Live-baiting is cruel and barbaric

tiddlertamer

So you don't feel that it's a reasonable view that someone who has a problem with sticking hooks into a live fish just maybe in the wrong sport ??

Mat

'

Thats the third similar analogy on this thread, and a very poor one too,

May I refer you to the response I made to Newt and Kleinboet....

Wrong sport, who me? Or just everyone else who prefers not live bait, Dont be silly I have been fishing for over 50 years so I think I am entitled to comment on the sport I love,

if thats OK with you.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems strange the ones arguing against livebaiting havn't really done much research as they are talking about small fish, on th big rivers in france and spain when after catties they rig up carp and tench!!

by the way i am no predator angler however those who do i have no problem with them sticking fish on the end of a hook as i dont when hooking big lobies or slugs? and they probably react more to pain of being hooked than a fish as far as my experience goes!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

Whatever happened to if you dont like/agree with it dont do it,I often take people out in the boat pike fishing the Thames and always take some deadbaits/lure rod as i like them to be able to make up there own mind as to which method to use rather than thrust a livebait rod into there hand.

Once when taking a couple of young lads from my village to a local Thames weir pool we were fishing in the corner of the pool by a pub car park when i had a small jack just as a large group left the pub,They all stood by the side of the weir pool as i brought the pike on board and it is always a bit of an ego boost when you catch a pike with a audience from the pub [esp when many of them are very attractive young ladies] anyway put the jack back to a little cheer from the group and swapped a bit of banter with them.

Everything was going along great right up to the point that i put a live roach back on when one of the girls in said group turned into a screaming banshee screaming at the top of her voice her obvious opposition to what i had just done.

Here we go i thought the whole group will turn on me now[they had all had a few] when the float that i had just droped back in shot off and i struck into what was obviously a decent fish which went airbourne several times in quick succession and although she[the banshee]was still screaming at me her mates were by now more interested in the fish that was doing battle with me in there full view.

To cut a long story short the fish went just over 15lb which to people who dont fish looks like a monster ,We pulled the boat over to the edge of the wall and i showed the by now even larger group of people the Pikes mouth and dentistry and being a thames fish it was very well marked green and gold example.

The banshee by this point had gone from screaming to a mumbling in the background as her mates had told her to [and i quote] shut up and get a life.

Now if that fish had not come along when it did it could all of been a bit different with a number of people who were not anglers going away thinking livebaiting was the work of the devil but because i took a while to show people the fish and explain they might not have thought well i must have a go at that now at least they went away with an open mind on the subject.

I now try to be more tactfull of when i put livebaits on ie not in full view of the public just to avoid hassle coz we go to get away from that dont we?.

Seldom livebait on lakes Why? the lives are harder to track down and catch in my opinion so i fish with deads and catch pike but how many more if i made the effort to catch lives?.

As i said at the start whats wrong with not doing it if you dont like it and leaving those that do to ,Freedom of choice that is what we fought 2 world wars for i thought ? steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I've examined the issue for myself. Livebaiting's okay by me. Thanks for asking.

I examined the issue for myself years ago and nothing's changed. It's still okay by me, too.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Rabbit, I really don't know what planet you are on!! Kill or be killed is, and always will be the law of animal life.

Yes, we stick hooks into fish (and for Rabbit's sake, if we catch them - return them to the water) which is by TT's standard, Barbaric.

I cannot see how sticking a hook in a fish is barbaric, how many people does TT know that have body piercings? We put a hook through a little fish and put it back in the water, if it is taken by a larger predator fish, and that Predator fish is returned to the water, as far as I am concerned nothing out of the ordinary has happened. The predator fish will still kill and eat a smaller fish, whether it has a hook attached or not. If it wasn't the little fish with the hook in it, it would be another one!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Rabbit, I really don't know what planet you are on!! Kill or be killed is, and always will be the law of animal life.

Yes, we stick hooks into fish (and for Rabbit's sake, if we catch them - return them to the water) which is by TT's standard, Barbaric.

I cannot see how sticking a hook in a fish is barbaric, how many people does TT know that have body piercings? We put a hook through a little fish and put it back in the water, if it is taken by a larger predator fish, and that Predator fish is returned to the water, as far as I am concerned nothing out of the ordinary has happened. The predator fish will still kill and eat a smaller fish, whether it has a hook attached or not. If it wasn't the little fish with the hook in it, it would be another one!!

well said kleinboet :clap2:

Fishing, the only rule is that there is no rule!

Fair comment from the original poster. Especially the comparison between the bait fish and the caught pike.

Personally, although I do sometimes livebait, I don't feel entirely comfortable about it. However, the reward of catching a nice perch or pike soon eradicates those feelings. I ain't no saint.

Everyone to thier own, I think keepnets are barbaric but like I said everyone to thier own!, I like the CA but everyone to thier own :)

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Just a question, does this debate often rage in the sea angling forum? Do they have qualms about using live sandeels to catch bass etc?

Best bit of sport fishing for me is on the drift with a live sandeel for the bass. Even better is to use a live mackeral drifting over a wreck for a big bass. You don't know what your missing if you have never tried it. We also live bait with lugworm and ragworm, they don't half wriggle when they are hooked. B)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

i sometimes livebait and i am not that comfortable with it, i give them 20 odd minutes (lip hooked) and if i have not had a take i let them go. i find my behaviour quite amusing and i know that it all boils down to having a guilty conscience and that when you really think about it, the question always arises whether you should even be fishing in the first place if you feel that badly about live baiting.

i also find that i end up having more fun trying to catch the live bait! :rolleyes:

Fishing, the only rule is that there is no rule!