Hotmail & "Whats App" spam emails

ayjay

I have Hotmail email address, it's fairly easy to deal with spam on there and I don't actually get very much anyway.

Recently I've been getting spam emails from "Whats App Service" (not something I've ever used) which my message filters don't seem to be able to deal with.

With one off spam mails I just block the sender, but these all come from different senders and so I set up message rules to deal with all the various permutations of sender and subject (always very similar), but the damned things are still getting through despite matching the parameters on my message rules.

It's not a huge problem, only one email per day usually, but it's frustrating that the filters won't deal with it.

What am I doing wrong, or what else can I do to stop these emails?

what do the from email addresses look like. is there something in it thats permanently there like somethingrandom@random.whatsapp.com

looking for the filter that says "contains or ends with" and use whatsapp.com

Sorry Andy, my info was a bit misleading, the emails aren't actually coming from Whats App, only purporting to.

Senders actual email addys are always different but it always says from Whats App.

I see. is the subject similar from email to email. could do a "contains" filter on that or even the message body ?

The subject is always very similar, always contains - voice message or voice mail and reminder or new (sometimes no space between voice and message etc) - I've set up filters for all of those but the darned things are still coming through.

You need to take a look at the full email header (the code behind the part you see displayed). Not sure about how hotmail does it but find some way to "view source" or "view header". Once you have that open, highlight all the contents then ctrl-c to copy and paste it into a text editor (not a word processor).

What you see as the contents piece may well be different than what you see when you open the email normally and you should be able to use some of that to build a filter that will work.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You need to take a look at the full email header (the code behind the part you see displayed). Not sure about how hotmail does it but find some way to "view source" or "view header". Once you have that open, highlight all the contents then ctrl-c to copy and paste it into a text editor (not a word processor).

What you see as the contents piece may well be different than what you see when you open the email normally and you should be able to use some of that to build a filter that will work.

Thanks Newt, I've found a "view source" thingummyjig - but not had another Whats App email for a couple of days now!

Bloody Spammers are just so unreliable these days. :rolleyes:

Thanks Newt, I've found a "view source" thingummyjig - but not had another Whats App email for a couple of days now!

Bloody Spammers are just so unreliable these days. :rolleyes:

I spoke too soon: another one arrived this evening.

I've set up a couple more filters: we'll see how it goes.