.cda files!

Chris Goddard

Can anyone offer help please?? I am attempting to copy some CD's and they are being seen as .cda files which WINDOWS will not read. YET The files are it seems PRODUCED by windows itself!!

I have now downloaded a programme called Audiograbber but have no idea how to work it and cannot seem to find the required files. I have asked the forums but wondered if anyone else is able to help?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Chris

.cda files are not the actual music files, they are just sort of placeholders, or shortcuts, to the music files on a CD.

Therefore, the music files have to be "ripped" to your hard drive, (or you could just copy CD to CD).

Further info here: http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_wor...d_cda_files.htm

Cheers

Ian.

Thanks Ian!! I got that now, best bit of actual techie speak I understand on the subject! BUT Now having RIPPED them to my Hard drive?? (Think I have) How do I find the tracks and copy them? Any more along the same lines please??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I would like to copy to A. Another CD and B. An MP3 player I have which as they are language courses would anable me to I think get them ALL on one media and stop me having to swap media etc.

Sorry Ian but ask me to fit a Kitchen or fix a broken Boiler and I am OK. BUT this is WELL over my head!!

Chris Goddard

I would like to copy to A. Another CD and B. An MP3 player I have which as they are language courses would anable me to I think get them ALL on one media and stop me having to swap media etc.

Sorry Ian but ask me to fit a Kitchen or fix a broken Boiler and I am OK. BUT this is WELL over my head!!

Chris

OK. What (type of drives) are A and B? What CD/DVD writing software are you using?

I've not used Audiograbber, I use http://xtractor.sourceforge.net/ though I think they are of similar ilk.

What you do is:

Insert CD

Start "Ripping" program.

Select tracks to be "ripped" (copied), by inserting ticks in the relevant boxes next to each track.

Select format (MP3 or WAV) (MP3 for MP3 player, WAV for normal audio CD). For MP3, select the bitrate, Usually 192, but you can go as high as 320. The higher the better, but larger file sizes.

Select Destination drive. Your MP3 player should be seen as a removable storage device.

Click on "Rip tracks" or equivalent.

If you only want to copy the (one) CD, then just do a CD copy, it'll be fine.

Come and fit my kitchen and fix my boiler :)

Cheers

Ian.

Nae bother feller!! Star man Ian!

A and B drives are both DVD/CD writers (Panasonic I think?) Writing software, I simply use windows to copy and for DVD's I use Shrink. I used to use NERO, but it puts the mockas on my drives!! and they will NOT write with it installed. In fact sometimes the drives are not even recognised!!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

OK Chris

Shrink is a bit outdated now, because it's not being developed any further. (The originator now works for Nero Recode, I believe.)

A good alternative is http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

But that won't author music CD's.

If you want to copy a Music CD, then just copy it, CD to CD.

If you want to rip it to your hard drive, then specify what format, MP3 or WAV, bitrate, 128 to 192 should suffice; select the destination folder, and the files that you want. The option to do this is available in Windows Media Player.

MP3 files will not work in most domestic Hi-Fi systems, or car CD players; you will have to use WAV, which is what the .cda tags are pointing to. They (MP3's) usually do work in DVD players.

Any more help, Gi's a shout.

If you PM me your email address, I will send you "something", if your inbox can accept a file of 2.5Mb. If not, PM me your postal address (should you wish to).

Bliadhna mhath ur.

Cheers

Ian.

Edited by IanR

I am even as I type LISTENING to the tracks I was having some difficulties with on the MP3 player which has lived in a filing cabinet for the last 18 months!! And ALL of this thanks to a certain member of this forum! Step forward Mr Rae (Ian)!! :yeah::oops:

Chris Goddard