FISHING ON THE SEVERN IN SHREWSBURY

Houghton

I've just booked a short holiday over the Easter weekend in Oswestry hoping to do some fishing in that area or roundabouts.

Whats the River Severn like in this area and is it worth fishing? Are there any good, cheap day ticket stretches in the area?

I don't mind doing a bit of traveling to the lower Severn stretches or to the Wye.

Any decent stillwaters would be nice to hear of too but I really do want to catch my first Barbel.

Thanks in advance

I've just booked a short holiday over the Easter weekend in Oswestry hoping to do some fishing in that area or roundabouts.

Whats the River Severn like in this area and is it worth fishing? Are there any good, cheap day ticket stretches in the area?

I don't mind doing a bit of traveling to the lower Severn stretches or to the Wye.

Any decent stillwaters would be nice to hear of too but I really do want to catch my first Barbel.

Thanks in advance

Theres some good stretches in Shrewsbury see the tackle shop in the town he will put you right and supply the day tickets.

A wise man learns by a fools mistakes, a fool by his own

theres some good grayling/trout water on the severn in the welshpool area. theres a day ticket strech actually in welshpool £3 a day and theres a direct bus there from oswestry if you need it.

If youve got a car you could drive up to the dee which is very good for grayling aswel. also i fish the river alyn, a tributary of the dee, and caught nice grayling there over the pound mark and witnessed big salmon

so some great grayling water then!

Isn`t it Close Season by the time Easter comes round? Thought it was the 21st to 24rd March this year.........

Yes it is - DOH!

In that case are there any decent stillwaters in the area including commercials that offer good fishing? I am only there for the weekend so a productive venue is a must.

Yes it is - DOH!

In that case are there any decent stillwaters in the area including commercials that offer good fishing? I am only there for the weekend so a productive venue is a must.

The canal at Newport used to be very good (not fished around there for several years though so don't know if it's still as good), it's disused so no boats, and holds a good head of tench along with some decent carp and plenty of roach, rudd, crucians and perch. It's controlled by Telford Anglers, day tickets from local tackle shops (can't remember if you can also pay on the bank). Typical match weights were 30lb/5hour, usually including at least a couple of good tench.

HTH

Will

• 2 weeks later...

There is also a commercial at LEA CROSS between Hanwood and Pontesbury called Spring Lea where you are almost certain to catch along with all the others that are there. Closer to Oswestry are 2 lakes at Turfmoor Between Pentre and Kinnerly which I have only been once last October and blanked but a much quieter pleasant experience and will be going again this year.

There is also a commercial at LEA CROSS between Hanwood and Pontesbury called Spring Lea where you are almost certain to catch along with all the others that are there. Closer to Oswestry are 2 lakes at Turfmoor Between Pentre and Kinnerly which I have only been once last October and blanked but a much quieter pleasant experience and will be going again this year.

Thanks Tangled, do you know if the Montgomery Canal is nay good?