Pub landlord gives 2 fingers to the smoking ban

mr motorola

Do you agree with the new ban?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Smoking or Non-smoking? If the pubs / clubs and bingo hall managers had the choice of Smoking or Non-Smoking for their estasblishment , what would the majority vote be?

• Smoking allowed
    • No Smoking allowed

I've noticed no change at all in the pubs I frequent, other than more people going outside; they're all just as busy as they ever were. On the plus side it is a much nicer environment and I go home smelling like I went in.

I do however dislike the governments 'ban everything' culture. I was happy to decide for myself where to go and choose smoke free restaurants etc.

Rob.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am a non-smoker of over 10 years, but Brenda smokes (with the MS doctor's blessing) for pain relief.

We eat out at the pub on a Sunday, and have been hearing how sales of meals went up dramatically.

As soon as Winter hit - Catastrophe! - The non-smokers have TIRED of their "VICTORY" and have stopped going to the pub.

Why did the government lie to get the bill through? There were supposed to be smoking AND no- smoking pubs (the pubs that did not sell food would still be a "smoking" pub.

The landlord of the pub I use, which consisted of two big areas joined together, was prepared to have the separating wall re-instated!

Surely it is now time to have this law amended to allow smoking where there is no eating.

Other areas that have been hard hit are hotels, restaurants and truckers cafes and believe it or not High Street shops! (I've just lit up - I'll give that shop a miss!)

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Sorry I haven't read all the rants by those in favour of smoking/poisoning/giving cancer/generally making life dirty and unpleasant for the majority of the rest of the population. Where I live, a few miles out in the sticks, pubs have been closing steadily for about 10 years. Even in SE London they have been closing for years, my younger brother went bankrupt when his pub in South Norwood had to close. Close by, some of the bigggest old pub/hotels also want under.

So it has nothing to do with smoking.

My local (the only one left for miles) seems to only be interested in selling food and wine. "Old Len" a customer of 50 years (non smoker) complains bitterly about the change in the atmosphere..they seem to almost ignore him, despite the fact he has spent thousands and thousands over the years.

He will stick with them, he has no choice (no car, no evening bus) The meals are expensive, Hazel says she would be ashamed to serve any of it, we eat out about once a month and will not go there. They actually closed on Boxing day and New Years day, probably didn't think there would be enough custom..(no public transport)

Anyway, back to the smoking ban....no one smokes in my house, but when son David came to stay, he kept having a "crafty one" in his bedroom. He stayed a few days, and when he left we (Hazel) had to wash all the curtains, shampoo the carpet, and clean the brown scum off the windows.

Filthy habit......................and yes I am an ex smoker, gave up 27 years ago, and would probably be dead now if I hadn't.

Jeeps, sorry about your Dad mate, but that was exactly my point about me still being alive and relatively healthy. I know quite a few "old boys" in their 70's and a couple in their 80's, and I fully expect to get to my 80's. Had I continued to smoke, then I would probably have missed out on quite a few very happy and contented years.

To you smokers, is it worth the risk? do you really want to end your life prematurely? Coughing and wheezing? having major surgery and therapy? Don't get me wrong, I know the pleasure of a good tobacco, I loved my Balkan Sobranie pipe smoke, but when, at 40 years old, I found I couldn't keep up with my wife and kids, I decided enough was enough.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I enjoy the odd smoke but have always respected others rights to not inhale my smoke. Besides the stench that was my clothes after a Sky fotty match at my local a few years back was enough for me to stop going and get my own Sky. That and the shell suited so called Manure United fans who dont even know where Manchester is.

The ban on smoking in clubs and the like was brought in to protect the staff at such pllaces, fair enough really, why should non smokers have their health put at risk.

I have three sons who are serious party animals clubs and the like in the Cheltenham area, and they do smoke, especially on a night out. They were horrified pre ban with the thought of not being able to smoke in the clubs and pubs. BUT they all say its much better now, better atmosphere and the smokers outside have found a new band of brothers and sisters who can actually talk instead of SHOUTING or lip reading to each other. So you see every cloud.....

KLEINBOET Good post but what shops and stores would you not enter because you have just lit up? Come to think of it what stores can you enter with a fag on?

Answer none I think.

Overall then a good law, just needs some bedding in ...progress lads progress.

If pubs are closing it is because they are bad pubs and can't keep their beer - simple as that.

I've got a lot of sympathy with that view. Where I live, there's no shortage of pubs. But I never visit any of them (and didn't before the smoking ban), simply because they're (to my mind) bad pubs. The beer they sell is bland and tasteless at best. I do make the effort when I can to go to a pub about 3 miles away that sells beer from (mainly) local microbreweries. The landlord and his wife both really know their stuff, and nobody ever gets a bad pint. This pub brought in a smoking ban about a year before they had to. It made not the slightest difference to their profits. The only food they do (apart from nuts and crisps) is ham, beef or cheese baps (weekends only!). And the customers are from all age groups, both genders, and most of them aren't CAMRA members. ;)

Some people rant on about the smokers subsidizing other people with the duty they pay on smokes.

How can we, as a country, be better off for importing large quantities of tobacco and setting fire to it?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

The ban on smoking in clubs and the like was brought in to protect the staff at such pllaces

It really, really wasn't, you know. It was brought in to make being a smoker more inconvenient with the intention of badgering people into quitting. The passive smoking angle was a convenient lie to get the public to accept "doing the right thing", just like the convenient lie of WMDs, just like the plethora of convenient lies for "why we really need identity cards".

The medical establishment was fairly open about this. The BMA has always been clear that it supports legislation to restrict the freedom to smoke because it wishes to "de-normalise" smoking.

It really, really wasn't, you know. It was brought in to make being a smoker more inconvenient with the intention of badgering people into quitting.

OK, to put it another way: "The ban was brought in to prevent staff in bars and clubs expensively suing the management for any ill health perceived rightly or wrongly to have been caused by working in a smoke-filled environment".

OK, to put it another way: "The ban was brought in to prevent staff in bars and clubs expensively suing the management for any ill health perceived rightly or wrongly to have been caused by working in a smoke-filled environment".

Nah, people work safely and legally with much more noxious compounds than tobacco smoke. It would have been perfectly possible to engineer a safe working environment for staff. A stringent set of air quality and ventilation standards and working practices would have been sufficient to protect staff.

Nah, people work safely and legally with much more noxious compounds than tobacco smoke. It would have been perfectly possible to engineer a safe working environment for staff. A stringent set of air quality and ventilation standards and working practices would have been sufficient to protect staff.

That's as maybe but it is an employers responsibility to reduce any such risks to individuals and prevention is the first line of defence (under HSE rulings). Staff could easily sue, just the same as employees in any other 'harmful' environment can.

Rob.