Sat Nav

Jeff S

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the market for a good GPS unit. I have a Garmin streetpilot 330 from the USA with European maps but they just don't seem to be very accurate here in the UK. Entering postcodes is quite useless.

Does anyone have a satnav that you would recommend - or what not to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking that Garmin was the one to get until I read yourPost.

Have a look here http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/874/r...75d6ef9125dccc2

I'm told that the police have to publish the whereabouts of speed cameras a week or so in advance and Road Angel gets updated with the info. Don't know if that's right!

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

is it true at the end of the 12months you get a nasty surprise ? does it refuse to update and plot to get you well lost untill you fork out money to pay for more updates

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I was thinking that Garmin was the one to get until I read yourPost.

Have a look here http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/874/r...75d6ef9125dccc2

I'm told that the police have to publish the whereabouts of speed cameras a week or so in advance and Road Angel gets updated with the info. Don't know if that's right!

Thanks Jim, I had a look at your link- That is pretty much what I am looking for. Transferable between cars and easy to use. Although I'm not too big on the 12 month contract though I suppose I could maybe find away around that. I can't help but wonder whether or not the UK maps provided with the garmins supplied in the UK are any more accurate than the software I bought from the USA. I can enter partial postcodes but that only gets me close.

The other reason I'm looking- for some reason on a trip down to Oxfordshire earlier this month my garmin let me down. I originally used it in a subaru impreza and then when the twins were born exchanged the scooby for a V40 Estate :blink: . The garmin won't charge from the cradle while in the V40, and the maps are outdated soo I wasted alot of time stopping to make sure that I was on the right route.

So I'm now reading every review I can get my hands on. I've ruled out TomTom and would still consider a garmin provided the postcode search is up to standard. Not too worried about points of interests and speed cameras.. remember I no longer have the impreza. :2:

Only a thought Jeff but chris goddard was selling one in the for sale section

Cheers Sandy :) I'll have a look.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

I have an RAC sat nav that cost around £120 a few months back so should be cheaper now. I looked at a few and the RAC one feels quality in the hand where as some felt plasticy and a bit naff. It comes with the incar holder that means it can be swapped between cars and also has speed camera alerts built in which is handy. I'm a total dim-wit when it comes to technical gadgets but this is also simple and easy to use with an easy to use touch screen menu.

http://www.motor-world.co.uk/show_prod.php...2daebf8bfd9758b

Edited by *Ant*

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

I use a Garmin and have had no problems with it at all. When we looked there were three models, Brenda said that it is something that you only buy once ,so I got the top of the range one.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Why have you ruled out TomTom?

They're pretty much the benchmark in satnav now, with good, up to date mapping and accurate post code databases, I wouldn't use anything else :)

My Tomtom one V3 has been faultless so far.

Type in the postcode and it drives you to the door !!

Mapshare is a good addition and the speed cameras are pretty accurate too. If you happen to miss a turn then the route is automatically calculated very quickly, almost instantly in my experience.

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

]

I have had the Tom Tom recommended to me off friends who've used them for several yrs, when I eventually get one it will be a Tom Tom.