharing documents with people using older versions).

Just a tip, if you are going to be running Vista, choose a machine with at least 2 gb of internal memory, or upgrade to 2 gb, otherwise performance might not be so great.

Thanks for that Leon, yes the new machine will have 2gb of memory, was going to build one but they are so cheap now it is not worth the effort, some of the current packages make you wonder how much they were making five years back per unit.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

but not forwards compatable ,there is a freebie microsoft prog that lets older office read new office files ,you also need a patch if you want to use the " transfer settings" files from XP to vista ,it gets round the 32 to 64 bit problem

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

but not forwards compatable ,there is a freebie microsoft prog that lets older office read new office files ,you also need a patch if you want to use the " transfer settings" files from XP to vista ,it gets round the 32 to 64 bit problem

That was what made me ask 32 to 64 bit problem.

It must be a BUG Leon this collapsing harddrive thing :lol: mine started playing up but in noticed it was only in certain parts of windows, carried chckdisk on c: and found two bad clusters and it autofixed the problem. have backed up again and will keep an eye on it.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

You have all the stupid Microsoft networking problems to look forward to :rolleyes: For some reason XP and Vista don't seem to like talking to each other, so the computers, shared folders etc. don't show up where they should do. Make sure all your stuff (workgroup, computers, printers, folders) have nice short names so you can enter their full addresses and bypass Microsoft!

You have all the stupid Microsoft networking problems to look forward to :rolleyes: For some reason XP and Vista don't seem to like talking to each other, so the computers, shared folders etc. don't show up where they should do. Make sure all your stuff (workgroup, computers, printers, folders) have nice short names so you can enter their full addresses and bypass Microsoft!

This is another worry, I might just go for a package either bare bones no software installed as I have a full ver. of XP

eat.gif

Petals Florist

This is another worry, I might just go for a package either bare bones no software installed as I have a full ver. of XP

To be honest it probably won't cause you a serious problem because Vista sees the shared bits on the XP computer, which is the way you will want it. It's my XP laptop that claims it can't see the shared stuff on my Vista desktop, which of course includes the printer! It's not a big problem once you resign yourself to not fixing it and just work around it, because it actually CAN communicate perfectly well!

just ordered a new mobo and cpu but will keep XP its flawed but i hear vista is far more resource hungry than XP and for vista to run seamlessly 2gig of memory is best (no problem being corrected) i'd rather have the enemy you know than one where you have to switch off huge bits of it to use :D

once software starts being vista only then the vista flaws should have been ironed out as with XP in its early days

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson