disk check problem

chesters1

on boot up today i had a blue screen and no disk use light (not the usual cant find the boot bit) ,i fixed the problem with the fixboot utility in the windows disk then ran chkdsk on a second boot from the CD.

booted fine from HD after that but on running the disk checking facility in windows on rebooting and it starting i get a report :

Unable to read Usn journal $] Data stream (or words to that effect) it then abandons the rest of the error checking and boots into windows as normal

how do i get the poor thing to read that Data stream so i can fully check the disk?

ps if you run the disk check function within windows it goes through 2 sequences then up pops an error box with unable to complete disk check (or words to that effect)

pps can some kind person remind me of what i write into the run box on the start panel that persuades windows to check its files are ok? (not sfc)

another strange problem is system restore doesent work on the last two saves! goes through the motions but ends up saying its sorry but it cant ,no viruses nor bots nor nothing naughty found on disk!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

xp and ntfs ,everything seems fine but for the problems above

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

it just says "the type of file system is NTFS" !

and on rebooting it merely reboots?

Edited by chesters1

1. Click Start, and then Run.

2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

3. Use one of the following procedures: • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk and then press ENTER.

• To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk f Dont Forget About The Space Between chkdsk and f and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then type exit

restart your computer to start the disk check.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk r Dont Forget About The Space Between chkdsk and r and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then type exit

restart your computer to start the disk check.

good luck

regards pete

Edited by pumphypete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif