Continental Rods

I like my 16' Shakespear continental style rod all bar one thing.

Used it for the first time post op and must admit I found it very heavy towards the end of my five hour session.

I love this new solid carbon technology because it is ultra light, I can stand and hold my boat rods all day.

The Question :D Is there an ultra light 16' rod??? :D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I like my 16' Shakespear continental style rod all bar one thing.

Used it for the first time post op and must admit I found it very heavy towards the end of my five hour session.

I love this new solid carbon technology because it is ultra light, I can stand and hold my boat rods all day.

The Question :D Is there an ultra light 16' rod??? :D

:clap2: Possibly, tackle is being developed all the time, I've not seen one yet but if there isn't, there soon will be. :clap2:

:clap2: Possibly, tackle is being developed all the time, I've not seen one yet but if there isn't, there soon will be. :clap2:

I have had a good scoot around and the only s/c rods are the boat ones as far as I can see, unless some of the continental companies are making them.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

I'm not convinced about the weight of solid carbon rods - I think they just seem light because they're thin, and the maxximus ones are certainly not as powerful as traditional hollow rods of the same line class. Century Tip Tornadoes are low diameter, but the wall thickness of the blank has to be increased to compensate for the reduced diameter. Thin rods do reduce air resistance though, which makes them easier to hold in the wind.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I was given a solid carbon 6ft 20-50 a while back and hated it. Main problem was it was not long enough! Build quality is also not up to scratch....rings appear to be corroding at the foot which is a sure sign of too much hardener in the high build....which means the coatings are brittle and prone to cracking.

There is actually no 'new' technology in the solid carbon rods; I had been told by someone in the know that the blanks started life as heavy duty freshwater baitcasting blanks aimed at the Scandinavian market. Being a nosey so and so, I chopped the grips off mine to find that the blank is just over 4.5ft long and glued into a length of hollow fibreglass which carried the grips and reel seat. The blank is built up (quite crudely) with crosswrapped nylon cord to match the inside diameter of the fibreglass handle and glued in with epoxy.

Having seen this, Ken, I would not hold my breath for any longer versions aimed at shore anglers.

BTW, the 6ft solid carbon rod (before I chopped it up) is actually heavier than the 12lb NW carbon/kevlar rod I use for 80%+ of my boat fishing.

Edited by jabee

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Hi Jabee,

I have two s/c maxximus rods a 6' 5" 20 to 40 which I am guessing is what you are reffering to :D I had seen the area where the blank reduces as you travel up the rod but having paid good money for mine I have not as yet cut it up :lol: You comments on the rings is correct though I had my rod before our Alderney trip so it is over a couple of years and used on numerous occasions.

Would agree the rod length makes it difficult to use with long flowing bass traces so I have invested in an 8' 10 to 20 which on checking since your comments uses a solid blank a little over 5'.

I have found that the action is good having boated some good fish on the shorter version and now look forward to using the longer version if I ever manage to book a trip with good weather and we actually leave harbour :lol:

I love my K2 beach caster and the only problem is the weight now that I have been chopped about a bit :lol: So I have looked at the new versions K2 Red Metal Twin Tip Beach casters but I think the weight is about the same. Was just hoping that someone was producing something simular but with less weight.

PS. Extreemly sorry to see Pauls last post, I hope all goes well for him, as his right hand man please keep us up to date.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

Hey Ken

I built a Conoflex Nemesis SLR for my uncle a few months ago. Having concentrated solely on boat fishing for a good five years now, I was amazed at how light and slim the rod was, even when finished with guides, high build, shrink tube etc, when compared to the pairs of Greys Apollo Mk1s and Conoflex Ballistics I used to use regularly and still have.

Might be worth looking at something like a Conoflex Foo Fighter FF1 - it's 15ft long and a factory built one weighs less than 500g. Not cheap though at about £250 a go but I've never regretted spending money on decent rods.

Pretty sure Century are also now making 'continental' style rods which will be of comparable quality. Stear clear of Greys though.....not hearing much positive these days since they shifted production to the Far East.

Will pass on your best wishes to Paul. Spoke with him a couple of days ago...I'm sure we'll get him fishing again sometime in the future but won't be for a little while yet!

Edited by jabee

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Hey Ken

I built a Conoflex Nemesis SLR for my uncle a few months ago. Having concentrated solely on boat fishing for a good five years now, I was amazed at how light and slim the rod was, even when finished with guides, high build, shrink tube etc, when compared to the pairs of Greys Apollo Mk1s and Conoflex Ballistics I used to use regularly and still have.

Might be worth looking at something like a Conoflex Foo Fighter FF1 - it's 15ft long and a factory built one weighs less than 500g. Not cheap though at about £250 a go but I've never regretted spending money on decent rods.

Pretty sure Century are also now making 'continental' style rods which will be of comparable quality. Stear clear of Greys though.....not hearing much positive these days since they shifted production to the Far East.

Will pass on your best wishes to Paul. Spoke with him a couple of days ago...I'm sure we'll get him fishing again sometime in the future but won't be for a little while yet!

That info looks spot on to me, the K2 Red Metal Twin Tip Beach Caster 15' x 3 sections plus match tip in cloth bag RRP £340.00 £195.99 another £50 notes for what I really really want ain't that bad :lol::clap2::clap2:

eat.gif

Petals Florist

Ken

Get in touch with Stan Massey at Alba Rods and get him to quote for a custom build. He builds quite a few Conoflex rods. You get to choose your own colours etc and you may get a decent price as well.

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/rod_subs/beach_surf.htm

Cheers

John

Ken

Get in touch with Stan Massey at Alba Rods and get him to quote for a custom build. He builds quite a few Conoflex rods. You get to choose your own colours etc and you may get a decent price as well.

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/rod_subs/beach_surf.htm

Cheers

John

Thanks for that I have emailed for a quote

eat.gif

Petals Florist