Live-baiting is cruel and barbaric

tiddlertamer

I can see no excuse for live-baiting. It is a cruel and barbaric practice.

I note it is still being widely used though and the angling papers record catches from live-baiting every week.

The recent record perch hauled out of the Thames was caught by live-baiting.

There are many other ways of catching predators without inflicting cruelty on other fish. Do we really need to impale roach or dace on a hook before sending it to flail around before being devoured.

Perhaps the British Records Fish committee should cease to record such catches?

I, as do most anglers I'm sure, make every effort to care for the fish we catch.

Surely, live baiting is just ammunition for the antis.

Now I am a angling beginner but there are others who have fished for decades who agree.

According to fishing legend Fred J Taylor, who has just been awarded an MBE in the most recent honours list, and who was interviewed in this week's Angling Times: “I'd like to be remembered as the man who developed deadbaiting to such an extent that most anglers now use deads as opposed to live-baits – and someone who saved countless thousands of small fish from being stuck on a hook and dangled in front of a pike.”

John Aston, in his excellent book 'A Dream of Jewelled Fishes', said: “I do find it curious – no ludicrous – that the people who encourage me to look after my pike as if it were a premature baby are the same ones who continue to support the barbarity of live-baiting. Tell me this – why is the life of a roach, dace or bream somehow inferior to a pike's? How does the live-baiter reconcile his respect for the quarry with his contempt for the bait fish? In an environment where unhooking mats are de rigueur, how can it be right to stick a treble hook into a roach's back and, as for the practice of releasing unused live baits into waters in which they are not even found naturally... I could find the words, I could write a paragraph of coruscating criticism but should I really need to?

Now many use Anglers Net for fishing advice on where to fish and what tackle to use. Rightly so.

But let's not shirk some of the wider issues about angling.

Lets hope we can have a sensible debate though. Some may see my comments as lighting a blue touch paper before retiring. I certainly don't intend to hide though I''m sanguine about the prospect of digging a foxhole in response to a hostile barrage of incoming replies. Then again, perhaps many others on this forum agree with my views? Let me know.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should sell your rods (I'm presuming you are an angler and not some nutter) and become a vegan hermit, with that attitude.

Are these deadbaits you refer to individually and humanely euthanized? As far as I'm aware they don't die a peaceful death, quietly slipping away in the company of all their piscatorial family and friends by the side of the fish box.

Were the raw ingrediants of trout / halibut pellets given the same treatment.

How about that bacon butty your eating? I don't think the pigs give a monkeys if the sandeels in their feed, flailed in the fish hold for some considerable time or not. Likewise, nor do Bass, Pollock, Tope, Turbot, Brill etc etc etc..

I, as do most anglers I'm sure, make every effort to care for the fish we catch.

Surely, live baiting is just ammunition for the antis.

The real ammunition is characters like you typing some airy fairy half truth about the issue.

LOL - it must be the weather you folks are having.

This topic seems to appear about this time every year and is hotly debated without a single opinion being changed.

It will be conducted in a somewhat civilized fashion even though you started with the usual dogmatic demands that are common to most who post this. The fuzzy and somewhat flawed logic in your arguments is typical as well.

You should not need a foxhole or body armor although you should be prepared to take some amount of heat.

To clarify a little up front - are you saying that all anglers in all countries should stop live baiting or are you only speaking to UK anglers?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It will be conducted in a somewhat civilized fashion even though you started with the usual dogmatic demands that are common to most who post this. The fuzzy and somewhat flawed logic in your arguments is typical as well.

I have no dogmatic demands. I am calling for no action other that each individual examines the issue for him/her self.

As to the 'fuzzy and somwhat flawed arguments' I would note that I have quoted anglers who have both the angling skills but also the literary skills and intelligence to get published.

Not something coming your way very fast...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

It is a very reasonable subject to debate...but you will see already that you will not be allowed to debate this in a way that will give you a fair hearing. The comments such that you should not be an angler to hold such views is a start, the other comments regarding your mental health and manhood will bound to follow too.

I wish you luck!!

LOL - it must be the weather you folks are having.

This topic seems to appear about this time every year and is hotly debated without a single opinion being changed.

You should not need a foxhole or body armor although you should be prepared to take some amount of heat.

To clarify a little up front - are you saying that all anglers in all countries should stop live baiting or are you only speaking to UK anglers?

Fuzzy logic is 'de rigeur' over here Newt. Most folks are not taught critical thinking at school. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

This thread is like lighting the touchpaper lol

If your going to ban livebaiting then what about live maggots, worms, shellfish etc....then what next?

TBH I do livebait sometimes but being a responsible/thoughtful angler will not do it in areas of river etc wher the general public can see what I am doing or break club rules to do so.

If you read a lot of Pike books written by serious predator anglers they will give a good, well balanced view on live baiting that does point out the respect towards other species i.e not to use specimen size roach as bait!

It is a very reasonable subject to debate...but you will see already that you will not be allowed to debate this in a way that will give you a fair hearing. The comments such that you should not be an angler to hold such views is a start, the other comments regarding your mental health and manhood will bound to follow too.

I wish you luck!!

So you don't feel that it's a reasonable view that someone who has a problem with sticking hooks into a live fish just maybe in the wrong sport ??

Mat

Mat