Day on the Arrow

bluerinse

My Brother and I took his new center pin for a days fishing on the Arrow Today, Armed with maggot and caster we were targeting Roach and Dace.

What a day, the river was perfect, colored and falling, we trotted at about 2 foot deep (this is not a deep river) and feed maggots and fished caster, we had a great days fishing, we traveled light and moved slowly along the river from Coughton to Alcester.

We caught loads of Dace up to 12 oz, Roach also up to 12oz and hundreds and I mean hundreds of chub from a few ounces to around 2 1/2 lb we also caught gudgeon by the bucket full and I caught a stone loach which is the first I have ever caught on rod and line (and trotting as well!!!)

The action was none stop a fish a cast, they must have been queuing up for our bait.

It was hard to get through to the better fish and it seemed that in each swim the bigger roach and dace arrived first, then the small fish (mainly chublettes and gudgeon) followed by bigger chub, when these slowed down or stopped it was time to move on.

I have had my pin for two years but my brother had not fished a pin before, I got him one for Christmas, he is a converted man. He loved the level of control and the fight on the pin.

All I can say is if you haven’t fished a pin, have a go.

By the way the stretch we fished is covered by Throckmorton angling club, about £35 for the year.

Happy New year to you all

bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

sounds like a terrific day, a 12oz dace is a cracking fish! the only place i used to catch them that size regular was the kennet. and another convert to the pin, the first time i used one i could never trot again on the stick with a fixed spool. as you say, if you have not, give it a go!.

Fishing, the only rule is that there is no rule!

Fantastic stuff, especially the dace!

Yes the dace were great, I can honestly say the Arrow is one of the few rivers with large dace, I put this down to the fact there are very few predators, I have only ever seen one pike, the odd Large perch and no Zander, The chub of cause will eat small fish but the river is stuffed with minnows and gudgeon for them to munch on. Also the angling pressure is very light in many parts of the river. The river is perfect for dace, on summers evening's you can watch them taking flies from the surface and cruising around the shallows, there are some big fish (for dace that is)

It has always had a good reputation as a dace fishing venue. Lower down from Alcester Barbel are now making an impact, these must have arrived from the Avon as the arrow feeds into the Avon, I guess its only a matter of time for the Zander to arrive and spoil the river, as much as I enjoy Zander fishing on the Avon lets hope they don't invade the Arrow.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Fantastic stuff, especially the dace!

Ditto - My biggest this season is 11oz - still plenty of time to improve on it though!

Great fishing - sounds like my kind of water!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog