Do I need a rod licence....?

The Flying Tench

If I had my own pond and wasn't going to fish anywhere else (unless it was Scotland :) ) I wouldn't buy a rod licence. The EA can't come onto your property to check anyhow so feck-em, the scroungin' money grabbin' scum lol.

Being serious, to even try and make you buy a rod licence to fish in your own pond is ridiculous.

As a fair few people have found out, the EA can come onto your private land and they do prosecute if you haven't got a license even if it's your own pond. As for land bounded by the sea then the requirement for a license still applies.

As a fair few people have found out, the EA can come onto your private land and they do prosecute if you haven't got a license even if it's your own pond. As for land bounded by the sea then the requirement for a license still applies.

You seem to know more than the EA officers then Mark, . I attend meetings with them several times a year and that contradicts what they've told me.

So does the little fellow with a red hat sitting on the wall of my pond need a licence, or shall I remove his rod :yahoo:

• Like 1

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Apart from Scotland, in the UK you need a rod licence to fish for coarse fish or migratory fish using a rod and line (other methods are illegal!).

The legislation and associated EA byelaws applies out to 6 miles! (Who said you don't need a licence to fish in the sea, it all depends upon what you are fishing for not where you are fishing! ( http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Do_I_Need_A_Licence.html )

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

terry t shirt, on 07 Dec 2015 - 19:41, said:

Theoretically we could all start using hand lines and never need to buy a license again.

That would class as use of an illegal instrument in inland waters I believe (can't be fussed to go check the exact terminology).

• 2 weeks later...

The rod licence allows you to use a rod, without the licence, technically, you would be breaking the law if you use a fishing rod for anything, you don't even have to have a hook on the end, just plumbing the depth counts as using it.

So if I was 'fishing' with two rods and used another one for spodding or to cast a marker float, I'd need two licences?

So if I was 'fishing' with two rods and used another one for spodding or to cast a marker float, I'd need two licences?

If you run in to the little Hitler that I met, then probably yes.

It was close season, (but not on this gravel pit), I had only a notebook and pencil with me (apart from the rod and reel) as I was plumbing around for future reference.

It must have been obvious to anyone that I wasn't actually fishing but this little twerp insisted that he see my rod licence. I was only wearing shorts and a T shirt, my licence lives in my fishing jacket. Hitler was completely unmoved by my showing him the lack of a hook, or any other tackle or bait available.

Fortunately my mate had his licence with him inside his permit book - that was enough for Hitler, a licence for the rod being used and he was happy. He'll never know how close he came to being launched.