Loss of a Pet - RIP my little guy

Guest Jan V

Thanks everyone. Den, I told Pockets that the "Cadbury chocolate man with the funny accent" was thinking of him and knew how special he was. My mind knows that he is at peace and his aches and pains are finally over. It's my heart that is breaking. I know they will synch up eventually but it's darn difficult. Pockets was a big part of my life long before Newt and I got together but the little fur ball grew on Newt very quickly. We both did the most unselfish thing an owner can do and some day that may be a consolation to me - but not yet.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a hard one to call Jan, and even harder to judge, which. you might find most unwilling to do. When I knew my old mate Flint had had enough A few weeks ago I picked up the phone to make that call but he was gone before the answerphone message finished. So am I better than you both, I don't think so.

What is the line.... "It is far better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...."

Sometimes, in the early days that line has no semblance. As time goes by you will realise it is correct and true.

I remember you quoting the "Rainbow Bridge" to many, including me, so I will not send it back, but I will join you both in a few tears to the loss of a dear friend.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

That's a hard one to call Jan, and even harder to judge, which. you might find most unwilling to do. When I knew my old mate Flint had had enough A few weeks ago I picked up the phone to make that call but he was gone before the answerphone message finished. So am I better than you both, I don't think so.

What is the line.... "It is far better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...."

Sometimes, in the early days that line has no semblance. As time goes by you will realise it is correct and true.

I remember you quoting the "Rainbow Bridge" to many, including me, so I will not send it back, but I will join you both in a few tears to the loss of a dear friend.

thanks, well appreciated. I buried him in his Brett Favre (NFL Packers quarterback) jersey and the Packers played their hearts out today. What a nice win to help me forget my pain - if only for a few moments.

Someday it has to be done, but making that last visit to the vet is always the most painful. I really feel for you Jan, Pockets obviously meant a lot to you, be thankful though that you have lots of wonderful memories of him. In time the pain will ease, but it will never entirely go away. Sometimes, when you least expect it, someone will say something or you'll read a thread like this one, and you'll remember him clearly in your mind and the tears will start again :(

Raising a glass to the memory of Pockets now....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Sorry to hear of your loss too Jan. I say that because I've a feeling our 17 year old Cat took himself off somewhere to die last night. He'd not been too well for a few weeks now, loosing the odd claw and generally shutting down. We took him to the vets to see what might need to be done but she said it was worth trying a Steroid shot to see if he improves. He did for a while but was feeling very sorry for himself last night. I saw him go out of the Cat Flap early evening after refusing his food and haven't seen him since. :(

Paul, I'm just really reading responses, now, even though my tears continue at a rapid rate. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. At least I had the honor of holding Pockets and being the last person on Earth he felt as he slid into his long sleep. He is buried out back the house and I go visit him for a few moments each day. So many things remind me of him and I anxiously await the day where the joy of his many years with me outweigh the heavy load I feel at this time.

Thanks to my loving Newt for doing his best to make this easier for me. :hug:

Edited by Jan V

Paul, I'm just really reading responses, now, even though my tears continue at a rapid rate. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. At least I had the honor of holding Pockets and being the last person on Earth he felt as he slid into his long sleep. He is buried out back the house and I go visit him for a few moments each day. So many things remind me of him and I anxiously await the day where the joy of his many years with me outweigh the heavy load I feel at this time.

Thanks to my loving Newt for doing his best to make this easier for me. :hug:

Thanks Jan, it's appreciated.

Paul

Sorry to hear about your cat, Paul. Is there any further news?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Jan, I hope that you're feeling a little less sad. I'm sure Newt will be taking good care of you.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net