XP to Vista

ken,

I have Vista on my desktop and XP on my laptop. I prefer Vista, it seems faster to me and also it's forward looking rather than backward looking, who would go back to 98 now?

It's not quite clear, have you formatted the hard drive on your new computer? I hope not.

You seem to have two problems, data on an old drive and your TV card.

Why not stick your old drive back in your old computer and burn your data to DVD or copy to an external USB stick or hard drive.

This would leave you with only one problem, your TV card. try removing all TV card software and drivers and go to Haupage and download the latest Vista software and drivers.......or buy a new (made for Vista) TV card ;)

Don't forget installing an operating system means registering it with MS, not so easy if it has been installed on a different machine previously.

Edited by Ian FG

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its those shop bought machines thats the trouble ,there made so the most feeble minded have a hard job breaking the things (and thus less service calls under the warranty) if you break windows you just chuck in the disk that came with it and in an hour your using it again.

the problem comes when you dont want the pc to be so resourceful and install what you want!

now that dos is gone most of those handy tools that gave you access to drives is redundant ,it can be done but not easily for those that dont play in the pc's internals much. :(

the possible small partition is well hidden from prying eyes and usually only serious software like partition magic etc can get rid of it, trying to do it whilst the safety software is protecting the drive isnt easy and ofcourse if it hasent gone once you reboot it will just demand the startup disk and undo everything youve tried to do .

putting the naughty drive as a slave in another pc may get round it using windows disk manager to remove the partitions then repartition it and formatting each partition ,then chucking it in the offending machine and installing onto a hopefully clean partition using the xp disk may work

the dos commands under xp's install disk is very limited and persuading it to do anything bar simple things difficult in the extreme

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The old computer is pooped at the moment, I have decided to invest a little money in it next year providing the pentium 4 is ok, they appear to be obsolete and I really don't want to go down the new motherboard route.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Ken,

What exactly is wrong with your old computer?

Do you have a mate nearby with an XP desktop? You could set up your old drive as a slave on her machine and recover your data.

How important is the data? You'd be surprised by how much you probably don't need it :)

If your data is really, really important, there are companies who will recover it for you (for a fee, of course).

Old computers should be allowed to die with dignity.

Ian

Ken,

What exactly is wrong with your old computer?

Do you have a mate nearby with an XP desktop? You could set up your old drive as a slave on her machine and recover your data.

How important is the data? You'd be surprised by how much you probably don't need it :)

If your data is really, really important, there are companies who will recover it for you (for a fee, of course).

Old computers should be allowed to die with dignity.

Ian

The VAT is very important to me and the VAT office :D

I have all but finished the VAT quarter when the old pc started cutting out. I always backed up the info so it is safe.

What is annoying me is the fact that even Vista tells me that it should be able to read from a XP file format, but for reasons best known to it's self it will use the drive I have installed, it is in the bios and the device manager but not in My Computer.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

Ken,

I wish I lived near you so I could come round and help, but I don't.

If it was my computer I would use a boot CD with an NTFS driver and XTG to recover your files, so long as your HD was actually not dead.

Consider what I said earlier, if your data is critical, unplug your HD so it cannot be written to and maybe think about paying someone to recover your data.

I have run out of other ideas mate.

Ian

Ken,

I wish I lived near you so I could come round and help, but I don't.

If it was my computer I would use a boot CD with an NTFS driver and XTG to recover your files, so long as your HD was actually not dead.

Consider what I said earlier, if your data is critical, unplug your HD so it cannot be written to and maybe think about paying someone to recover your data.

I have run out of other ideas mate.

Ian

Thanks for replying all, the drive I am trying to make contact with is brand new purchased last Thursday. Worked ok on old machine, well long enough to clone, that was when I discovered something else was up the shoot.

Over Christmas I will strip the old machine down to try and find the problem, gut feeling is processor or chip on motherboard, cheapest option would be memory chips and I know I can replace them easily.

I will persist with my new machine, I have a software guru who will be home tomorrow, Bobs well up on Vista since it came out :rolleyes::lol: keeps him very well employed.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

Hi Ken,

Im no computer guru, but maybe a linux livecd is the answer for recovering your data?

Im pretty sure Knoppix can read NTFS , so it should be simple enough to recover your data and burn it/ upload it. It also has programs like qtparted to resize/reformat your HD if thats the root you choose.

You can get it here (its free):

http://www.knoppix.org/

You just need to download it, burn to disc as an iso. Then set your bios to boot from cd., and your away.

Worth having for emergencies anyway imho ;):)

p.s. Nice clear guide to using Knoppix as a rescue disk here:

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

The VAT is very important to me and the VAT office :D

I have all but finished the VAT quarter when the old pc started cutting out. I always backed up the info so it is safe.

What is annoying me is the fact that even Vista tells me that it should be able to read from a XP file format, but for reasons best known to it's self it will use the drive I have installed, it is in the bios and the device manager but not in My Computer.

ahh maybe it needs allocating a drive letter ,go to (xp version i dont speak vista) control panel ,administriv tools,computer management,disk management.

hopefully your drive will be there (NOT disk 0 dont fiddle with that one)

if theres a drive below it maybe just a case of giving the drive a letter (it was C so cannot exist now as disk 0 is drive C)

right click on your old drive an allocate it a drive letter nothing else and hopefully it will pop into view

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson