Sat Nav

Jeff S

used a tomtom(go one) the otherday, £129.99 version and it was great fun and acurate bar one or two occasions where it tried to get me to do a sharpe left into a big barn(at night too!!:)

its got two or more views (above or behind views)

it can reroute when you know a quicker route to your destination and it will remap and follow you etc.

very nice bit of kit and it was unfortunate i was borrowing it:(

id have to change the voice but the blokes ok

a female voice would have been good(probably got one though i didnt look)

female tomtom "hey baby take the next left"

hehe

Edited by billy50000

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have one of the original TomTom Go models and I doubt if I could be persuaded to switch to any other brand. The great thing about the original TomToms is that the voice (Jane) is so natural as to be almost spooky. The slimmer TomTom One is better than most in this respect, but can't match the bulkier versions for sound quality.

I have had occasional problems where I was directed down an almost impossible track, but I was driving a large motorhome and should have anticipated the problem. There was another time when I was heading for Hampton Loade fron the south, and it advised me to drive straight through the River Severn (I think there was a ferry there many years ago). You usually find that mapping errors like this will be shared by most other brands though. I once tested four different models by taking them on a deliberately tricky route and they all suggested the same route, which was considerably longer than it should have been.

I find that the only real problem you need to look out for is when they try to take you through the middle of a town instead of round it, which can happen whether you choose the shortest or fastest route at times.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

You're right that mapping errors are shared by most brands, as they all tend to use the same mapping services (Nav Tech and Tele Atlas) but TomTom tend to update maps more often than most.

You're right that mapping errors are shared by most brands, as they all tend to use the same mapping services (Nav Tech and Tele Atlas) but TomTom tend to update maps more often than most.

I saw one being demonstrated on TV, where mapping errors can be reported for investigation.

Interesting too how they intend to get better at allowing for traffic conditions.

(Many 'routes' have no sensors, so the speed limit is assumed, which can lead you into crawling through a town centre with roadworks - in the future units will be able to feed back speeds and the system adjusted accordingly - not yet though)

They should get all the wrinkles ironed out just in time for the petrol to run out!!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

That's the new TomTom one I think Leon, not quite upgraded to that one yet, but it won't be long. I'm a bit of a SatNav fiend, and currently have 3 systems running, TomTom is best 95% of the time.

Jeff,

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/TomTom-...l&hl=TomTom

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Before I bought mine, I went to the taxi ranks in the city and asked the taxi drivers what they were using. A great majority were using Tom Tom so I bought one and did over 5,000kms on one trip and it performed faultlessly. It even showed me when I was on a ferry!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Why have you ruled out TomTom?

They're pretty much the benchmark in satnav now, with good, up to date mapping and accurate post code databases, I wouldn't use anything else :)

There seems to be more complaints about the map updates and their customer service. But the consensus points to the TT. Any preferences for which version and can you get maps for traveling to the US with POIs? The software does automatic updates? Excellent!

Thanks for the link Elton. I may be sold on the TT.

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Maybe Tomtom just attracts whiny punters to their forums and reviews! I can only speak from personal experience, and I travel a lot, worldwide, TomTom has seldom let me down. US maps are widely available, with POIS and are as accurate as any you'll find, I've spent 3 months in 3 different areas of the US this year, and TomTom has saved the day many times.

When you say 'The software does automatic updates' well, no, not quite, but then no SatNav software does. But updated maps, POI and speed camera files for TomTom are widely available.

As for which version, I can't advise, I use mine on my PDA, using the latest version with the latest maps.

Maybe Tomtom just attracts whiny punters to their forums and reviews! I can only speak from personal experience, and I travel a lot, worldwide, TomTom has seldom let me down. US maps are widely available, with POIS and are as accurate as any you'll find, I've spent 3 months in 3 different areas of the US this year, and TomTom has saved the day many times.

When you say 'The software does automatic updates' well, no, not quite, but then no SatNav software does. But updated maps, POI and speed camera files for TomTom are widely available.

As for which version, I can't advise, I use mine on my PDA, using the latest version with the latest maps.

Thanks for that Jeeps I'll start looking for a deal. Merry Christmas everyone!

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...