For Those Astronomically Inclined...

Bobj

If you want to go flying through the nearby stars instead of just looking at them, check out a program called 'Celestia', you might be able to find it on the link I gave you before :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

G'day mate. I have a book called Skywatching, by David H. Levy, it gives all the constellations and some of the stars within the constellations. Well worth the money.

An excellent free software package is Carte du ciel.

http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/download.html

Excellent pic of 'The Plough', mate.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Nothing to do with astronomy, but this thread has got me wondering whether Australian astrologers have their own set of star signs?

An example

post-8845-1199133633_thumb.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

G'day mate. I have a book called Skywatching, by David H. Levy, it gives all the constellations and some of the stars within the constellations. Well worth the money.

An excellent free software package is Carte du ciel.

http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/download.html

Excellent pic of 'The Plough', mate.

Bobj will definately have a go at photographing and studying the stars this year. May upgrade to an SLR so the chance of better photos. Just wish I had got a shot of the milky way - well I assume thats was it was as it looked milky!!! :rolleyes:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Nothing to do with astronomy, but this thread has got me wondering whether Australian astrologers have their own set of star signs?

Astrologers (as opposed to astronomers) are interested only in the constellations of the zodiac as these are the ones that the sun, moon and planets appear to be in.

All the zodiacal constellations can be seen from Australia; it's only in high latitudes near the north and south poles (roughly in the arctic and antarctic circles) that some of these constellations remain permanently below the horizon. Different constellations are lost below the horizon in the arctic compared with the antarctic though.

However one interesting fact is that the constellations appear "upside down" in the southern hemisphere!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Astrologers (as opposed to astronomers) are interested only in the constellations of the zodiac as these are the ones that the sun, moon and planets appear to be in.

All the zodiacal constellations can be seen from Australia; it's only in high latitudes near the north and south poles (roughly in the arctic and antarctic circles) that some of these constellations remain permanently below the horizon. Different constellations are lost below the horizon in the arctic compared with the antarctic though.

However one interesting fact is that the constellations appear "upside down" in the southern hemisphere!

Spot on, mate. The zodiacal constellations are in the ecliptic, that is, the path followed by the sun....

One easy "sign" is Taurus, look for The Hyades, the head and Aldabaran (a reddish coloured star), the eye of the bull.

Very odd, but amateur astronomers want to 'see' the galaxies of the northern hemisphere, while those in the northern hem. want to 'see' the star clusters and nebulae of the south, such as 47 Tucanae, NGC5139( Omega Centauri) and Eta Carinae

Edited by Bobj

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Bobj :D As you probably know I have a static caravan over on the Mull of Galloway. There is minimal light pollutioin there and the stars are truly amazing at times.

This is a shot of the Plough that I took with my Canon digital back in September

Theplough.jpg

Had a squiz at Mizar on the internet (the double star) and here is some info....

http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/mizar.html

Incidentally, two of the Northern Hemisphere's better galaxies are in that photo, though not visible due to their distance and magnitude, M81 and M101. M51 is close to Alkaid, the first star in the "handle", but is actually in the next constellation, Canes Venatici, The Hunting Dogs.... Though a big telescope is needed to view these galaxies and, photo time exposures are needed to bring out the colour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursa_Major.

http://www.astrocruise.com/m51.htm

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Nice info Bobj,you are one clever hombre methinks :thumbs::sun:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy