Salmon Found In River Aire

Elton

Just added a news release here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/river_aire_salmon.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I wonder if the angling rents are up to the levels of my clubs yet?

Good news regarding the aire though, I can't believe I moved all the way up here for salmon and now they're showing back on my home river.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Potentially very mixed news however I suspect it will be a number of years before these things have any real presence in the river

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

agreed though my hope would be that by tehe time they are common in the aire, they'll be so plentiful elsewhere that no-one will be prepared to pay silly prices for salmon fishing, thus keeping the superb chub fishing still open for you Alan.

that's the main problem with salmon, it now costs over £200 per year to fish the chubby areas of the river tyne, and salmon anglers are always coming through and knacking the swim, I'm sure you;'ll agree that chub are generally quite shy of shadows and thumps, something that many salmon anglers do far too much of.

how has the salmon fishing effected the ribble?

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

To be honest it hasn't had that much of an effect as the river can be to some extent regarded as a river of two parts.

Big Ribble is essentially the river from Clitheroe downstream and little Ribble is the river upstream of Clitheroe.

So it is with the clubs on the river those clubs that are either coarse or mixed coarse and game tend to have the waters on the big river whilst the totally game orientated clubs dominate the little river.

The other big factor is that the Ribble and Hodder systems are what are known as 'back end' rivers i.e. there are very few salmon in the system until very much later in the year. The end of august is when most of us begin to think about salmon.

From here on in the weather is a major factor and we need the rain and goodly quantities of it!! Some years like this year, have been good for the salmon but when the rains don't come in time then salmon fishing is a waste of time.

Finally the season finishes at the end of November.

Because of the above the opportunities for clashes between chub anglers and salmon anglers are very limited so we tend to live in harmony for the bulk of the time.

Theres only really a couple of months i.e. September and October when there is any potential for conflict and to be honest most of the coarse lads let the salmon men fish through certainly on the waters that I fish.

The good thing for me is that as a member of one of the top game angling clubs we allow fishing for the chub and grayling during the winter which gives me some fab fishing on waters where the fish don't get hammered and are as a result in pristine condition

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I suspect that that will never be the case on my waters, though to be fair, the quality of coarse fishing is poor.

Most of the fish at my end are "back end" though we do get a spring run and there are fish throughout the season.

One of our main landlord's has banned the use of any baits, fly and spinner only now. This will cause some people problems though it will stop some annoying individuals who arrive at 4am in october and wont let others fish through, despite that being in the rules. With the miles of bank we have, you have to be on top of people to stop this, which is tricky if you also want to fish.

there isn't an easy answer but i was hopeful that i'd be allowed to fish for the rare chub and and almost as rare pike in winter, but that's quite a thankless task on the fly or spinner in the depths of winter, when bait tends to work best.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

I know that it's a bit of a drive for you but your always welcome over here...

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan