Picture Of The Month .. Jan 08. Competition.

MrWiggly

Thanks lads .. I must admit that it's nice to finally get in a winner !! :D:D

Sometimes getting a good shot is a struggle Ollie. I have had that sea wall in mind ever since I saw it about two years ago ! It was just a question of waiting for the right conditions. The weather forecast was for a South-East gale coming in, which I figured would head right into the cove where the wall is. It was due to arrive in the evening, which meant that the light may just be "right" for about 30 minutes. Luckily, it was low tide,for if it had been high tide I would not have been able to get anywhere near it !!

I finished up hanging on to the end of the wall in a howling gale with one arm hooked over a railing, desperately trying to hang onto a rather expensive camera setup. Hung on for about 15 minutes until the light/clouds/waves started to get right, then banged in about 20 shots. Three minutes later I was running back inland in a hailstorm !! Picked my final one out of those 20 shots that I managed to grab..

If you want a good one you have to think, and work at it !! ;);)

----------------------------

Medwaygreen ... I agree with what you say reguarding picture sizes. You do sometimes need a good size to get a good "first impression". The pic sizes for the photoforum, including the Comp, were very carefully figured out so as to get the maximum possible size for good effect, within the limits of available screen size. Unfortunately, posters on other parts of AN have been posting up massive pics, which could not be seen in full unless you "scrolled" the screen sideways. Senior management have decided that the only way to cure this problem is to impose the "header bar" restriction on pic size, which impacts on pics that are formatted in landscape. This is a block setting across the whole of AN, which unfortunately also affects the photoforum. We have to learn to live with it I'm afraid ....

Wiggly. :rolleyes:

The Older I get .. The better I was.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As judge of the first comp with the size restriction!! It was a pain, but going over and over the pics., I did find it became less of an intrusion, although I still would prefer not to have it! My vote is a no! I did find the enlarged (correct size picture) picture on the white back ground did help in the final decision, with no visual intrusion?

So an alternative to 'make the best of a bad job' . . . :huh:

Can I put a suggestion in, as has been mentioned the larger size on some pics does carry more impact. As the 800pix picture is presented on a white full screen on my 17" flat monitor and we have to put up with the reduced preview with bar. Why cant we have a bigger picture. Say 10" on its longest side, I'm not going to get into the pix per inch, leave that up to you brains. But if we have to have the small to large system, 10" fits my 17" monitor from top to bottom accommodating portrait pics. . . . if you see what I mean. Bigger pics = more inpact! ?????? Sorry if this puts the cat amoungst the pigeons, but it does seem logical :headhurt:

The rather free style approach to my judging gave me a buzz as I viewed each photograph, still got my notes here, quite a few cross outs and insertions. I remember a camera club competition I entered back around 1996, when I lived in Hertfordshire, the guest judge, was very good, each picture was judged as a 'painting' with an anecdote for each, Hazel came 6th I seem to remember.

Sorry I did not put any technical stuff, 'I know what I know' which aint much, its certainly not enough to be technically critical off anothers work.

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Congrats Mr W - a worthy winner! Take a well earned rest, chap!!

Sounds like you need it, hanging onto a rail and soaking your kit to get that shot. Of course, less of a problem if you're a Nikon shooter. ;):lol:

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Great carpy pics mate :thumbs: Yes boss I am sure most really good shots are well planned out in advance. Oppertunist/lucky shots do happen though. Got a few "fog on the Tyne" shots today purely because I blundered into them !!!!

I have plans Mr Wiggley sir for future shots. Some of them are a year or so down the pipeline but I have got a picture of them in my head. If I told you what they were,sorry but I would have to kill you :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy