Twin tip rods - pros & cons

Jim Murray

Am having a think about investing in a pair of quality quivertip rods at the moment. Almost as an afterthought it strikes me that I could really do with a pair of Avon style rods for bobbin legering for mullet/tench/bream etc. and also float fishing.

Had always steered clear of twin tips in the past; as I normally carry a pair of rods made up in the quiver there didn't seem much point in buying just one. However now I'm beginning to think a little differently :D

Are there any drawbacks to such rods? If not, which should I be looking at? Would be looking at 12 or 13 footers around 1.25lb. t.c.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used twin tip rods quite a bit, the only real drawback I've found is that you have to completely break down and set up again if you want to swap from ledgering to float or back again.

As you ay with two seperate rods you can have both made up at the same time and quickly switch from one to the other as you want through the day.

One the plus side, a twin tip plus a reel with two spools is a much cheaper way have having two different options at the bank than buying two rods and two reels!

Mat

Mat

Or buy a pair of twin tips and cover alll of the options.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

i am thinking of investing in the Shakespeare Mach 2 Barbel Rod it can be used as a quiver tip or avon style, i am hoping to use it for big bream carp and tench, aswell as chub barbel and trout

the majority of all my fishing so far as been done on the float in lakes, but its about time i tried some other methods

What about the Greys Prodigy rods?.

The Greys Prodigy Barbel rods are 12', come with a standard top and a quivertip top with 3 long quivers (2, 3 & 4 oz).

They are superb rods for Tench, Crucians, Bream, Chub, Carp and Barbel and come in 1.5lb tc 1.75lb tc or 2lb tc.

Greys Prodigy Rods

They are a dream to use and have loads of power in the lower section together with sensitive tips.

I have even cast 6oz with no problem (with PVA bag full of particles).

“It really is an amazing rod that oozes quality and power... it casts like a dream.”

(Improve Your Coarse Fishing)

BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

What about the Greys Prodigy rods?.

The Greys Prodigy Barbel rods are 12', come with a standard top and a quivertip top with 3 long quivers (2, 3 & 4 oz).

They are superb rods for Tench, Crucians, Bream, Chub, Carp and Barbel and come in 1.5lb tc 1.75lb tc or 2lb tc.

Greys Prodigy Rods

They are a dream to use and have loads of power in the lower section together with sensitive tips.

I have even cast 6oz with no problem (with PVA bag full of particles).

BB

i know you only get what you pay for and all that ,but i am afraid there just a bit pricey for me, my girlfriend would have a fit if i spent that much on a rod at the moment :(

Perhaps a little on the heavy side for what you want, but if you're on a budget, the Wychwood rods are great value for money:http://www.crazycarp.com/ProductDetails/mc...2/categoryID/34I've got the 1.5lb single tip barbel rod and I use it for well over half of all my fishing - it's sensitive enough to detect quite shy bites on the tip, but has a nice through action for playing fish. I've had barbel to 8.5lb and carp to 14lb on it and it's handled them with no problems at all.Whoops! I just spotted the small print:"This product is not available as we have sold out and Wychwood have discontinued it."Plenty of other sources for Wychwood rods, though - try Climax Tackle.

I use a Fox Avon Duo, one of the best rods i've ever bought. It's incredibly versatile, i've used it for trotting rivers to feeder fishing for carp to double figures from commercials. I like that it comes with 4 tips for the feeder, and that it's got a full cork handle (i hate duplon..)

It's maybe a bit light if you wanted something about 1.25lb tc (It's 1lb tc) but it's got plenty backbone to deal with bigger fish.

I think the rod might be discontinued now, but i'm pretty sure there is a new one identical to it in the range.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

I use a Fox Avon Duo, one of the best rods i've ever bought. It's incredibly versatile, i've used it for trotting rivers to feeder fishing for carp to double figures from commercials. I like that it comes with 4 tips for the feeder, and that it's got a full cork handle (i hate duplon..)

It's maybe a bit light if you wanted something about 1.25lb tc (It's 1lb tc) but it's got plenty backbone to deal with bigger fish.

I think the rod might be discontinued now, but i'm pretty sure there is a new one identical to it in the range.

Paul.

You're a man after my own heart - my duplon days are long gone; cork it has to be, so the Greys rod is not an option.

Will take a look at the Fox Avon, although as you say the t.c. is a little low. The other one I was thinking of was the Korum Neoteric, but I think it is also around 1lb. Wanted something a little beefier for the mullet and tench, etc.

Does anyone know if Drennan offer a twin-tip?